NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Default (don't jump in on because it's political) Jim Bunning (on BB HOF'ers vs. politicians)

Posted By: Howard W. Rosenberg

You shouldn't jump in on the thread, since Bunning, the HOF pitcher, is a political figure and the board is not for partisan exchanges. But still, an interview with him in today's New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/06/us/06bunning.html?ref=us

has a meaty baseball quote from him. Referring to his current political difficulties in summoning support for a possible re-election bid, he reportedly said:

"When you've dealt with Ted Williams and Mickey Mantle and Yogi Berra and Stan Musial," he said, "the people I'm dealing with now are kind of down the scale."

Old 03-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Default (don't jump in on because it's political) Jim Bunning (on BB HOF'ers vs. politicians)

Posted By: Pennsylvania Ted

Every 6 years when he is up for re-election, the media tell us he is "going down" !

And, Bunning ends up winning by 5% points or more. It's the same old "hogwash" from a media that does not
appreciate Jim's conservative politics.

I've met Jim up in Cooperstown and had a nice conversation with him, he is a fine gentleman with a handshake
that crushes your hand.

I can predict that this thread will only deterioate from this post on.

TED Z

Old 03-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

While I do not agree with his politics, I really do like Bunning. Like Ted mentioned, his handshake was tough. The strongest and largest hands I ever shook happened to belong to Frank Thomas (the original)...my hand looked like a kid's wrapped in his and I have the feeling he could have crushed my hand easily. Big guy, big handshake!

Joshua

PS See it has not gone downhill yet!

Old 03-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Well...I'm not sure what the purpose of this thread is, but if it turns ugly it's getting locked.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Lutz

My earliest (and inirradicable) memory of Bunning is from 1968, when I was a young boy eagerly going out to Forbes Field to see the Pirates' new ace. Well, it turned out that in the Year of the Pitcher he was the only major league pitcher who had a terrible year. 4 and 14, if I recall.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JohnnyH

He has a great 1958 Topps card

Old 03-06-2009, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Stone

He is a senile idot --let's lock this thread and talk baseball cards.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Simon

I agree with that assessment but I was at his perfect game and have my ticket stub, so I have semi-mixed feelings about him.
==

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss

Old 03-06-2009, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken Wirt

Speaking of 1968:

[linked image]

Old 03-06-2009, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Is anyone aware of any postcards, team issues, or anything of him with the Dodgers?

Old 03-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I have no opinion whatsoever about Mr. Bunning, but I distinctly remember his perfect game. I know I listened to it or watched it.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

A great pitcher, a terrific senator and an American hero.

One of the greats in his generation overall.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Why an American hero? Did he ever serve his country in wartime? If he did it is well hidden. Does being a Senator qualify as a hero?

Perhaps this qualifies him as a hero:

On December 18, 2008, the Lexington Herald Leader reported that Sen. Bunning's non-profit foundation, the Jim Bunning Foundation, has given less than 25 percent of its proceeds to charity. The charity has taken in $504,000 since 1996, according to Senate and tax records; during that period, Senator Bunning was paid $180,000 in salary by the foundation while working a reported one hour per week. Bunning Foundation board members include his wife Mary, and Cincinnati tire dealer Bob Sumerel.
Bunning's salary alone not counting payroll taxes, legal expenses and other administrative costs has consumed 36 percent of the money his foundation has collected, the largest share. Only 27 percent has gone to charitable work.
A legitimate charity's administrative costs should be between 20 to 30 percent of its expenses, with most of its money going to charitable work, said Claire Gaudiani, professor at the New York University Center for Philanthropy and Fundraising.
Referring to the numbers at the Jim Bunning Foundation, Gaudiani said: "These are the wrong percentages. This is backwards."

=

Unknown author

--

The Boss

Old 03-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Atkatz

Hey, Jim. Is there a Republican Senator who, in your opinion, is not an "American hero"?

(Other than those who voted for the stimulus package.)

Old 03-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

Kentuckian and Republican.....
But Bunning has lost it........

