NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-13-2016, 12:29 PM
mi.ke-w0.ng

Default Black Mamba is done

Farewell Mamba!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (73.5 KB, 593 views)
Old 04-13-2016, 01:36 PM
mi.ke-w0.ng

Mamba
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (17.5 KB, 567 views)
Old 04-13-2016, 02:12 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Thank God!

Maybe now, I can get back to being a Laker fan.

I grew up as a Laker fan back in the 1970s and 1980s. Stopped being a fan when they chose Bryant over Shaq. I vowed I would never be a fan of the Lakers as long as Bryant was on the team.

What can I say, I have a thing against rapists. You can add to that, the fact that he then lied about it and bought his way out of it.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 04-13-2016, 02:34 PM
Rob

Don't let the door hit you in the ass.

Actually, let it hit you in the ass and knock you down the stairs as well.

Go hang out with Ray Lewis.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
Thank God!

Maybe now, I can get back to being a Laker fan.

I grew up as a Laker fan back in the 1970s and 1980s. Stopped being a fan when they chose Bryant over Shaq. I vowed I would never be a fan of the Lakers as long as Bryant was on the team.

What can I say, I have a thing against rapists. You can add to that, the fact that he then lied about it and bought his way out of it.

Steve
Wow sounds like youre being a hater. Kobe was wayyyyyy more valuable than shaq and dominated the league for years. His playing ability and competitiveness was unmatched. You sound real salty and bitter. And the fact that you brought up the whole rape issue is just retarded imo
Old 04-13-2016, 05:33 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyFarino View Post
And the fact that you brought up the whole rape issue is just retarded imo

I suppose you think it's OK to rape someone, as long as you're able to get away with it.

I sure hope you never have kids!

Steve

Current Wantlist:
Old 04-13-2016, 06:20 PM

Well, that went sour in a hurry.

Charges were never filed against Kobe in the sexual assault case. To call him a rapist is inserting a verdict where there never was one (regardless of my personal thoughts of guilt on the matter).

That said, I'm no Kobe fan. The Lakers will be better off when 1) he's gone and 2) their ownership and front office can pull its head out of its rear.

Last edited by Dewey; 04-13-2016 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:40 PM
mi.ke-w0.ng

Dewey Haters abound. Way of justifying they're hate . Hate or like..dude is iconic and can ball and has his place in NBA history. Is he the greatest Laker player ever? Hell no...but in top 10. Love him or hate him he was a gamer with a killer work ethic that is virtually non existent in today's watered down version of the NBA.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:02 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
Well, that went sour in a hurry.

Charges were never filed against Kobe in the sexual assault case. To call him a rapist is inserting a verdict where there never was one (regardless of my personal thoughts of guilt on the matter).

That said, I'm no Kobe fan. The Lakers will be better off when 1) he's gone and 2) their ownership and front office can pull its head out of its rear.
A payoff to the accuser is never a good look.

I won't hate his game but I will hate the player.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:05 PM
mi.ke-w0.ng

Young Mamba
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (9.5 KB, 469 views)
Old 04-13-2016, 07:08 PM
mi.ke-w0.ng

Rookie Mamba set
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aba.jpg (44.6 KB, 356 views)

Last edited by mickeymao34; 04-13-2016 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:10 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Not going on a rampage, but I will be watching basketball for the first time in well over a decade next season. I promised years ago I was done till that clown retired.

81 points and 2 assists is not worth celebrating. It's the proof of the death of the "team" in basketball.

Maybe the good days of the excitement of those late 80s teams may return some day, but I doubt it.

My son loves the game, but we have agreed to disagree.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:18 PM
mi.ke-w0.ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Not going on a rampage, but I will be watching basketball for the first time in well over a decade next season. I promised years ago I was done till that clown retired.

81 points and 2 assists is not worth celebrating. It's the proof of the death of the "team" in basketball.

Maybe the good days of the excitement of those late 80s teams may return some day, but I doubt it.

