NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 08-19-2012, 07:58 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Default Going to Meet Carl Erskine Tomorrow and have a question...

I was thinking of asking him to sign either my 1955 World Series Ticket Stub or Program, but am not 100% sure that I want to...

What do you guys think?

Would you have him sign either??
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 08-19-2012, 08:07 PM
$teve O.

Have him sign both!
Old 08-19-2012, 08:08 PM
Scott

I wouldn't have him sign EITHER , unless they r in beat shape. If only one, Id have the program signed.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:21 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

The stub is from Game 3 and the program is from game 5...His only appearance was in game 4...so that is why I'm not sure...
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

Old 08-19-2012, 08:50 PM
$teve O.

Yeah,I can see not getting the ticket signed.But I would get the program signed.

Last edited by 39special; 08-19-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:55 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Cover or inside on his Picture?

Old 08-19-2012, 10:48 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

James, if it were me, I'd get the program signed only and I'd have it signed on the cover in case you want to display it.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
James, if it were me, I'd get the program signed only and I'd have it signed on the cover in case you want to display it.
+1
Old 08-20-2012, 02:27 PM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmp123 View Post
I was thinking of asking him to sign either my 1955 World Series Ticket Stub or Program, but am not 100% sure that I want to...

What do you guys think?

Would you have him sign either??
I just saw you post in another thread.. What the heck?! How'd the breakfast go?!!!
Old 08-20-2012, 02:32 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

I will post my notes from the discussion this evening...It was a wonderful experience. The man refused to let me pay for my pancakes! A truly great individual.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:32 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Some quick notes from my meeting today with Mr. Erskine....

• Koufax was plucked directly from the sandlot and was given a $20k bonus to sign and in that time it was a lot of money to give someone not established. Anything $20k or more owners required those players to be added to active roster and no farm systems for them. So Koufax put directly on the roster with no formal training/pitching background. There were many times that Koufax felt guilty because he didn’t fit in and felt that he was taking a roster spot from someone more deserving. Carl told me that in 1959, Koufax told him on more than one occasion that he was going to retire and buy into a Los Angeles radio station, but felt like he owed one more season to the Dodgers because of the money they invested in him.

• Frank kellert had the best view of Jackie stealing home in Game 1 and after game said he thought Jackie was out…Later on in the locker room, Jackie had to be restrained from trying to choke Kellert.

• The Brow: Charlie DiGiovanni’s boss was a snake of a man and really gave the Brow a hard time if something didn’t get finished. For instance, several dozen items had to be signed daily by the team (it was just part of the job) and the Brow was a pretty smart kid. He realized early that he needed to check that all the baseballs, yearbooks, etc. were signed by all members of the team. If a signature was missing, then he had to add it. It was never out of malice, but rather to make sure that he didn’t catch fire for the job not being complete.

• Favorite piece of advice he ever received: During his rookie season, Hugh Casey walked up to him and said; “Welcome to the big leagues. There are guys in this league that will hit .330 .340 every season off pitchers in the league and they will hit .330 .340 off of you too. Don’t focus on those guys, but rather the guys hitting ahead of them.” He said that is why he was so successful when he pitched. Focus on the guys ahead and get them out, then give up the double to the big hitter and leave him on base.

• Toughest lineup he had to face: St. Louis Cardinals – Stan Musial followed by Red Schoendienst followed by Enos Slaughter. Said he always pitched well against Stan, but the other guys sometimes gave him fits. He said, “I never liked facing 3 Hall of Famers in one inning”…

• Carl still can’t believe the things that Jackie had to go threw to play baseball. Remembered a time when the KKK showed up at the team hotel and threatened to kill Jackie if he played the next day….

And did I mention the guy bought my pancakes!! He refused to let me pay. He also asked for my address so he could send me a couple things(what? I have no idea).

A class act.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Erskine.jpg (50.4 KB, 96 views)

Old 08-20-2012, 06:24 PM
$teve O.

Great stuff James!!!!
Old 08-20-2012, 06:33 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Great stories, especially the Kellert/Robinson story. Just a couple weeks later, Kellert would be put on waivers and off to the Cubs.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:37 PM

Default JimStinson

Love it !!!