NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-24-2018, 09:39 AM
Mark

Default Beginner Set Building Question

I have been considering starting my first ever set and I have a few questions. I have seen some opinions on here that a good and fun way to complete a set is to buy a starter set to get the ball rolling as opposed to building the set card by card.

I have been looking at completed sales for the set in question (1968 Topps) and have seen that the prices vary quite a bit. Obviously, condition is the primary cause of differing prices, but several sets that appear to be the same grade (VG-EX) and will sell at different prices.

How do I know if I’m getting an OK deal? Is there a price-per-card for commons in the VG-EX grade that I should aim for? For 100+ card lots, there obviously won’t be an individual picture for every card, so how can I be sure there won’t be many cards below the advertised grade?

Thanks so much for any insight. I’m really excited about tackling my first vintage project.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:47 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

If I were you I’d look for a lot that contains a Ryan, Bench, or the Tigers Team Card. Those are going to be the ones that cost the $$$. You can usually pick up a partial set with a Ryan for about what the Ryan would cost alone.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:29 PM
sfh24

Mantle will be the 2nd highest card in the set followed by Bench. Superstars #490 will be the 4th most expensive. Mays and Clemente will be next. Tigers Team card is routinely found in NRMT around $40-50. I am currently in the final stages of upgrading a 1968 to EXMT/NRMT with only a handful (<20) of EX to replace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxcat View Post
If I were you I’d look for a lot that contains a Ryan, Bench, or the Tigers Team Card. Those are going to be the ones that cost the $$$. You can usually pick up a partial set with a Ryan for about what the Ryan would cost alone.

Last edited by sfh24; 12-24-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:12 PM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfh24 View Post
Mantle will be the 2nd highest card in the set followed by Bench. Superstars #490 will be the 4th most expensive. Mays and Clemente will be next. Tigers Team card is routinely found in NRMT around $40-50. I am currently in the final stages of upgrading a 1968 to EXMT/NRMT with only a handful (<20) of EX to replace.
When you initially started the EX set, did you buy the commons in any lots? I’m looking at some on eBay and they are listed in the $0.45/card range. Is that reasonable for the 68 set in VG-EX?
Old 12-24-2018, 05:38 PM
sfh24

I actually bought the set complete. I would say the overall condition was EX with none above EXMT. The Ryan was EX+ (PSA 5 range, possibly 6). I paid $1300 for the set and I am not certain that it was a good price.

My current total spend on the upgrade is $1522 and nearly every card has been upgraded excluding the Ryan which will be coming soon. All HOFs have been upgraded to NRMT or better and as stated, only a handful of EXs left. The EXs that are left would be considered EXMT by some. It has kind of turned into a long term project now to end up with a "pristine" set.

You probably want to determine what grade of set you will be comfortable with and then come up with a plan. I would say that .45/ea for VGEX is decent. I usually shoot for $1-2 for EXMT/NRMT but routinely pay more depending upon the series and player. It is conceivable that you could do better than .45/ea if you find the right auction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoffer2 View Post
When you initially started the EX set, did you buy the commons in any lots? I’m looking at some on eBay and they are listed in the $0.45/card range. Is that reasonable for the 68 set in VG-EX?

Last edited by sfh24; 12-24-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-25-2018, 03:12 AM
Lonnie Nagel

So here's the deal with vintage card collecting -

It grows on you - It becomes an itch that HAS to be scratched

There is no right or wrong way to do it - eventually you will find what your level of satisfaction is.

I would suggest that you simply post a request on Net 54 asking for starter lots of commons. I would think are tons of guys on here that will assist.

Then pick a key card or two and go after those individually in the grade/price that you want or have budget for. I wouldn't overly stress too much on price - pricing is very subjective and factors like perfect centering command significantly higher prices than off centered examples in the exact same grade.

This is coming from a guy that started a 1955 Topps over 20 years ago with the purchase of 40 low grade commons. Im still working on the 55's and have put together a low grade, mid grade and high grade set.

The high grade set consists of all 7s or better and Im down to needing just a couple of cards for it. (Is currently #1 set on the SGC registry)

Anyway - congrats on your decision to jump in. The hobby always needs more true collectors.

Last edited by toledo_mudhen; 12-25-2018 at 03:13 AM.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:29 PM
Keith

I've bought 6 sets (1970-1976) over the past 18 months. I bought the first 4 on eBay. The prices were all over the place. Sellers like Probstein123, PWCC and a 3rd one (New England Sports Cards? Name is escaping me, but they are in Boston) will have higher prices than the average private eBayer. In my experience it's difficult to accurately assess the condition of the cards in a typical eBay listing with the cards in plastic sheets. The better listings that have a breakdown of condition would make me feel more comfortable. In two of the sets I did well and didn't need to upgrade more than a handful of cards. The two other sets needed a lot of upgrades and I probably would have been better off holding out for a higher quality set.

I bought two other sets off a third party specialty auction house, not eBay. I had mixed results there too. The descriptions weren't 100% accurate either, but the prices were much cheaper and seemed more predictable than eBay (no last minute giant spikes in the final bidding minutes).

I am also looking to build a 1968 set one day. I don't see the pre-1970 sets for sale on eBay as often. My strategy this time would be to look at these 3rd party auction houses and pay close attention to the condition of the higher number cards. That is where the costs really go up. You can go on eBay now and follow some of the card sales from GregMorris as he breaks up vintage sets every day and it will give you an idea of what the commons cost.

"In my day" we were all set builders and I've seen it's become a lost pursuit over time. I'm glad to see people wanting to take on the challenge. It's well worth it. I genuinely enjoy reading the backs of the common cards more than I do admiring the Ryans, Aarons and Clementes of the sets.
Old 12-29-2018, 02:02 PM
Mark

Thank you everyone for your well-thought out and helpful replies!
Old 12-29-2018, 06:27 PM
St@n Go.len

Just do alot of research. Check eBay constantly and be patient you can get deals.

And if you go after a 72 set get one with the high numbers ...oooo weeee those are a pain to piece together for cheap.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2018, 06:39 PM
Al Richter

The most important thing Mark, is to have fun doing it