80s BBall was THEE best era in BBAll period. Never too return no matter who leaves or comes into the game. Today's game is boring to say the least. Zero rivalries, Zero competitive nature, Zero teams hating other teams.. days gone by.. sux
Old 04-13-2016, 07:18 PM
Peter Spaeth

There is no denying his extraordinary talent, and there were times when he shot because there was nobody worth passing to from what I could tell, but he had no class in my opinion. In that respect he did not hold a candle to Magic Johnson.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-13-2016 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:21 PM
mi.ke-w0.ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
There is no denying his extraordinary talent, and there were times when he shot because there was nobody worth passing to from what I could tell, but he had no class in my opinion. In that respect he did not hold a candle to Magic Johnson.
+1
Old 04-13-2016, 07:33 PM
mi.ke-w0.ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post

Justin, 81 pts, whether you like him or not, is a big deal especially in the modern era and they did come from behind to win that game. In the season that Wilt scored 100 pts he was averaging 2 assist per game. That being said your hate for the dude is noted but the guy can play.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:38 PM
mi.ke-w0.ng

Quote:
Wow sounds like youre being a hater. Kobe was wayyyyyy more valuable than shaq and dominated the league for years. His playing ability and competitiveness was unmatched. You sound real salty and bitter. And the fact that you brought up the whole rape issue is just retarded imo
well said!
Old 04-13-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
+1 Showtime, Baby!
Old 04-13-2016, 09:14 PM

I'll say this, I'd almost rather watch Kobe's last game than watch Alex Wood try and throw a strike. Holy crap. First sign of Chris Hatcher and I'll switch to the Lakers.

Last edited by Dewey; 04-13-2016 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:24 PM
Rob

Mike - tho it's hard for me to reconcile, I know you're a good guy and a Laker fan (((( shudder ))))). I will admit I'm biased....starting with the d**gers but definitely continuing to the lakers, I have always despised all LA teams. But, bias aside, I have always appreciated an unrepentant a**hole like Barry Bonds over these phony a**holes like kobe, arod, ray lewis, etc. Part of it is wishing Barry could have just been a little phony nice. Had he been, he may make the HOF.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:56 PM
Barry Blumenfeld

Watch the Warriors. Wondeful team basketball! And a bunch of solid citizens to boot.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
I suppose you think it's OK to rape someone, as long as you're able to get away with it.

I sure hope you never have kids!

Steve
Dude im sorry but that was a ignorant response. You need to go to another forum with that BS
Old 04-13-2016, 11:01 PM
mi.ke-w0.ng

Legendary Final game ! 60pts! Mamba feeds on your hate ! WoW gotta be GREATEST Final game for a player ever!
Old 04-13-2016, 11:11 PM
Steven Finley

Amazing. 60. That is all.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymao34 View Post
Legendary Final game ! 60pts! Mamba feeds on your hate ! WoW gotta be GREATEST Final game for a player ever!
We should pitch in and buy steve D a kobe jersey...lol
Old 04-13-2016, 11:12 PM
mi.ke-w0.ng

Mamba Out!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (5.0 KB, 308 views)
Old 04-13-2016, 11:26 PM
mi.ke-w0.ng

Quote:
We should pitch in and buy steve D a kobe jersey...lol
ICONIC.. Story book ending...Say what you want bout the dude but WOW! Hate on! I'm willing to pitch in!
Old 04-14-2016, 12:19 AM
mi.ke-w0.ng

Quote:
Dude im sorry but that was a ignorant response. You need to go to another forum with that BS
joey, haters will say anything so no surprise.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:44 AM
Chris

Quote:
And the fact that you brought up the whole rape issue is just retarded imo
Comparing someone to the mentally disabled, for any reason, is completely unnecessary and is insulting. No need to use that word.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:53 AM
pete ullman

WOW! What a way to go out for kobe. When I heard I assumed both teams "fed" kobe the ball the whole game...NOT THE CASE!

Kobe had flashes of curry last night!!

Here you go haters!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQYz0I5dE_A
Old 04-15-2016, 12:20 AM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

First off, Kobe Bryant is an excellent (perhaps all-time great) player. He just had probably the greatest final game in the history of pro sports, when only considering the individual performance. It was a great way to go out, although personally, I prefer the way Peyton Manning and John Elway went out in their last games.

