NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-07-2013, 06:32 AM

Default STOLEN 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle from recent National Convention

You can move this to the post-war section if you like or place it in all of the boards, the more exposure the better.

"1952 topps Mickey Mantle Psa 4 card serial number 40427314 stolen at the National from Jeff Foy, known as cardcountry. Took the card right from his table at the National."

This has been posted on the CU boards but let's get the word out so that the scumbag thief cannot sell this card!

Also please notify your advertisers that are auction houses Leon, that would be a huge help!

Thanks for your cooperation

Dan Mckee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mantle.jpg (50.0 KB, 837 views)
File Type: jpg Mantle1.jpg (73.6 KB, 836 views)
Old 08-07-2013, 06:54 AM
Cain J.

That's so messed up. I will keep an eye out as a victim of a recent theft I know the helpless empty feeling.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:57 AM
Mike L.
Mi.ke Leid.erm.an

So, going one step ahead of this thug, he probably tries to crack it and sell it raw since the PSA # will be easily traced.

In that case, time to note any significant marks on the card. The dot on the left border. The top and bottom left corners. Matched with the OC shift left on the back.

Last edited by bigwinnerx; 08-07-2013 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:59 AM
pete ullman

yes...also note the possibly trimmed lower rt corner!
Old 08-07-2013, 07:00 AM
Christopher Herman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwinnerx View Post
So, going one step ahead of this thug, he probably tries to crack it and sell it raw since the PSA # will be easily traced.

In that case, time to note any significant marks on the card. The dot on the left border. The top and bottom left corners. Matched with the OC shift left on the back.
I was thinking the same thing. At the very least that card will never grade a 4 again.

My needs lists:
W514 strip cards
W515-2 strip cards

Last edited by christopher.herman; 08-07-2013 at 07:01 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:11 AM
Rich Klein

Default Actually

the rumours I heard say 3 52 Topps Mantles, of which this was the best one, were stolen during the show.

Rich
Old 08-07-2013, 07:11 AM
Tony N.

Default National Mantle stolen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Pete,

Good eye, it looks like it may be trimmed.

Hopefully, they will catch the thieves. Also, wasn't there a SGC 20 1952 topps Mantle stolen as well? Anyone have a pic of that?

Tony
Old 08-07-2013, 07:43 AM
K1rk K3ith

Default Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I doubt the card is trimmed. It appears the PSA logo in the bottom right corner is causing the card to appear short.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:52 AM
pete ullman

not that the point of this thread is to argue trim or not...but despite the psa logo...the cut looks funky to me. this will make this card easier to identify.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:57 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

We already discussed this in the Post-war section
Here the thread: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=173396
This is just aweful to hear..I just received mine yesterday from Goldin and i was praying like heck it get here o.k.
Man, this is a prized possession, i would never let the card out of my sight.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:04 AM
M!ke S@il£r

No video surveillance in the arena? In the world we live in, you would think there must be some video to put a face to the crime.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:24 AM

When we were robbed in Anaheim in 1991 at the National, they removed our entire show cases over night. Supposed armed off duty police were the security 24 hours a day. When the investigator showed up, he immediately asked for the film out of the cameras and they were all empty!

I would love to catch someone stealing from me again, I will beat $250K that we lost in 1991 out of them!

Dan Mckee
Old 08-07-2013, 08:26 AM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagecpa View Post
No video surveillance in the arena? In the world we live in, you would think there must be some video to put a face to the crime.
I don't think there are any cameras in the place. Security always seems to be very questionable at the National. I always said I would walk the floors patrolling for FREE if they gave me a walkie that spoke to an officer and Id spend all day looking for thieves...I do not see ANY deterrent for thieves at the show.

Thanks for posting the info, hopefully this d-bag gets caught
Old 08-07-2013, 08:27 AM

I also think it is good that this topic is on this board in multiple sections as the more people that know, the better.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:55 AM
Clayton

Chipping on front top left and bottom left corner also, as an identifier. Sorry to hear about this, hope the card is discovered and returned to owner.

Sincerely, Clayton

*edit-just read Mike already pointed that out.

Last edited by teetwoohsix; 08-07-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:36 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

I will be posting later tonight after work. I want to share some stuff with the board and get feedback.

I hope these cards find their way home.

Member since 2009
Old 08-07-2013, 10:31 AM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Default STOLEN 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle from recent National Convention

When I first read this post, I thought someone distracted a seller somehow and stole the card that way. But with 3 cards stolen, it sounds more like security was the ones who stole them. Cameras are needed. But they should be recording 24 hours a day.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:32 AM
David Pierson
Banned

Was it insured?
Old 08-07-2013, 11:26 AM
Matt

It seems like each year there are more and more robberies at the show. I was robbed in Cleveland and there were a bunch of other items stolen at the show. Last year, we had a friend get robbed for a high end item. And then you start hearing about other robberies at the show. We were told there was a ring of professionals going around the show doing these robberies.. Since its known you would think they would really step up security .. maybe some real police in plain clothes? lots of cameras in the show and outside the show? And maybe- and yes it seems extreme- but lock the show down when you find out a high end item was stolen. My item was over 10k, the other persons item was over 40k and the mantles are far from cheap. Then when you hear about after show hour theft, it just makes things 1000x worse.
In regards to insurance, my claim was covered but then we were dropped by the insurance company that we had used for over 10 years and never made another claim with. Good luck to the people who had losses at the show.
Matt

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 08-07-2013, 11:33 AM
Eric Shaeffer

In my wandering around the show floor, it did occur to me how easily a thief or group of thieves could make off with some high $ stuff. At certain times there was so much commotion around some tables that there's no way the dealer(s) could keep an eye on everyone. Best bet I think for dealers is to keep all of the bigger $ cards locked in the big rectangular display cases, it would be difficult to have enough cameras setup to see everything clearly.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:51 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Would it help contacting the grading companies and giving them high-res scans of the stolen cards, so if they are attempted to be submitted then can recognize the card(s) and get them back to the owner(s)?

