NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-22-2012, 09:00 AM
Mark Fox

Default What is your primary area of focus for your autograph collection

I'm quite new to collecting autographs, but when I collect I like to define a focus of my collection, a goal, or a topic if you will. I also think it's cool to hear about the focus or topic of other collectors collections as well, so please feel free to share! Or perhaps you don't have a focus and you're just all over the place.

As for my focus I'm working towards autographed balls of HOF pitchers. I thought, what better way to assemble a collection of HOF pitcher autographs than on the tool they used to ply their trade with.

My goal is to obtain an autographed ball from each league commission the player played under. So for example, with Warren Spahn I will eventually like to collect a National League ball signed by Spahn with Commissioner Ford C. Frick and another with Commissioner Warren C. Giles

Last edited by markf31; 05-22-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:13 AM
Richard Simon

Uh, I think you should read your title and correct it .

(What is your primary area of fucus)
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 05-22-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:15 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf31 View Post
I'm quite new to collecting autographs, but when I collect I like to define a focus of my collection, a goal, or a topic if you will. I also think it's cool to hear about the focus or topic of other collectors collections as well, so please feel free to share! Or perhaps you don't have a focus and you're just all over the place.

As for my focus I'm working towards autographed balls of HOF pitchers. I thought, what better way to assemble a collection of HOF pitcher autographs than on the tool they used to ply their trade with.

My goal is to obtain an autographed ball from each league commission the player played under. So for example, with Warren Spahn I will eventually like to collect a National League ball signed by Spahn with Commissioner Ford C. Frick and another with Commissioner Warren C. Giles
Those vintage baseballs with HOFers like Spahn are not that easy to find.
Of the later era HOFers I have seen or found a number of Jackie Robinson signed baseballs (most but certainly not all have been good, IMO) but no HOFer with near the number of baseballs signed by Jackie. I think in all my years in this business I have found one vintage Duke Snider ball for example.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 05-22-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:18 AM
Wayne Walker

I collect HOFers myself, with a sub-focus on diversity within that collection. I know collectors that only collect baseballs or 3x5s, but I like to look for more unique and diverse items to add, something on a different format or with a story behind it.

It's getting tough, but I've finally got a new item in my sights!

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 05-22-2012, 09:19 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

HOF autographed rookie cards.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:30 AM
Mark Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Those vintage baseballs with HOFers like Spahn are not that easy to find.
Of the later era HOFers I have seen or found a number of Jackie Robinson signed baseballs (most but certainly not all have been good, IMO) but no HOFer with near the number of baseballs signed by Jackie. I think in all my years in this business I have found one vintage Duke Snider ball for example.
You are right, they are not easy to find but when you can find them they are quite awesome IMO.

Giles NL balls and Cronin AL balls are about as far back as you can go and expect to find much of anything. With that being said 28 of the 31 HOF pitchers who pitched post WWII pitched into the Giles/Cronin era. And let's be honest too, auto'ed balls of pre-war pitchers are extremely hard to come by regardless, as a result my Commissioner qualifier becomes practically impossible. But any pitchers from the mid 1950's on should be much more realistic...not easy, but more realistic.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:22 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

My main focus was the 500 home run club and Roger Maris items. I have now moved onto a new project, trying to complete the full 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers roster....mostly signed checks, cuts, cards, etc.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 05-22-2012, 11:11 AM

Default No-hit pitcher signatures

One of the major areas of focus in my collection is the signatures of all pitchers that threw a no-hit or perfect game from 1893 forward. I collect signed 3 x 5's, GPC and signed cuts, baseballs, cards, and tickets to the actual no-hit games.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:50 PM

Baseball and Hockey HOF, with a few exceptions for Semi-stars or Red Sox/Bruins players.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:33 AM
Richard Simon

I am really all over the place with my autograph collecting now.
I stopped some time ago trying to complete the HOF, just an impossible and way too expensive task.
Now I enjoy collecting my sports teams, the Presidents I thought were good ones and some historical and entertainment figures that I admire for their contributions to society.
--
Old 05-23-2012, 11:02 AM
M@rk Cl@ry

Quote:
I am really all over the place with my autograph collecting now.
I stopped some time ago trying to complete the HOF, just an impossible and way too expensive task.
Now I enjoy collecting my sports teams, the Presidents I thought were good ones and some historical and entertainment figures that I admire for their contributions to society.
Richard - Out of curiosity, how far did you get on completing the HOF set? Who was the most 'rare' guy you had?
Old 05-23-2012, 12:33 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender07 View Post
Richard - Out of curiosity, how far did you get on completing the HOF set? Who was the most 'rare' guy you had?
I had a good number (cannot remember exactly) at the time I stopped.
It has been a while since I broke up the HOFers but I did have all the bigger names that were not in the impossible to acquire category. Ruth, Gehrig, Cobb, Young, Speaker, Johnson, Huggins, McGraw, etc.
I still have Mathewson and that is certainly the rarest one that I have ever had.
Though I am also a Kennedy collector and I do have Lee Harvey Oswald whom I consider to be quite rarer than Matty.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 05-23-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:26 PM
Paul

