NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-13-2005, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Default framed cards

Posted By: Wade

Do any of you matte and frame your cards? If so, how do you do so without damaging them? Do you frame graded cards? I know some of you must have cards framed, let’s see them. thanks.

Old 09-13-2005, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Default framed cards

Posted By: Scott Forrest

Tape the sleeves to the inside of the matting. You can get a decent mat-cutter for under $100 - mine works great, but the picture below was cut entirely by hand using an x-acto knife.

Old 09-13-2005, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Default framed cards

Posted By: Tim James

The key to framing cards correctly is following the same guidelines as if you an expensive print.It should be reversable so the cards will not be damaged when removed.UV protective glass and PH neutral mats should be used.There is a difference between "acid free" and PH neutral,so be sure and ask for 100% rag,or museum quality matting.Graded cards have enough protection and don't require the materials metioned before.Look for a framer who has a reputation for doing museum quality work.

Old 09-13-2005, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Default framed cards

Posted By: identify7

I like the way cards look in scrapbooks, because you can group whatever you want together and position them where you want. In order to achieve that capability without using glue, staples, etc. I could create a sandwich with the cards placed between mylar and positioned on cardboard in holes cut out to allow the mylared cards to show through.

I could tape the excess mylar to the rear of the cardboard to hold the cards in place, and put a second piece of cardboard on the back to provide additional support. Of course, this approach eliminates the viewing of the rear of the card, but does allow limitless positioning, the adding of text, and other niceties.

But then the front of the cards are subject to damage. So I could cover the fronts with plexiglass or some other clear plastic. Heck, I could use clear plastic to display the backs as well, when wanted. But how do I hold this sandwich together?

And I was thinking of doing this in a binder - like a scrapbook. But the sandwiched "pages" are getting rather thick.

What is the solution to grouping different sized cards on a page?

Old 09-13-2005, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Default framed cards

First of all, almost any kind of presentation can be done without paying someone else. I try to stick with standard-size frames, but there are times when you might need to buy "pairs" of frame borders and combine, or if you need a fancier frame you might want to build your matted display, then have a frame-shop cut the frame and glass for you. I have created several card displays that combine autographs, cards and photos.

A good matt-cutter is the key, and as Tim said, you must get the right kind of matt-board - it's imperative. I'm so paranoid about this that I buy ph-neutral mats for ALL projects, just to make sure I don't accidentally use bad mat scraps at a later date.

To show both sides, you could tape sleeved cards to a piece of clear plastic (something sturdy), then create two windowed matts (one for the front, another for the back), using thinner matt-board. It would have a similar effect to the old Victorian photo albums. In fact, you could buy one of those albums on ebay and it might look pretty cool (I could even sell you one ).

Old 09-13-2005, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Default framed cards

Posted By: Richard Dwyer

I framed my T85 Movie Star cards this way:

I purchased a frame where you could see on both sides. (Glass on both sides). I then had a shop that does vinyl letters print out a matte from an Adobe Illustrator file. The matte was applied to one of the glass sides. I then put it all together with the cards in the middle. You only have to make sure the vinyl material is around the same thickness of the cards to prevent the cards from moving around.

edited to add total cost was $25!

Old 09-13-2005, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Default framed cards

Yes Scott, that sounds better.

But if the card is sleeved and taped, it can not come in contact with the matt material - or does the acid (or whatever) migrate through the sleeve - or are you just paranoid - or does it not matter because there is not much cost difference, and I am just being afraid of spending good card money (cheap)?

As far as you potentially having a Victorian album available, that would be a nice touch.

A matt - cutter! I wonder what that looks like. I betcha it is more than an exacto and a ruler.

Old 09-13-2005, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Default framed cards

Richard:

What holds the glass frame together?

"The matte was applied to one of the glass sides" Does applied = glued?

Old 09-13-2005, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Default framed cards

The frame holds 2 sheets of glass together in the frame. The cards are in between. This way you can see the fronts or backs of the cards. Very professional looking. You can get the frames from Aaron Brothers.

Old 09-13-2005, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Default framed cards

Posted By: Anonymous

Thank you.

When I typed it, my question did not seem stoopid. But you covered my poor selection of words well, and answered what I planned to ask.

Old 09-13-2005, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Default framed cards

Minus the frame. Here are picts that show the matte with cards:

Old 09-13-2005, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Default framed cards

I also use the matts for photos, etc., that aren't in sleeves, so it really makes sense to just get in the habit of using ph-neutral matting for all projects. I will get you a picture of the Victorian album pages so that you have a better idea - one I have has windows for a cabinet photo on each side. But they are definitely ACIDIC, so you have to protect your photos. I was thinking of removing some of them and framing with old photos/etc. - I'll post a scan later on this thread.

For a matt-cutter, just go to a craft store and check out what's available - mine was on sale for about $70 and is a solid no-frills version.

Old 09-13-2005, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Default framed cards

Posted By: joe maples

I had these professionally framed with museum quality and acid free materials years ago, before grading was in vogue. joe

Old 09-13-2005, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Default framed cards

Posted By: Steve Dawson

Scott,

I love that Cowboy team set you have framed, but have one comment...

I can't believe any self-respecting Cowboy fan would even dream of putting a New York Giant so prominently in the middle of a Cowboy display!!!!!

Steve

Old 09-13-2005, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Default framed cards

Posted By: Josh K.

Both done professionally with archival matte board and uv glass

Old 09-14-2005, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Default framed cards

Although I matted/framed mine myself, I used virtually the same matting,frame,no-glare glass as you - for the SN "Gibson/Raymond" (easily my favorite SN premium).

Old 09-14-2005, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Default framed cards

That is actually a copy of the '55 Bowman Landry - I have the original in SGC plastic, purely for protection/aesthetics. I also have a beautiful framed,autographed Landry photo on my wall.

That framed set represents my introduction to ebay - the '67 Dan Reeves was in my first pack of football cards. I saw a beautiful display of the '63 Yankees team set once and decided to do the same with the '67 Cowboys. I searched the internet, buying a few from Dave Levine and others...then discovered ebay.

Unfortunately, the '67 Philly Gum set only has 11 cards (9 players) for the Cowboys, missing Perkins, Renfro and other stars. So I expanded the project to include any starter on the '67 team who had a Philly Gum card from 64-67. There are no Landry cards, the action shot features Dave Edwards and Jerry Rhome holding. There were also no pre-67 cards for a few other stars from that team, like Jethro Pugh.

Also, I built that before I bought my matt-cutter - it took forever to cut all those beveled holes, but I didn't screw up once.