NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Default set registry?

Posted By: dennis

i was looking at the psa set registry site & for the first time looked at more than just the top few,and was a little surprised that you could register a "set" and have a very low completion %. i would think you would own a majority of the cards before you even contemplated getting it registered. my question is wouldn't it make sense to have a certain % completion before it can be registered?

Old 05-07-2005, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Default set registry?

Posted By: T206Collector

...is really a marketing ploy to get you to list your graded cards with the grader. It's good advertising for them, but it's also nice (and makes sense, in my opinion) to be able to list your cards with a grader, to monitor your collection as you try to complete a set.

Old 05-07-2005, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Default set registry?

Posted By: dennis

t206collector
i agree with you that it is a great way to monitor yout set but some of these registered have 1 common card or a few stars.(take a look) in a set of 340 or more.this imo cheapens the wonderful sets some collectors have (or nearly )completed. registry should have some guidelines or % of completion.

Old 05-07-2005, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Default set registry?

Posted By: dan mckee

The registry is a joke, another way to entice more sales, period. There are many many sets as nice or nicer than the ones on the registry that are held by long time collectors and are NOT graded, not graded yet that is. Once they sell, they will grade to attract the fish that pay insane amounts for high slab numbers.

Old 05-07-2005, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Default set registry?

Posted By: Robert

I think that the registry was created in order to gain more submissions for PSA otherwise who in there right mind would ever want to submit any common card for grading. The only cards they would ever receive are stars, old vintage for authenticity and the few rare cards out there. Of there over 8 million submission I would have to guess that 50-65% of those cards would have to be commons or maybe more. It was a great marketing plan and has paid off very well for PSA

Old 05-07-2005, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Default set registry?

Posted By: Mike P.

Not defending PSA per se but they are not the only ones. SGC, Beckett and GAI also have set registries as well, probably for all the same reasons listed above.

Old 05-07-2005, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Default set registry?

Posted By: Scott Forrest

SGC and GAI have to duplicate whatever PSA does, just to stay in business...unless it's something really, really stupid. (cough..Mr. X)

Old 05-07-2005, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Default set registry?

Posted By: David Vargha

The registry is a joke, another way to entice more sales, period. There are many many sets as nice or nicer than the ones on the registry that are held by long time collectors and are NOT graded, not graded yet that is. Once they sell, they will grade to attract the fish that pay insane amounts for high slab numbers.

So tell me again Dan, why you sent in a card to be graded (gasp!) by PSA . . .

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 05-07-2005, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Default set registry?

Posted By: Geoff Litwack

I'm not a huge fan of PSA, but I do think their set registry is a good thing for the hobby - I've been able to chat with other collectors working on the same sets as me and made a couple of pleasing deals for cards through it. Sort of like Friendster for cards.

Best,
Geoff

Old 05-07-2005, 10:57 PM
Administrator

Default set registry?

Posted By: John J. Grillo

For the longest time, I was never too thrilled about the registry until I gave it a try about 2 years ago. I think it's fun. Yes, competition and ego can get in the way sometimes, but overall it's still fun. SGC and PSA have "Collector's Showcase/The Way I Collect" registries that allow you to list your collection pretty much any way you want to.

I utilize them both for vintage boxing...it adds enjoyment to my hobby to publish/monitor my cards, provide pics, and descriptions, etc.

Old 05-08-2005, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Default set registry?

Posted By: Bill

Obviously the set registry is way to get collectors to get their cards graded by a particular company, but I really enjoy the SGC registry. I only collect T206's and I like the way they look in the SGC holder, so I started to get them all graded by SGC, for the look and protection. When SGC introduced their registry, I started listed them. I use the registry to make trades or sell my duplicates when I upgrade a card with the other collectors on the registry. That is the fun part, to build your collection and also help others that collect the same cards you do. So if anyone is interested in making a deal with SGC graded T206's send me an email. Bill

http://www.sgccardregistry.com/index.asp?action=3&setcategory=1&setid=243&usetid=535

Old 05-08-2005, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Default set registry?

Posted By: warshawlaw

Uh, because he had a customer who asked him to do it...

Old 05-08-2005, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Default set registry?

Posted By: JimCrandell

I love the set registry and think its the best thing PSA has ever done. Not only is it a good way of keeping track of your cards and collection but I also like the competitiveness of it as well(usually friendly).
GAI just started a registry that will take cards from all 3 major grading companies and certain PSA collectors are giving them permission to enter their PSA sets in the GAI registry. SGC also has a registry.

Over time--maybe a long time--more and more pre-war vintage cards will become slabbed and a registry which takes all companies's grades(GAI) may well become the largest.