Signed T206 Cards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SignedT206Collection.jpg (87.9 KB, 166 views)

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 05-23-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:09 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
Signed T206 Cards
insane!
Old 05-23-2012, 02:18 PM

New York Yankees 1903-1927. Theoretical physicists. Various historical and cultural autographs--people who, for one reason or another, interest me. Some examples: Houdini, Lincoln, Einstein, the Beatles, Lon Chaney, Isaac Newton, Dwight Frye, W.C. Fields, Bob Dylan, Neal Armstrong, Colin Clive, the Wright Bros...
Old 05-29-2012, 09:13 AM
M@rk Cl@ry

I like to collect cards signed during the time period the card was issued. I especially like those guys that have a significantly different playing career version of their signature compared to their autograph circuit/Sharpie type.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:05 AM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
New York Yankees 1903-1927. Theoretical physicists. Various historical and cultural autographs--people who, for one reason or another, interest me. Some examples: Houdini, Lincoln, Einstein, the Beatles, Lon Chaney, Isaac Newton, Dwight Frye, W.C. Fields, Bob Dylan, Neal Armstrong, Colin Clive, the Wright Bros...
Neil Armstrong... just busting your chops David!
Old 05-29-2012, 10:12 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
I had a good number (cannot remember exactly) at the time I stopped.
It has been a while since I broke up the HOFers but I did have all the bigger names that were not in the impossible to acquire category. Ruth, Gehrig, Cobb, Young, Speaker, Johnson, Huggins, McGraw, etc.
I still have Mathewson and that is certainly the rarest one that I have ever had.
Though I am also a Kennedy collector and I do have Lee Harvey Oswald whom I consider to be quite rarer than Matty.
What's your Lee Harvey Oswald signed on? Any backlog on how you obtained it?
Old 05-29-2012, 10:31 PM
Paul Hawk

My main focus is signed ROMLBBs. I collect these for any autograph I'm getting today. For older guys no longer with us, I try to get OMLBBs, but if I can't I get whatever I can find, as long as certified.

Currently I am working on team balls of the minor league teams. I used to do 50/50s with fellow collectors with my local MiLB team, but job and family has prevented that recently.

I also collect the HOF. I have some cool ones on ROMLBBs that I got in person: PM Tony Blair, Sec of State James Baker, and Sec of State Connie Rice.

http://vintagebaseballs.blogspot.com

Stop by and say hello!
Old 05-29-2012, 10:57 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Colin Clive...nice! Dr. Frankenstein died at 37.

I am working on the heavyweight champs, though I will likely never own a Jack Johnson or John L. Sullivan signature.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-29-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
"Crazy am I? We'll see whether I'm crazy or not."

Last edited by David Atkatz; 05-30-2012 at 01:49 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:23 AM
J Stone

I grew up in Oakland during the A's heyday. With the likelihood the city is going to lose ALL of it's professional sports teams within the next 10 years I'm narrowing my focus to autographs of Oakland A's and the Oakland/California Seals former NHL team.

For fun I collect signed cards and photos of players with Big Hair (think Oscar Gamble, Artis Gilmore, Ross Grimsley).

I have an extensive collection of baseball HOFers and non-HOFers from the 1900s-1960s but I simply can't afford to play in that arena any more.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:50 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I always got a big laugh when watching Oscar Gamble with that big hair and that little batting helmet that seemed to be floating on top. I've heard stories that he's a real nice guy, which reminds me that I still need a signed ball from him for my 69 Cubs project.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
I always got a big laugh when watching Oscar Gamble with that big hair and that little batting helmet that seemed to be floating on top. I've heard stories that he's a real nice guy, which reminds me that I still need a signed ball from him for my 69 Cubs project.
One of my favorite Oscar Gamble quotes happened when, during the mid-1970's, Gamble and his teammates were on the team bus and were passing by Anaheim Stadium. The "Big A" out in the parking lot announced that Nolan Ryan would be pitching for the Angels that night.

Gamble announced to his teammates on the bus:
"A good day today might be an 0-4 with 4 strikeouts and not get hit!"

Last edited by Scott Garner; 05-30-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:27 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default Lack of focus...

I just love autographs and I'm all over the place as a results. At this point, I collect, in no particular order...
  • Hall of Fame Index Cards
  • Perez Steele Post Cards
  • Perez Steele Group Great Moments - see Cy Young #1. I have a second Cy going as well as a Jackie Robinson (ROY) going...
  • Hall of Famer ROMLB
  • Award Winner Index Cards - Cy Young, MVP and ROY
  • 1991 Fleer Ultra Autographed Set
  • 2006 & 2007 Topps Heritage Autographed Set
  • 1978 Yankees Burger King Poster - almost done!
This doesn't include any random autographs (including Presidential) that I come across, especially if an in-person opportunity occurs! Unlike cards, autographs just seem to take up too much time to secure so I don't add that much to my collection as I would like to...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PerezSteele.CyYoung.AwardWinnersI.jpg (75.6 KB, 141 views)
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

I am working on the heavyweight champs, though I will likely never own a Jack Johnson or John L. Sullivan signature.

i collect autographs of boxing heavyweight champions too, and the challengers but had to sell them all. i still needed a sullivan too, and a . Now i am back to square 1.

