NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Would You Stamp Your Name On Your Own Cards?
Sounds like a great idea! Where's the ink pad?! 9 10.71%
Maybe, but only if it didn't reduce the value of the card 14 16.67%
No, it is selfish and egocentric to do so 12 14.29%
Hey Buddy! Get the damn ink away from my cardboard! 49 58.33%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2012, 07:57 AM
Paul

Default Why Not Stamp Your Own Cards?

I am only somewhat serious about this, but a lot of old time collectors (Jefferson Burdick included) liked to stamp the back of their cards with their names. Today, many people collect cards with such stamps (e.g. Howe McCormick). What a nice tradition to maintain, no? I mean, except for the fact that it might ruin the value of the card -- or otherwise be considered defacing -- why not?

I collect signed T206 cards. I do not think it would lower the value of most of my signed T206s if I happened to stamp my name or initials on the reverse. And it would be a nice thing to have my collection forever memorialized that way.

Again... why not?

Would you ever consider doing this?

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 08-29-2012, 08:07 AM
pete ullman

it would be a cool historical record if everyone that once owned a given card put his/her "mark" on the back somewhere...but this is not reality?!

I think in your collection's case...it would not affect the value at all...but in most collections it would!

Personally...I don't feel my name would increase the value of any of my cards in any way...so I would have no interest/desire to do this.

In this day and age...it makes no sense to stamp/mark cards as what may have been done 100 yrs ago...and it seems a tad egocentric the more I think of it as well?

Last edited by ullmandds; 08-29-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:36 AM
Rob G.

I don't feel like much of my vintage collection is "mine" yet. I've only owned most of my vintage collection for the past 5 or 6 years. The items have existed for like 100 years, so others have owned them much longer than I. I'm not worried as much about ruining value as I plan on keeping them and most are low grade anyway.

The cards I bought as a kid in the late 80s, however, I could see stamping those. I pulled them out of packs and feel they are more "mine". That make sense?

Neat topic, Paul, that I've often considered.
Rob
Old 08-29-2012, 08:38 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

To each their own. It is yours do with it as you want. If you want to draw a beard on all the players and give them black eyes like you would if you were a child, so be it. They are your pieces of card board.

Since we are all a part of the hobby, we think we have the right to tell others what to do with their property with the hopes of one day owning that piece. In the end that is just coveting; what that person does with their stuff shouldn't matter to us if it it isn't illegal (e.g. insuring the collection then starting it on fire to claim the insurance)
Old 08-29-2012, 08:40 AM
pete ullman

Additionally...back then...some of the early hobby pioneers who actually created the checklists for all of these cards we collect would send their cards in the mail to others for research and such.

This would be a good reason to stamp your cards so as they wouldn't get mixed up with others collectors' cards.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:41 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

I say this in the most serious way possible - when I'm done collecting, and I want to sell off my collection (pending I'm rich out of my mind and don't need much money) I'm going to write on all the backs and say "I saved you money, you're welcome".

So unless that situation plays out, I can't see myself writing on my cards.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 08-29-2012, 08:53 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Q: Why not stamp your own cards?
A: Because I am not Jefferson Burdick. If I stamped them I would just be a dick. But a Burdick stamp...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-29-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:56 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
A: Because I am not Jefferson Burdick. If I stamped them I would just be a dick.
ha! +1

Last edited by Bicem; 08-29-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Curt

If you really wanted to claim your collection, just grade them with your name on them. I'm not sure if SGC does it, but PSA & BVG/BGS does. Isn't that the same thing? You're just claiming your collection.

Would I buy a card with markings? Sure.
Would I mark my own cards? Hell no!
Old 08-29-2012, 10:38 AM
Belltown Vintage

As a kid, I remember this guy who used to write his name on the backs of all his comic books. Kind of irked me when trading, as his signature was like a 5-year old's. On the other hand, 'Paul's Magazine Stand' did the same, and as long as it was a neat, straight stamp, it didn't bother me at all.

No one did that to cards when I was a kid, but I think it would bother me. Cards are too small, and a stamp too conspicuous. A vintage stamp on a vintage card is okay, but if I were a kid back in 1910, it might have bothered me. A modern stamp on a vintage card would be (IMO) ridiculous.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:09 AM
Matt Hall

A few years ago there was a few old judges on eBay being sold by Andy Madec. He felt they were trimmed so he wrote a big TR on the back with a ball point pen. I yelled at him in ALL CAPS and he yelled back basically telling me to kick rocks.

So yes, you cant tell people what to do with their stuff
Old 08-29-2012, 11:24 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Card stamper's are a small step away from buying jewelry for their chihuahuas.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:53 AM
Banned

stamp away, who cares?!
Old 08-29-2012, 12:21 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

I collect T206's with stamps on them and (as some of you know) have a project of trying to document as many stamped backs as I can (see my sig for the link), but I wouldn't stamp any of my cards today. I just couldn't deface a card like that personally. Someone else will own these cards at some point and I don't want to be, as Adam put it, the dick that stamped his name on them.

AndyH

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 08-29-2012, 12:35 PM

For the record, I don't think stamping old cards is a good idea. As someone said, in the big picture they aren't yours to stamp.

My personal rule is if you're the original buyer, you can do whatever you want to it. If you bought it when it was one hundred years old, it belongs to history. In other words, feel free to go out and buy a pack of Topps Chrome.

Last edited by drc; 08-29-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:33 AM
Brian T.

I wouldn't stamp my own cards unless my nickname was "Old Put"

Last edited by terjung; 08-30-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:36 AM
pete ullman

nice brian!
Old 08-30-2012, 09:59 AM
ßrën.døn ßig.åløw

If you really want to stamp your cards in this day and age, why not use ink that can only be seen under black light? That way, the stamp is invisible to the naked eye, but under a black light BAM, there's your initials or whatever.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:09 AM
Brian T.

I think the black light stamp would still result in a reduced grade (since I'm under the impression that TPGs use them). It'd probably result in a bunch of discussion on forums about "can you believe the grade on this?"
Old 08-30-2012, 02:25 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Some people do.....

Old 08-30-2012, 02:33 PM

Not pre war, and not stamped, but I could always ID my cards at age 8.....A pen and/or marker worked just fine. I've got a few hundred more just like these.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (77.1 KB, 57 views)