NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-11-2018, 05:03 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

After a wonderful chat with Ken last night, I think I have more of an appreciation for the boxes. Obviously for the scarcity but also for the information that the boxes provide. While I don't see myself running across any of these on a regular basis, I'm now going to keep my eyes open and think I would like to have one or more to go along with my set. Each day I seem to gain a deeper appreciation for these cards. Can't wait until I'm able to land one of the "big ones" from the set!
Old 06-26-2018, 09:11 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Well.....so much for thinking I wanted to add a full box to my collection. After the Nellie Fox that ended on Ebay over the weekend, I might have to rethink that, lol. I'm not sure if that is a pretty common price for the complete box or not, but it ended about 3x more than what I figured it would. Then again, I really had no clue. I'm hoping one of the fellow members here was able to snatch it up!
Old 06-27-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promethius88 View Post
Well.....so much for thinking I wanted to add a full box to my collection. After the Nellie Fox that ended on Ebay over the weekend, I might have to rethink that, lol. I'm not sure if that is a pretty common price for the complete box or not, but it ended about 3x more than what I figured it would. Then again, I really had no clue. I'm hoping one of the fellow members here was able to snatch it up!
Hey Promethius88, would you please enlighten me on the grim, gory bidding details of the '62 Nellie Fox JELL-O box. Did you save the listing photo--would love to scrutinize it. I missed that; not that I would have bid, but I would have loved to enjoy a bowl of JELL-O while the last 10 minutes ticked down. Thanks ahead of time. --- Brian Powell
Old 06-27-2018, 11:52 AM
Randy Trierweiler

Looks like 2 big dogs fought for it:

https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/31...p2047675.l2565
Old 06-27-2018, 04:46 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Yeah, I put in an early bid of $125 just to mark it knowing it would go higher. Thought if I really wanted it I would need to place a last minute bid of $500-600 but never got the chance to do that. Having never seen one sell before, I have no idea what they normally go for. The $1700 may be low, it may be high, I really don't know. But, at that price, I don't see me picking any up in the near future as I would rather spend that kind of money on individual cards I need for the set itself.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:16 AM
Ken Marks

Default 1962 Jell-Os

I know and talked to the guy who won the Fox box. He is a serious and big-time collector of Post and Jell-O cards (and a good guy too). Like the rest of us, he too was blown away with what it took to win the box.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:33 PM

Hiya, Ken! Hope you're doing well, my friend. Thanks for the update on the '62 JELL-O Nellie Fox box winner. I am rather certain this collector was also blown away by the box when he first got to hold it in his hand. At that point, I think he'll be reassured at the decision he made to type in the big numbers on his eBay bid box to enter for it in the closing second! It was probably just like four guys going for a volleyball at the net, two from each side. They're giving it all they've got; one will get a higher or stronger hand/wrist on it, and come up with the kill for his team. The Fox box winner was the chap who decided he would go "this high", thinking he would certainly bag it, and likely bag it for less. However, there were probably three other collectors just like him. Just as my volleyball play scenario, each gave everything they had (put in "a sure winning bid", yet not realizing it would truly take that amount to win the dog fight).

Sometimes it takes even serious collectors "to think outside the box", and see the merits and elegance of an original complete box, from whence came a single card from the set they're struggling to collect in the first place. These collectors that were in the fight in the closing seconds ALL "GET" WHY THE BOX IS SPECIAL NOW.

The surreal idea that perhaps has never seized some of our other fellow postwar collectors are the implications with the 62/63 JELL-Os, starting with the fact the set was built ONE card at a time. Even with Post Cereal, you got at least a few cards. One thing in your favor, and disfavor, you could select any player you wanted, providing your Mom allowed you the privilege to select that flavor. What if the flavor was unappetizing to Mom, or if she felt no one in the family would like it, including you? This concept lends itself into why certain players chosen as the free prize on unpopular flavors would be very scarce.

Another factor in your disfavor is if you wanted a certain superstar, you likely would discover other kids in town also wanted Ernie Banks, or Mickey Mantle, or Sandy Koufax, or Ron Santo, or Warren Spahn, or Hank Aaron, or Willie Mays, or ....

Better end my musing, for now..... ---Brian Powell

P.S. Ken, if you get a chance to speak with the winner again, tell him congratulations from me, and that he must not feel eviscerated over what he had to pay to win it; rather, let the feeling of being exhilarated over winning it overwhelm the other! Way da go, big dog!!!!!!!! Also, please encourage him to buy a copy of NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN. Tell him how. I've got plenty of copies left; or, he can go the Amazon route for the digital download. If he's going to plunk that kind of dough down to win a prized centerpiece, he owes it to himself to buy some decent literature that devotes 3 chapters to the General Foods' baseball card issues. Mine will not have the sheer info that Dan Mabey's would; however, in our secluded hobby, the more books the better! Always!!! Also, his personal info on an envelope is private, and will not be shared with anyone!-----Bri

Last edited by brian1961; 07-04-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:48 PM

Default '62 Jello Simmons

Looks like some spirited bidding on the Curt Simmons ending later today. I need him but not for over $400.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:35 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

I have been slowly bidding on it. My last bid was at $410 so where it is now is the top bid for the current top bidder at this point. Have to decide if I want to take a shot at later. Looking forward to seeing what happens!
Old 06-28-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalcollector View Post
Looks like 2 big dogs fought for it:

https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/31...p2047675.l2565
Thank you, Randy, for coming to my aide. Very, very interesting bidding. I may of said I would have enjoyed a bowl of JELL-O as the last 10 minutes ticked down. However, it was the "last bite" was when it all happened. Whoa, Nellie; the dog fight really accelerated the final 8 seconds!

The complete box was exceptionally well-preserved. For the 1962 JELL-O or ADVANCED Nellie Fox collector, the box is a downright centerpiece.

I know you're focused on collecting the set, but in this instance, a complete box carries a great deal of psychological and emotional weight, plus satisfaction, which unfortunately costs boo coo.

Precisely as I wrote in NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN .............

Though the commercial on Youtube is of the Post Cereal promotion happening at the same time as its fellow General Foods brand, JELL-O, do avail yourself of the happiness of viewing the fabulous Roger Maris black 'n white commercial with the two boys at a grocery store. The ambiance is compelling.

Have a great day, all. ---- Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 07-04-2018 at 12:02 PM.