Last edited by travrosty; 05-30-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
i collect autographs of boxing heavyweight champions too, and the challengers but had to sell them all. i still needed a sullivan too, and a . Now i am back to square 1.
That's a shame but at least you get the fun of doing it again As Spock observed in Amok Time: "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

I am currently working on my 4th iteration of the 1954 Topps baseball set, [though I only collect stars and popular players].

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-01-2012, 03:54 PM
qu@n nguy3n

50's-90's topps run of hof/stars/rookies
Old 06-06-2012, 09:06 PM
C@rl Greenfeld

I am primarily a signed set collector. I have finished 1985 and 1987 topps sets and the 1968 set minus the Clementes. I need between 2 and 20 to finish 1976, 1979, 1981, 1983 and 1989 topps sets and the 1988-89 pacific legends set. I need about 50 to finish the 2011 topps heritage set and 60 to finish my 1969 topps set.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:10 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Welcome Carl. Are there any sets you haven't started that you plan on collecting?
Old 06-06-2012, 09:29 PM

Hi Carl,

Welcome to net54!
Old 06-06-2012, 09:33 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh528 View Post
I am primarily a signed set collector. I have finished 1985 and 1987 topps sets and the 1968 set minus the Clementes. I need between 2 and 20 to finish 1976, 1979, 1981, 1983 and 1989 topps sets and the 1988-89 pacific legends set. I need about 50 to finish the 2011 topps heritage set and 60 to finish my 1969 topps set.
Do you have a needs list? I have some signed 80s cards around. It's a long shot but I may be able to help you.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 06-06-2012, 10:23 PM
C@rl Greenfeld

Thanks for the welcomes. My guess is I will start working on the 1984, 1986 and/or 1988 topps sets at some point. Have about 200-250 of each. Just haven't started working on them yet. May try another 70s set at some point. I will say the 68 and 69 sets were and have been pretty tough. Not sure if I have the stomach to start another 60s set.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:55 PM
C@rl Greenfeld

My 70's and 80's wantlists are pretty short and tough

1976 topps
#246 Cesar Tovar
#476 Bob Moose
#556 Minnesota Twins (Gene Mauch)
#650 Thurman Munson

1979 topps
#142 Charlie Williams
#163 Glenn Burke
#310 Thurman Munson
#330 George Brett
#336 Bobby Thompson

1981 topps
#57 Dave Roberts
#160 Garry Maddox
#261 Rickey Henderson
#508 Rob Dressler
#681 Mets Team (Joe Torre)

also need to finish some multi-player cards. My white whale though is Rick Anderson on the Mariners rookie stars card

1989 topps
#77 Doyle Alexander
#422 Bo Diaz
Old 06-08-2012, 12:05 PM
J@RR0D

Quote:
My 70's and 80's wantlists are pretty short and tough

1976 topps
#246 Cesar Tovar
#476 Bob Moose
#556 Minnesota Twins (Gene Mauch)
#650 Thurman Munson

1979 topps
#142 Charlie Williams
#163 Glenn Burke
#310 Thurman Munson
#330 George Brett
#336 Bobby Thompson

1981 topps
#57 Dave Roberts
#160 Garry Maddox
#261 Rickey Henderson
#508 Rob Dressler
#681 Mets Team (Joe Torre)

also need to finish some multi-player cards. My white whale though is Rick Anderson on the Mariners rookie stars card

1989 topps
#77 Doyle Alexander
#422 Bo Diaz
I bet that '79 Munson will be tough. I've seen one, but that's it.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Greg

Old 06-08-2012, 12:19 PM
C@rl Greenfeld

I saw this 79 Munson at a show in January, but did not have an extra $10,000 to spare

Munson.jpg
Old 06-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
and a Laurel and Hardy welcome from me too.....We'll leave the lights on, enjoy your stay!! Neat sets btw..
Old 06-08-2012, 03:23 PM
J@RR0D

I've been all over the map with my collecting but lately have gotten into signed books. I only have a meager collection now but I'm working on it. It ties in because my wife is an author and is always getting signed books sent to her from her author friends. And an author can't get mad at me for buying BOOKS.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:32 PM

I have about 80 Baseball Hall of Famers whose playing career ended by 1950, or in the case of executives, guys who were active in the era through the 1940s.

They're on index cards, GPCs, a few on cuts, but all on white stock, framed and double matted with new prints of vintage photos.

I have scratched off most of the easier guys, and now am down to a couple of buys a year, as most of my want list is getting pricey.