I'm sorry if someone mentioned this, I hadn't read thru every post yet
Old 08-07-2013, 01:01 PM

A California dealer had a 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth in PSA 1 stolen at the show also. He said he thinks someone opened the case while he was distracted. He said he meant to get the locked cases, but hadn't ordered them yet.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:50 PM
Jon Canfield

A friend also had this card stolen from his case at the National...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1160.jpg (56.0 KB, 395 views)
Old 08-07-2013, 11:43 PM
Lee B.
lee be.hrens

I was near the table when security came by to explain to Jeff that they could not see anything on the surveillance cameras because of the back drop from near by areas blocked their space.

Seems like you should have been able to get something off that time period in the area, but that is what I heard. In the end it really sucks and hopefully they find the culprits.

Lee
Old 08-08-2013, 12:22 AM
Bill Gregory

I am seeing a slight wrinkle, or a scratch, on the front surface, upper right hand corner, a few centimeters in length, slanting from upper left to lower right. Is that a scratch on the slab, or actually a blemish on the card? Because if it's on the card, that, coupled with the dot on the left border, is going to make this card pretty much instantly recognizable.

BTW, there was a discussion about this on Sports Card Forum as well.

I posted scans of Jeff's card, front and back, and a link back to his initial post on the CU boards.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 08-08-2013 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:25 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

For a hopeful real story, a guy had his Mel Ott game used bat stolen from the PSA booth at last year's National, and, while it took some time, he got it back. He said he thought spreading the word (and photos) around the hobby helped his cause, because whomever took it simply, though anonymously, returned it. May be the thief figured it would be too problematic to try and resell it.

Last edited by drcy; 08-08-2013 at 12:31 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:03 AM
I@n Cl@rke

I was of the mind that visible flaws could be matched from hi res scans of the card, but then it occurred to me that the thief can decide to further deface/damage the card any way he so chooses. Seems like no one would want to intentionally devalue a card, but for his purposes he may decide to add a corner crease or two. A recognizable PSA 4 '52 Mantle is probably worth less to him than a less recognizable 2. Regardless, this really sucks and I feel for the dealers. Hope their cards are returned somehow.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:17 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
I was of the mind that visible flaws could be matched from hi res scans of the card, but then it occurred to me that the thief can decide to further deface/damage the card any way he so chooses. Seems like no one would want to intentionally devalue a card, but for his purposes he may decide to add a corner crease or two. A recognizable PSA 4 '52 Mantle is probably worth less to him than a less recognizable 2. Regardless, this really sucks and I feel for the dealers. Hope their cards are returned somehow.
Unfortunately, I was just about to say the same thing...
Old 08-08-2013, 02:12 AM
David Pierson
Banned

This is true, just because you can see a dot or wrinkle or crease, once it is out of the slab it's just a 52 Mantle, with no way to prove that it is the same one, even if it looks identical. That is not proof. Dave.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:53 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
Oof, that didn't occur to me. If they're crafty enough to steal that card with hundreds if not thousands of people around, they could probably clean off that identifiable spot.

Let's hope for the best. Thank you, Ian, for giving us some hope.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:29 AM
Scott

So frustrating reading this thread!

Maybe they (all the dealers) need to provide their own security at the national and not rely on the venues. The shared cost would be far less than the theft of a very expensive card.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:49 AM
Ken Wirt

Whomever stole that Tip-Top Barney Dreyfuss, obviously knew SOMETHING about prewar cards. Not the most famous of cards to the uninformed (like the '52 Mantle), but highly valuable to HOF collectors. Really sucks, if the thief was simply a fellow collector!!

Last edited by triwak; 08-08-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:10 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post
I would love to catch someone stealing from me again, I will beat $250K that we lost in 1991 out of them!

Dan Mckee
This made me chuckle. As a victim of theft myself I completely understand your anger, but talking is the easy part Dan. Dave.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Mike

Why not for high value cards put them in a locked case only to be opened upon when cash is shown to see them. No need to handle them if you just want to look, the glass is clear look all you want. I see dealers at my local shows lock all their pre-war showcases all the time. Seems pretty simple lock your cases. Trust no one
Mike

Last edited by brookdodger55; 08-08-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:57 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Mike...these are baseball card dealers, and you want them to have common sense? Shows are more of a social event than a business thing for them. They are too busy shoveling food into their craws and ignoring customers to be concerned with security. Then they cry the blues when things grow legs. Hard to feel sorry for anyone who doesn't care in the first place. Dave.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Eric N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
Mike...these are baseball card dealers, and you want them to have common sense? Shows are more of a social event than a business thing for them. They are too busy shoveling food into their craws and ignoring customers to be concerned with security. Then they cry the blues when things grow legs. Hard to feel sorry for anyone who doesn't care in the first place. Dave.
LOL!

What a way to paint everyone in this hobby with the same broad strokes. lol

PSA Graded Post-War HOF Rookie Card Collection - 100%!