That being said, it does make one wonder, where was Kobe the rest of the season. The Lakers finished the season 17-65. Last season, they were 21-61. They year before that, 27-55 (each season worse that the previous) Where was Kobe? One could wonder if he was simply saving himself for the final bow; that he was mailing it in the entire season...that he didn't care. He should have been elevating his teammates' performances, so that they could all feed off each-other.

That leads me to the biggest problem I have with Bryant on the court; that he is not a Leader. He does not, and never has, made any of his teammates better. He was/is all about himself. Michael Jordan, as great as he was individually, made his teammates better. Scottie Pippen, Toni Kukoc, Dennis Rodman, et al...became better playing with MJ. The San Antonio Spurs.....they get players who sacrifice for the TEAM; they make each-other better; and as a result, they win Championships!

Kobe Bryant is also the #1 reason Shaquille O'Neal left the Lakers! Kobe drove him away. Kobe couldn't handle having any teammate who competed with him for individual supremacy. Kobe didn't care about the TEAM! If Kobe would have worked with Shaq, each of them feeding off each-other, there is no telling how many championships the Lakers would have won! Instead, Shaq left, and the Lakers declined into an absolute laughing-stock.

Anyway, Kobe Bryant is now done, and the Lakers can get on with building a team that truly deserves to wear the purple and gold!

Steve

Current Wantlist:
Old 04-15-2016, 03:34 AM

Quote:
First off, Kobe Bryant is an excellent (perhaps all-time great) player. He just had probably the greatest final game in the history of pro sports, when only considering the individual performance. It was a great way to go out, although personally, I prefer the way Peyton Manning and John Elway went out in their last games.

That being said, it does make one wonder, where was Kobe the rest of the season. The Lakers finished the season 17-65. Last season, they were 21-61. They year before that, 27-55 (each season worse that the previous) Where was Kobe? One could wonder if he was simply saving himself for the final bow; that he was mailing it in the entire season...that he didn't care. He should have been elevating his teammates' performances, so that they could all feed off each-other.

That leads me to the biggest problem I have with Bryant on the court; that he is not a Leader. He does not, and never has, made any of his teammates better. He was/is all about himself. Michael Jordan, as great as he was individually, made his teammates better. Scottie Pippen, Toni Kukoc, Dennis Rodman, et al...became better playing with MJ. The San Antonio Spurs.....they get players who sacrifice for the TEAM; they make each-other better; and as a result, they win Championships!

Kobe Bryant is also the #1 reason Shaquille O'Neal left the Lakers! Kobe drove him away. Kobe couldn't handle having any teammate who competed with him for individual supremacy. Kobe didn't care about the TEAM! If Kobe would have worked with Shaq, each of them feeding off each-other, there is no telling how many championships the Lakers would have won! Instead, Shaq left, and the Lakers declined into an absolute laughing-stock.

Anyway, Kobe Bryant is now done, and the Lakers can get on with building a team that truly deserves to wear the purple and gold!

Steve
+1
Old 04-15-2016, 06:34 AM
Peter Spaeth

I don't care much for his persona, as posted, but I don't buy the criticism of him as a basketball player. He won five championships. He was an intense competitor. on both ends of the floor. From what I saw, he looked to score first mainly because there were times when that made sense for the team because he was surrounded by mediocrity. Jordan was just as much in people's faces. He won six, Kobe won five, so what's the basis for saying Jordan was a great team player but Kobe wasn't?
Old 04-15-2016, 07:33 AM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
I don't care much for his persona, as posted, but I don't buy the criticism of him as a basketball player. He won five championships. He was an intense competitor. on both ends of the floor. From what I saw, he looked to score first mainly because there were times when that made sense for the team because he was surrounded by mediocrity. Jordan was just as much in people's faces. He won six, Kobe won five, so what's the basis for saying Jordan was a great team player but Kobe wasn't?

How many more Championships would the Lakers have won/been in contention for, had Kobe been a team player? Just two more, and he'd have more than Jordan does.

I remember seeing/reading reports on ESPN where other players (free agents) basically refused to go to the Lakers because they didn't want to play alongside Kobe. They knew he was a ball-hog and only cared about himself.

