NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-11-2018, 05:35 PM

Default One More Thought On Baines...

Not sure this point has been made.
But you gotta feel bad for him I think.

His HOF selection just casts his very very respectable career in an unwanted negative spotlight.

I think most people, even ballplayers would be thrilled to have a career like his. And now, he’ll never get that credit.

Such a mess.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:21 PM

I respectfully disagree. It’s better to be the worst HOF player than the best non-HOF player. Whether it’s deserved or not being a hall of famer defines a player and ensures a legacy that will last much longer than the player would otherwise have. That’s not to mention the monetary benefit that will go along with the increased demand for his time and signature.

Jason
Old 12-11-2018, 06:22 PM
je.sse @rnot

I would guess he's pleasantly surprised he got in and couldn't care less what a few writers or espn reporters have to say. He already knows how the writers voted in years past.

Just saw Jason's post. I hadn't considered that but he should be able to earn quite a bit more signing at shows now too.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 12-11-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonxmay View Post
I respectfully disagree. It’s better to be the worst HOF player than the best non-HOF player. Whether it’s deserved or not being a hall of famer defines a player and ensures a legacy that will last much longer than the player would otherwise have. That’s not to mention the monetary benefit that will go along with the increased demand for his time and signature.

Jason
+1
Old 12-12-2018, 01:06 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I agree with the first poster. I'd be embarrassed if I were he. Just my opinion of course.

Last edited by drcy; 12-12-2018 at 01:09 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:45 AM
Dave Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonxmay View Post

Jason
Concur. I think of Rabbit Maranville and his .258 lifetime BA and 28 career HR's. Wonder how Gil Hodges would think of that? Maranville - like Baines and Smith - got into the HOF on old timers votes who played with him or were friends of his. The HOF has become a pathetic joke.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:54 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
I agree with the first poster. I'd be embarrassed if I were he. Just my opinion of course.
A buddy/neighbor of mine is a very close friend of Harold Baines and was invited by him to attend the induction ceremony. There was no mention of embarrassment.

Last edited by mechanicalman; 12-12-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:45 PM
M.ichael Yaz.back

Harold Baines was an above average ball player who played for two decades. He amassed numbers most professional players never get close to. He was humble and solid throughout his career and a darn good hitter. He was pleasure to watch and root for. Is he a hof'er? I agree with the majority, not quite. But he certainly has nothing to be embarrassed about. I posted earlier that the hof is becoming watered down and sad. But you know what? The more I think about it, maybe good guys like Baines should be getting in instead of today's greedy, ungrateful, pay me now, .240 hitting bazillionaires who only care how far their last homerun went. Consistency, humility, production, and playing the game right should count for something. Wishful thinking, I know...