I would have a problem voting for him.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John K

I will never have a bad word to say about Jim now that I've read the quote about Ted Williams. Of course, Ted thought all pitchers were stupid. Except, I think, Ed Lopat.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Tom,

Bunning has lost it but I would still vote for him.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

DOUBLE POST

Old 03-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Just as I suspected, the usual suspects emerged from their caves.

So, pardon me while I reprise my 1st post here.
Every 6 years when Bunning is up for re-election, the media tell us he is "going down" !

And, Bunning ends up winning by 5% points or more. It's the same old "horse-crap" from
a media that does not appreciate Jim Bunning's conservative politics.

I've met Jim in Cooperstown and had a nice conversation with him, he's a fine gentleman
with a handshake that crushes your hand.

I CAN PREDICT THAT THIS THREAD WILL DETERIOATE FROM THIS POST ON.........
And, sure enough it did....so, I add to it it....an over-the-hill CONSERVATIVE in Congress
is still more intelligent than a LI-b-E-ral in Congress.

Since Election day the DOW has dropped 35% ! !

To quote Bette Davis from one of her great movies....."Fasten your seat belts people, we
are in for a rough and tumble ride"......
these next 2 years.

T-Rex TED

Old 03-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Goff

Being from Kentucky, I feel he is an embarrassment to the state. I can not believe he is running for re-election. McConnell pretty much tells him how to vote. I will not be voting for him. All the democrats have to do is bring a decent candidate (not Bruce Lunsford) and they can take the seat...

As for baseball, he was a good pitcher...

Old 03-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

"Since Election day the DOW has dropped 35% ! !"

Ted, that will only make it more fun when it gets back to 14,000 next February. You know, when such Dow stocks as Citigroup, Bank of America and GM bounce back.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Ted- the quote was from "All About Eve."

14,000 Dow...we won't live to see that again.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Obama's gonna be Prez for at least four more years. At this rate you're gonna hafta pay someone to take your stocks.

Better get out now, Ted.

You, too, Jeff.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Administrator

David, I don't invest in the stock market. And I sold my real estate three years ago. Happily for me that was a pretty damn smart bet on both counts.

I may jump back into the market, however, now that you've told us that the Dow will be back to 14,000 in a year or two.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Administrator

No. Barry's right.

We won't live to see 14,000 again.

Wanna bet?

Old 03-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Administrator

JEFF L

You asked me about my long conversation with Ted Williams (in the Cooperstown thread).
Did you get a chance to read it ?

DAVID A

I sold all my stock in my 401K last August....is that what you would call brilliant....or what ?

See, us conservatives are no "dummies".

TED Z

Old 03-06-2009, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Ted, I missed it, I'll read it right now.

And David, I'm still waiting for you to take me up on my bet of Dow 14,000 in the 1-2 years that you predicted (and Nasdaq 5000 -- it's only been 9 years and it's still down 75%). I offered 10 to 1 odds but now I'll give you 20 to 1. Oh hell, 30 to 1.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Administrator

So it won't be two. But it will probably be within five.

Or do you believe that "we won't live to see it"?

Old 03-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: sagard

Bunning seemed pretty cool when I met him as a kid in the '80s. I think he signed virtually every card in the show whether it portrayed him or not.

As for his politics I believe he is fiscally conservative right?

That would be the only reason I see for him to be despised by both Dems and Republicans.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Two Kentuckians responded to this thread, one a Republican who said he probably would not vote for him and the other calling him an embarrassment.
And a Kentucky newspaper (I doubt if it is L-I-B-E-R-AL, ah THAT dirty word) has exposed his fraudulent charity.
=

Unknown author

--

The Boss

Old 03-06-2009, 06:30 PM
Administrator

It will be at least five years David, maybe more. I think America is shellshocked and will not be jumping back into the stock market with the same vigor for a very long time. The landscape is changing.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

FACTS:

Obama and his congress has done more damage with the economy with stimulus than Bush or anyone did in the past 8 years. DOW is going sub 5500. Book it! 14000 will not be seen again until I am a senior citizen...(I am 35). Book that too! GM is going down as well as a couple of major banks. We will see deflation then hyperinflation making the dollar worthless......I am glad I own some land and know how to hunt, grow food, fish and build. Better buy your ammo now before Obama takes it away from the good people who only use it for hunting and protection. The free ride is over! Now who wants to sell me some vintage cards?

