NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-02-2014, 08:35 AM
Richard Simon

Default Ron Keurajian's HOF Autograph book

I was using the book once again the other day and wondering how many of you own Ron Keurajian's Hall of Fame Autographs Guide?
I have owned it since it came out and do find it to be quite useful.
Any others have thoughts about this book?
With the proliferation of junk on ebay and elsewhere this book can certainly answer a lot of the questions that pop up on this board.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 01-02-2014, 08:47 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Pre-ordered it and received on first shipment day. The amount of great info in this book is priceless. I recommend it to everyone.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 01-02-2014, 10:09 AM
M@rk Cl@ry

Have it, great source
Old 01-02-2014, 10:16 AM
John Smithwick

Purchased it through Amazon after I saw it mentioned on this site a number of months ago. Great read. It also helped to rekindle my interest in autographs.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:18 AM
Peter F

Ever since this summer Richard when I got interested in vintage HOFer autographs I have found that I use this book constantly.

I actually bought it before I was interested in autos because I thought it was a great reference book to own.

Peter

Last edited by WillowGrove; 01-02-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:21 AM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

I consider this the bible for vintage HOF BB collecting, yes I have a copy.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:23 AM
Scott R.

I own Ron's book and it has helped me quite a bit. As a new collector, it helped me get jump started in regards to building my knowledge base (still a long way to go

More specifically, it's prevented me from making some potentially costly mistakes. A few months back, I almost moved on a Ruth piece...which was JSA certed, and which got the PSA "likely genuine". Just before pulling the trigger on the deal, I reviewed Ron's book, and sure enough, he specifically discussed this exact piece in there. Obviously opinions do differ on this particular piece, but I was very appreciative to have all the info available before making an expensive decision.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:23 AM
J@son.K

I also have this book and found it to be quite useful. I also wish a book like this would be produced with NON-HOFers too someday, like Pete Rose, Joe Jackson, Lefty O'Doul, etc. I do think that more signature samples would have been great, especially for guys who have changed their signatures over the years. Ron does attempt at showing the various signatures over the years for some, but didn't have enough space (I'm assuming) for many of the others.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:25 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

have it and love it
Old 01-02-2014, 01:25 PM
Steve Zarelli

Ok... I like the book and have it, but let me play devils advocate...

It is a good reference and I particularly like the narrative. The section before the signature examples is quite enjoyable and I learned from it.

That said, how can anyone seriously use it to "authenticate?" Many of the players have one or two examples. How can it be an effective authentication tool based on one or two examples? Of course anything but the most grossly malformed obvious fake is going to look close to one or two examples. The most common Killebrew fakes are nearly indistinguishable from the one small example featured in the book.

In a number of sections, common secretarials or fake styles are discussed but not pictured. Not having a Mays wife signed or DiMaggio sister signed, for example, are big misses. The cookie cutter Mantle fakes we see every day, when viewed as a singular example, are going to look "ok." So, common fake styles would have been a welcome addition.

Additionally, the vast majority of sections feature language such as, "he is not the target of skilled forgers." This is misleading and dangerous in my opinion. Just what does he consider a skilled forger? The layperson would walk away from this book thinking only the big ones like Ruth, Cobb, etc. are skillfully forged and every other fake should be obvious.

I understand it's probably impossible to feature a detailed study for each player. Big ones like Ruth and Cobb are handled beautifully. Mr. Keurajian is to be complimented and it is excellent overall.

But, it leaves me scratching my head a bit when people say they use it to buy autographs. As an example, is there anyone in the world that would look at the 3 grainy examples in the Tony Lazzeri section and then go out a buy a Lazzeri in confidence based on the book alone?
Old 01-02-2014, 02:03 PM
J@son.K

Steve, I totally agree with you here. I do enjoy the book and it's a good investment for most collectors, but you did point out some of the weaknesses like the "not a target of skilled forgers" commentary...which may imply that the signature can still be mass forged by less skilled forgers. Also, I noticed that the general value of all the signatures seems to have a minimum of $100, which I have to disagree with. Also, by stating in the book that most signatures are a minimum of $100 a pop would still make it attractive for forgers to target.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:08 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
Ok... I like the book and have it, but let me play devils advocate...

It is a good reference and I particularly like the narrative. The section before the signature examples is quite enjoyable and I learned from it.

That said, how can anyone seriously use it to "authenticate?" Many of the players have one or two examples. How can it be an effective authentication tool based on one or two examples? Of course anything but the most grossly malformed obvious fake is going to look close to one or two examples. The most common Killebrew fakes are nearly indistinguishable from the one small example featured in the book.

In a number of sections, common secretarials or fake styles are discussed but not pictured. Not having a Mays wife signed or DiMaggio sister signed, for example, are big misses. The cookie cutter Mantle fakes we see every day, when viewed as a singular example, are going to look "ok." So, common fake styles would have been a welcome addition.