Kobe kept the team from being able to sign the top talent. He's a huge factor in his teammates being mediocre.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
Old 04-15-2016, 07:55 AM
d.ean

Why all the hoopla for Kobe's scoring 60 points in his last game? Granted, 60 points is impressive, until one scratches the surface a little. Kobe took 50 shots! 50! He made 22 of the 50 shots. 50 shots folks, making 22, which is .440%. He was 6 of 21 from 3 point land for .286% and 10-12 from the free throw line.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:57 AM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymao34 View Post
Any pro who takes 50 shots is bound to make half of them or in Kobe's case, less than half. Legendary? PUhleeze.....!

Last edited by Huck; 04-15-2016 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:58 AM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
Amazing. 60. That is all.
Any pro who takes 50 shots is bound to make half of them or in Kobe's case, less than half. Amazing? I think not.

Last edited by Huck; 04-15-2016 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:20 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazard View Post
Any pro who takes 50 shots is bound to make half of them or in Kobe's case, less than half. Amazing? I think not.
EXACTLY. Congrats on win 17 Kobe! You set the record for most field goal attempts since 83/84, and extended your career record on most field goal's missed. Oh yeah.. and for being able to pay your way out of a rape. Kobe is a basketball talent. The same way as a good painter can duplicate a Monet. Kobe copied every single thing MJ did on the court. He even chewed his gum like him. I really cannot recall one move he invented/created or added to the game. Well, outside of arguing every call and using a gay slur on the court and getting fined 100k.
50 shots?????
The guy ONLY played for himself. Self proclaimed "Mamba out" buh bye...

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 04-15-2016 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:21 AM
Steven Finley

I'll preface this by stating I've never been a Kobe or Laker fan.

Quote:
First off, Kobe Bryant is an excellent (perhaps all-time great) player. Scratch perhaps. He just had probably the greatest final game in the history of pro sports, when only considering the individual performance. It was a great way to go out, although personally, I prefer the way Peyton Manning and John Elway went out in their last games.

That being said, it does make one wonder, where was Kobe the rest of the season. Old and Hobbled The Lakers finished the season 17-65. Hamstrung by line of bad contracts Last season, they were 21-61.Still Hamstrung They year before that, 27-55 Paying bad contracts (each season worse that the previous) Where was Kobe? Injured, Injured, then Old and Hobbled One could wonder if he was simply saving himself for the final bow; that he was mailing it in the entire season...that he didn't care. You do realize he shot 50 times just for giggles in his last game. He should have been elevating his teammates' performances, so that they could all feed off each-other.

That leads me to the biggest problem I have with Bryant on the court; that he is not a Leader. He was an assassin like Jordan, who well, was a dick too He does not, and never has, made any of his teammates better. He was/is all about himself. Michael Jordan, as great as he was individually, made his teammates better. He also tried to fight them all in practice, all of them, except Robert Parish who challenged him back and he stepped down Scottie Pippen, Toni Kukoc, Dennis Rodman, et al...became better playing with MJ. The San Antonio Spurs.....they get players who sacrifice for the TEAM; they make each-other better; and as a result, they win Championships! The Spurs are amazing to watch, I'll give you this one.

Kobe Bryant is also the #1 reason Shaquille O'Neal left the Lakers! Kobe drove him away. Kobe couldn't handle having any teammate who competed with him for individual supremacy. Same could be said of Shaq Kobe didn't care about the TEAM! If Kobe would have worked with Shaq, each of them feeding off each-other, there is no telling how many championships the Lakers would have won! Instead, Shaq left, and the Lakers declined into an absolute laughing-stock. You do realize they won two championships after Shaq left? Right? Two. After. Two.

Anyway, Kobe Bryant is now done, and the Lakers can get on with building a team that truly deserves to wear the purple and gold! The are currently hamstrung by a line of bad trades and draft picks that aren't looking solid. Unless something drastic happens they will struggle for the foreseeable future. Also you must not follow TMZ.

Steve
Old 04-15-2016, 09:32 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
How many more Championships would the Lakers have won/been in contention for, had Kobe been a team player? Just two more, and he'd have more than Jordan does.