Jason

Old 03-06-2009, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

ALL the newspapers in KY are HIGHLY liberal. Fortunately, they have about 10 total pages. I read the sports and do the sudoku and two crossword puzzles. That's about where it ends....

I said I wouldn't vote for him and I would hope that the Republicans would find a better candidate to challenge him in the primaries. I would be enthused about Sec of State Trey Greyson. We'll see. This will clearly be Bunning's most difficult race--because of his recent statements and because he's not raised much $$ so far. We'll see. Recent statements including WAY more than the Ruth Bader Ginsberg (sp?) statement.

He was a great pitcher though. Never got to see him pitch. I think, may be wrong, that he won 100 games in each the National and American Leagues and had 1000 strikeouts in each league as well. Not sure anyone else has done that before.

STILL an obliging signer from what I hear. About 6-8 years ago, I sent a couple of balls and 4-5 cards to his office in Fort Mitchell, KY near Cinci and he signed them within a couple weeks.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Administrator

David, your prediction is based on a gut feeling of America's economy and history of bouncing back from economic woes. It's not based on anything concrete or real, however. Unfortunately, the landscape is different now than it's been for a very long time. Japan's stock index is at a 26 year low. Wrap your head around that for a second. 26 years of nothing. And America has gone decades with the stock market flat. There is no reason to presume that we will bounce back anytime soon because there is simply no catalyst on the horizon for a very long time which would suggest our economy will start booming again (especially since we're not close to hitting rock bottom yet). Will the Dow hit 14,000 in our lifetimes again? Yes, I believe. Will the Nasdaq hit 5000? Unless you're the Dannen Yogurt Man I'm not certain you'll see that in your lifetime.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Jason, while I disagree with much if not all of what Obama is doing with the economy now, he wouldn't have been given this blank check by the American public if not for the destruction of our economy over the past 8 years under W's watch. I don't blame it all on Bush because God knows the Democrats and Republicans did it together; however, the buck stops with the President. That's just how the public sees it, rightly or wrongly.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

Jeff-

I would agree. Clinton admin's loosening of the banks I think really got the ball rolling. I think W just enhanced it tremendously past 8 years and the war didnt help. We just have seen 2 trillion got right down the tubes for nothing. There will be nothing to show for it. Hell, may as well pass another 5 trillion stimulus and just send every ss # a check for $200K. It will not be worth the paper anyway.

Jason

Old 03-06-2009, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Your numbers are correct regarding Jim Bunning's AL & NL pitching records. No other
pitcher has been better doing both Major Leagues.

Question to you (or anyone here)......how many other pitchers, besides Jim Bunning,
have pitched No Hitters in both Leagues ?

TED Z

Old 03-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Ted, Nolan Ryan for sure and I believe Hideo Nomo did it (Dodgers and Boston?).

Old 03-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Goff

Yeah the Courier Journal is highly liberal. The only problem I have with him when he voted against the bailout for the auto makers. Ford may be the number 2 employer in the state (I know it's number 2 in Louisville) and when you vote against the bill, you are voting against workers you represent. I thought if you are elected by the people you are for the people.

Again, I respect him as a ball player and a person, just not as a politician. There is a reason you are voted in the HOF. He was a great pitcher during his time.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Pedro Martinez did too, but the perfect game he pitched in the NL is not official because it was 0-0 after nine innings and he gave up a hit in the 10th (if I have my facts straight).

Old 03-06-2009, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Another day Obama and that useless Congress talk and another TRILLION down the drain.
They are up to 3 TRILLION with their Socialist programs.

If I were President on Jan 21st....I would have taken that 3 TRILLION and divided amongst
the 100 MILLION working families in this country.

