NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 08-21-2016, 10:33 PM

Default Leon and Michael Spinks

Attended the White Plains show on Saturday. I was able to get Leon and Michael Spinks to sign my cards. Leon is in pretty bad shape, he was using a walker and still had trouble getting around. There was also a Service Dog with them. I'm not sure which of them needed the dog. Michael, although getting around better than Leon, seemed a little slow Interpersonally.

They both were great with me, and their handlers did not hassle me. I had a photo op with both that was encouraged by their people. A few pictures....

Leon

Michael
Old 08-22-2016, 07:17 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Cool.

Well Leon had to face Ali twice and Michael tried Tyson (for 92 seconds). Honestly, if I did that I would be worse for wear too.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 08-22-2016 at 07:18 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:04 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Wow, I would not have even recognized Michael Spinks. I had known for a while that Leon was much worse for wear in recent years, but I had not seen any photos or read any stories about Michael Spinks in recent years.

Thanks for posting the pictures and relating your experience, HerbC. It is always nice to see posters share some photos from their interactions at shows.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:41 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Default Spinks family photo and a funny story

This picture was taken in St. Louis before the Corey Spinks/Zab Judah fight by my photographer friend, Bob Barton. (Some very cool fight pictures can be seen here http://www.bobbartonphotography.com/BOX.html ) Leon came back to town for Corey's fight with Deandre Lattimore and they both signed the pic at that time. Don't know why Leon signed over Michael's head, but oh, well. Michael didn't make it back into town for the that match. So, still looking for him to sign.

I am a state boxing inspector and helped to conduct the weigh in. We had the official weigh in in private at the Chalet at Westport. Then everyone was shuttled to downtown St. Charles about ten miles away for the public weigh in staring Don King. A group of us were waiting in the lobby for the shuttle. Leon settled into a big easy chair wearing a similar hat to the one in Herb's OP pic, that reads, "Leon Spinks World Champion."

As we waited, I overheard two twenty-something guys talking, "I think that's Leon Spinks." "No way." said the second. "I'm pretty sure." "Well ask him."

He cautiously walked over and said, "Excuse me, sir. Are you Leon Spinks?"

Leon slowly looked up, pointed to his head and said, "Read the hat, bitch!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spinks Family.jpg (72.8 KB, 35 views)
Old 08-23-2016, 07:17 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I'm pretty sure even in their current condition you wouldn't want to talk smack
Old 08-23-2016, 12:54 PM
Dave

Leon is a regular at the Boxing Hall of Fame inductions in Canastota. Michael shows up frequently also, but not quite as often as Leon, who never seems to miss it.

Both have been nothing but personable to the fans, especially Leon, who seems to go out of his way to sign autographs.

Leon's appearance and health has always been a bit sketchy. Shocked to see what Michael looks like though. Up until a couple years ago, he looked as if he could jump in the ring and go a couple of rounds, at least.

Impressed with Cory, who seemed to spend an entire weekend one year taking care of his dad during Induction week when Leon seemed to be not doing very well at all. Especially considering he did not have a great relationship with him growing up because of Leon's drug habits.

Hung out with Leon and his wife for awhile at a Bareknuckle Hall of Fame event a few years ago (also in upstate New York). His wife also doted on him and took care of him, similar to what I saw Cory do. Leon has an almost child-like persona to him, even as an older man, but it does seem he is surrounded by people who don't mind taking care of him, and keeping him away from the things that got him into trouble to begin with.