NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 07-20-2012, 10:21 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Default Ruth Signed ball, funny

Who wouldn't want this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/bABE-rUTH-SI...item3cc9034c77
Old 07-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Or this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BABE-RUTH-AU...item5894ec012c
Old 07-20-2012, 10:45 AM
$teve O.

Great description and picture of the rUTH ball!Who wouldn't want it.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
Oh my goodness!!!!!! Here it is. Is the seller really serious?

jmb-2.JPG

jmb-1.jpg

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 07-20-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:34 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
I emailed the seller because I'm just amazed at this! How do you go 6 years on ebay without a single transaction, then come out with a Babe Ruth signed ball without actually showing a signature or description of any kind, and actually think someone will bid?? Why not just throw your insertion money out the window?

Ken
Old 07-20-2012, 12:21 PM
octavio ranzola

christopher come on it has 25 bids lol
Old 07-20-2012, 12:25 PM

Default JimStinson

One of the reasons for these wierd autographs on e-bay and elsewhere MIGHT be because the person genuinely believes they are good. I have had countless episodes of meeting with people who show be the Babe Ruth (or others) and tell me they have been in the family for decades and now want to sell them. Some of the autographs are not even close , so when I break the bad news the first words out of their mouths are

1) I don't know what I'm talking about , Uncle Charlie got it himself and its been in the family for years
2) They will sell it on e-bay themselves

Some of the stories are unexplainable , I met with an elderly man once over a decade ago who came to see me with his daughter, he was on a respirator and in a wheel chair and in his 90's , before he showed me the ball he spent 30 minutes telling me about how he got the autograph, shaking the Babe's hand watching him sign it etc. I was absolutely certain before even looking at it that it was real. When he finally handed it to me I could see instantly that it was signed by Mrs Babe Ruth. I politely declined to buy the ball and he then told me the name of a well known former autograph dealer who now works for an auction company that offered him $8,000 for it. Don;t know if that was true or not but thats what he said. Then he wanted to know WHY I didn;t want to buy it and after going around and around I finally told him.

If he could have got out of his wheelchair to hit me he would have , be became furious and said HE WATCHED BABE RUTH SIGN THE BALL and told me I was calling him a liar. It was quite a scene and for a minute there I thought the daughter might take a poke at me, I tried to be as diplomatic as I could be so my point is that some of these folks actually believe what they have is genuine and despite anything anyone can tell them what they have is the real deal.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:45 PM
J@RR0D

I just picked these up on ebay last night, I'm so excited to get them!

Signed Post-It's of Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, and Joe Jackson! They've got to be rare!!!

Old 07-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmavl View Post
I just picked these up on ebay last night, I'm so excited to get them!

Signed Post-It's of Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, and Joe Jackson! They've got to be rare!!!

That's funny, Jarrod!!!!!!!!
Old 07-20-2012, 12:58 PM
Christopher Williams

[QUOTE=JimStinson;1016286]One of the reasons for these wierd autographs on e-bay and elsewhere MIGHT be because the person genuinely believes they are good.

Ditto.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:59 PM
J@RR0D

Maybe so, I guess some people don't research and compare.

Last edited by scmavl; 07-20-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Jarrod, how much for the Joe Jackson?
Old 07-20-2012, 04:19 PM
Banned

there are numerous bad autographs where the person believes it is good. you just can't tell them otherwise.

a guy had a james corbett signature recently that wasn't any good. he asked me if i wanted to buy an old 1892 james corbett signature. i told him it wasnt any good.

he then said that he asked me if i wanted to buy it, not if it was authentic, because he already knew it was authentic. (it's not).

i told him i could show him what was wrong. he didnt want to know. i showed him anyway , he didnt care and said i didnt know what i was talking about,

he said i was an amateur because he sent it into spence and spence gave it a coa just like i knew spence would do. It's not a real corbett autograph, now it has a spence coa. it might as well have been signed by bozo the clown but if they don't want to listen, there isnt anything anyone can do. now he might be able to sell it because spence looked at it for awhile and gave it a coa.

it's so frustrating.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:25 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
That's funny, Jarrod!!!!!!!!
That Joe Jackson is dead on! Beautiful find!
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123