Can you imagine how $30,000 in each working families' hands would stimulate the economy ?

Then they would erect a statue to me, like the people of PTOLEMY V rule (circa 196 B.C.).
If you read the translation of the Rosetta Stone, you will find out that the people adored
their ruler, King PTOLEMY V, because he reduced their TAXES and built up their MILITARY
(which protected them from invaders).

My-My how things never change....John F Kennedy and Ronald Reagan and George W Bush
must of read about this King PTOLEMY V.

Just a bit of History for you guys....free of charge.

TED Z

Old 03-06-2009, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Randy Johnson.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Wow. I didn't expect a Rosetta Stone reference.

"Then they would erect a statue to me, like the people of PTOLEMY V rule (circa 196 B.C.).
If you read the translation of the Rosetta Stone, you will find out that the people adored
their ruler, King PTOLEMY V, because he reduced their TAXES and built up their MILITARY
(which protected them from invaders)."

I'm no expert on ancient history, but my guess is that "the people" didn't write that stuff. I'm thinking he or his inner circle might have had a thing to do with it.

I'm just sayin'....

Jeff

Old 03-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Instead of......
"I'm just sayin'...."

Look it up, check it out....The Rosetta Stone and the steele that was erected to King PTOLEMY V
was created by the people under his rule to honor him.

Man do we have a bunch of skeptics on this forum.

TED Z

Old 03-06-2009, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Ted,

Agreed--we need lower taxes not unabashed socialism--lower taxes on individuals and business.

I am embarrassed to be a citizen of this country with the radical left fully in charge.

Jim

Old 03-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Newcomb

"Just a bit of History for you guys....free of charge."

Yeah, I'll be sure to contact you whenever I need an infusion of HISTORY. I suppose you're one of those Republicans who believes that FDR caused the Great Depression--

No hard feelings-- See you next week--
Tim

Old 03-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Okay guys...I just got home from Paul Blart: Mall Cop...my son's 8th birthday was today and that's what he wanted to see...now I'm getting set to make a big Lego vehicle thingy so I don't have time to read this thread...please keep it sane!!!

Old 03-06-2009, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Wrong again, Ted.

The Rosetta Stone is a decree from Ptolemy V in which he grants a tax amnesty to the temple priests of the day, restoring the tax privileges they had traditionally enjoyed from more ancient times. Ptolemy V also gives instructions for the erection of various statues in his own honor.

So much for "the people."

You can look it up.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Stephen Mitchell

timn1 says: "Just a bit of History for you guys....free of charge."

Yeah, I'll be sure to contact you whenever I need an infusion of HISTORY. I suppose you're one of those Republicans who believes that FDR caused the Great Depression--

No hard feelings-- See you next week--
Tim

---

For the record, I am one of those who thinks FDR extended the Great Depression. Much like Obama inherited the situation from Bush (and will make it infinitely worse), FDR was handed the Depression baton from Herbert Hoover (and made it worse through unConstitutional governmental interference with the free market). There are a number of good books currently available on the subject. The Forgotten Man by Amity Schlaes, and New Deal or Raw Deal by Burton W. Folsom, Jr. are two which deal indepth with the subject. I recommend them both.

As for Senator Bunning, he must be doing something right if he's being attacked (or generally hated) by at least 2/3 of the politicians. He has taken some unpopular stands (especially the GM bailout) but I'll bet most of those who respect the Constitution are silently applauding him.

Steve Mitchell

Old 03-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

It's frustrating to see the disconnect people have with what is going on. The stock market is forward looking so it would seem that there is little faith in the presential administration/House/Senate's direction. Along with everything else, we should be talking about the underfunded defined benefit retirement plans all across America. If you believe you have a retirement plan, you may not - at least to the level you think. We have to act now because we quickly have to figure out who to blame. The present presential administration/House/Senate may not own the economy but they own the stock market downturn. Some Americans may have "hope" but the stock market apparently does not. When people figure out that their retirement plan has been creamed, who will they blame? I would bet they will blame their employer - not the present anti-business/big government policies.