I remember seeing/reading reports on ESPN where other players (free agents) basically refused to go to the Lakers because they didn't want to play alongside Kobe. They knew he was a ball-hog and only cared about himself.

Kobe kept the team from being able to sign the top talent. He's a huge factor in his teammates being mediocre.

Steve
12 all defensive team selections. Guys who only care about their scoring stats don't play defense that hard. He was an intense competitor. He understood that he needed to score. Maybe the fact that he was an asshole kept people off the team but not that he was a ball hog. If he wasn't about winning, why was he constantly in his teammates' faces?

PS to draw any conclusions from a final tribute-type game is silly.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-15-2016 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:03 AM
qu@n nguy3n

having lived in socal all my life and experienced it first hand steve d is right on in everything he said. on top of that he's also a walking hypocrite, trying to do a 180 on his narrative this last year.

my best memory of kobe is when the colorado rape stuff started happening he sold out his own teammate and told the police how he should've paid off the women like shaq did...d'angelo learned from the best!
Old 04-15-2016, 11:07 AM
J@son.K

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
WOW! What a way to go out for kobe. When I heard I assumed both teams "fed" kobe the ball the whole game...NOT THE CASE!

Kobe had flashes of curry last night!!

Here you go haters!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQYz0I5dE_A
Agree! When I heard he scored 60 in his final game, I also thought maybe the other team was just laying down for his finale...but not at all. You can clearly see the opposing players guarding him and getting juked by the senior Kobe. Plus, the Jazz were still trying for that final 8th spot in the Western Conference so I don't think they would let it slip so easily.

Too many haters on here. Just let the guy retire and get the respect he deserves as a player. And for the record, it's not fair to accuse him as being a rapist with no solid evidence of what really happened. The whole story seemed fishy to me.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:09 AM
ThreadKiller

Default Great player / final game, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
having lived in socal all my life and experienced it first hand steve d is right on in everything he said. on top of that he's also a walking hypocrite, trying to do a 180 on his narrative this last year.

my best memory of kobe is when the colorado rape stuff started happening he sold out his own teammate and told the police how he should've paid off the women like shaq did...d'angelo learned from the best!
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/file/ko...terview?page=0

Old 04-15-2016, 11:36 AM
qu@n nguy3n

Jazz had nothing to play for...kobe is not a rapist in the same vein as oj is not a murderer.

Everybody showed up for his last game all of hollywood jack snoop kanye jay z his old running teammates horry fisher even shaq...so who wasnt there? His parents...thats all i need to know about the guy.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:40 AM
Banned

Quote:

HE'S BEEN IN THE LEAGUE 20 YEARS AND IS 37 YRS OLD!!! lol...Youre telling me he wasnt amazing almost all his career??? Come on man that was a ignorant statement
Old 04-15-2016, 11:43 AM
ThreadKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
Jazz had nothing to play for...kobe is not a rapist in the same vein as oj is not a murderer.

Everybody showed up for his last game all of hollywood jack snoop kanye jay z his old running teammates horry fisher even shaq...so who wasnt there? His parents...thats all i need to know about the guy.
+100 on the first, +1000 on the last.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:48 AM
Banned

Michael Jordan cheated on his wife several times, is known to be a real asshole and was as much self centered on the court if not more than kobe but no one hates on him. I didnt like kobe for a long time but its because I was hating that he was so good, plus Im not a laker fan. But what he did on the court was AMAZING and there hasnt been a player like him since Jordan. If you cant acknowledge what a great player he was you need help
Old 04-15-2016, 11:50 AM
Rob

Lakers sold $1.3M worth of Kobe merch during that game. Broke the previous record of the Led Zeppelin reunion.

I think the Jazz would have been trapping and double teaming if they really cared.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:35 PM
d.ean

Quote:
HE'S BEEN IN THE LEAGUE 20 YEARS AND IS 37 YRS OLD!!! lol...Youre telling me he wasnt amazing almost all his career??? Come on man that was a ignorant statement
My comment was directed at "amazing" being used to describe his last game. Kobe took 50 shots to score 60 points.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
My comment was directed at "amazing" being used to describe his last game. Kobe took 50 shots to score 60 points.