Additionally, the vast majority of sections feature language such as, "he is not the target of skilled forgers." This is misleading and dangerous in my opinion. Just what does he consider a skilled forger? The layperson would walk away from this book thinking only the big ones like Ruth, Cobb, etc. are skillfully forged and every other fake should be obvious.

I understand it's probably impossible to feature a detailed study for each player. Big ones like Ruth and Cobb are handled beautifully. Mr. Keurajian is to be complimented and it is excellent overall.

But, it leaves me scratching my head a bit when people say they use it to buy autographs. As an example, is there anyone in the world that would look at the 3 grainy examples in the Tony Lazzeri section and then go out a buy a Lazzeri in confidence based on the book alone?
Steve, I'm sitting here writing and there you go taking away my thunder....

J/K.

I will agree with Steve's assessment on Keurajian's book.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:11 PM
Jos.eph Dw.ek

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
Steve, I'm sitting here writing and there you go taking away my thunder....

J/K.

I will agree with Steve's assessment on Keurajian's book.
+1. I was not impressed at all with the book.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:41 PM
Charlie

I Agree with the above.
I was really looking forward to the book and think I got all caught up in the hype.
I remember talking to Jim Stinson about this and he made a very good comment. If one was to prepare a really comprehensive analysis of all the baseball HOF autographs ; on all the various mediums; covering the players signing spans, you will have a 10 volume reference service that would probably be out of most peoples budget.

What Ron put together is a start, and a helpful one at that, but I will still venture to say if I was buying a certain $$$ autograph I will trust a certain 3-4 dealers over my looking at a black & white print of an autograph
Old 01-02-2014, 05:16 PM
James Wymer

I received the book early in it's release. I like the explanations in the beginning teaching some of the things to look for in all forgeries. I liked it a lot, but I do not have the experience in autos that most of you have.
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 01-02-2014, 08:29 PM
Brandon

I also have enjoyed my copy. I more so enjoyed learning about the forgeries of certain player signatures and what to look for. I'm personally not planning on using mine to match up his examples of legit autographs with ones I will be purchasing in the future.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:42 PM
Wayne Walker

Very good book that I'm happy to own.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 01-03-2014, 06:28 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Default Book

I think the book is well done and I learned from it. I cannot say that about too many reference books nowadays. I think it was worth my money. I will also agree with some of what people have already mentioned about detail, but there is only so much detail that can be explained. The book is generally written for the casual collector, not necassarily the expert collector. I do think that even the expert collector / dealer can learn from this book as well though.

I will also echo the comments about wishing there was more to it than HOF autographs. Not necessarily those players mentioned, but other early players. Bottom line, I think it is well done and I would buy it again if I had to do all over.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:40 AM
Richard Simon

Remember one thing, this is a guide book. Like a price guide it provides a great service but it cannot be a be all and end all for autographs. As a post stated earlier that would require a 10 volume set.
I find the book to be very useful but my exemplar file, accumulated over many years, is what I rely on the most.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 01-03-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:23 AM
Christopher Williams

All I remember is that there was a ton of hype of it being the "Be All" book.

I purchased mine on Ebay for $20.00 and consider it somewhat of a reference book. Although I must admit, I haven't looked at it in long time.

I'm sure Mr. Keurajian put a lot of effort into writing his book, which I can appreciate.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:07 PM
Steve Zarelli

It was a ton of work and he did a great job. In all likelihood, the best reference one could have short of the multi-volume set.

In my previous post I may have come off as critical, but I was just offering a counterbalance to some of the hyperbolic accolades.

Is it handy and informative and probably the best BB HOF Reference available? YES.

When the book is opened do Angels of Light shoot out and infuse you with autograph authentication omniscience? Probably not.

I recall certain parties, including one former member here, who were eagerly awaiting the release of this book because it was sure to rock the hobby and bring the TPAs to their knees. Did that happen?

Last edited by Mr. Zipper; 01-03-2014 at 12:08 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-03-2014, 12:12 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

I just picked it up for my iPad mini. My initial reaction is that it will be a nice addition to my reference guide collection and I am glad it will travel with me so easily.

Jeff
Old 01-03-2014, 12:17 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
It was a ton of work and he did a great job. In all likelihood, the best reference one could have short of the multi-volume set.

In my previous post I may have come off as critical, but I was just offering a counterbalance to some of the hyperbolic accolades.

Is it handy and informative and probably the best BB HOF Reference available? YES.

When the book is opened do Angels of Light shoot out and infuse you with autograph authentication omniscience? Probably not.

I recall certain parties, including one former member here, who were eagerly awaiting the release of this book because it was sure to rock the hobby and bring the TPAs to their knees. Did that happen?
I don't think we were being critical at all, Mr. Zipper, but maybe we are, and that's okay, too.

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 01-03-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:00 PM

Bobby Poll put out a HOF autograph book a few years ago. I bought it and use it from time to time. LOTS of examples and shows changes in the players autograph over the years with dates. Pretty nice book for $30

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTOGRAPH-RE...item4acbb314da