NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards

Old 08-01-2023, 02:21 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Default 1933 World Wide Gum Ice Kings (low grade collection purchase)

I picked up this collection of poor condition "Ice Kings" cards at the National last week. I know very little about this set and am just starting to go through them. I learned one of the key cards is King Clancy, and there were two of his cards in this lot. My roommate needed one so I had him pick out the "lesser" grade one (lol) to keep for his set. It will take me a few days to figure out what I have, and I'll post updates here. There are about 80 cards and I paid $400 for the lot (about $5 each)

Old 08-01-2023, 02:30 PM
Kevin from Franklin Square, LI

This is awesome, Larry. If there are any Montreal Maroons, New York Americans (or any defunct team), I’d definitely be interested in obtaining a couple of cards. Let me know!
Old 08-02-2023, 07:25 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Thanks for all the help as I know nothing about this set, and to be honest I don't know anything about the players. (YET) I ended up with 53 different of the 72 cards in the set, or 74% complete.

#1 card RC and HOF member Aubrey Victor "Dit" Clapper. #5 most expensive card in the set. Played 20 years with the Boston Bruins (first player in NHL to play 20 years). 6'2" 200 lbs "He fought his heart out, bounced players around and took the same kind of punishment he dished out. That's what made him so popular with other players and fans throughout the NHL."

Old 08-02-2023, 07:29 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Ice Kings

Larry you are now the new Ice King KING! They are fairly rare and highly sought after cards.... you did well to pick up such a large group. Congrats! Rocky
Old 08-03-2023, 03:29 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Card #2 Bill Bridge played 368 games in the National Hockey League between 1926 and 1936 for the Toronto Maple Leafs, Detroit Cougars and the New York Americans. Bill is pictured as a NY American wearing a ball cap of some sort?

Old 08-04-2023, 01:13 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

card #4 Andrew Blair played 9 years in the NHL with Toronto and Chicago. This is the first card I've shared with the bilingual (French/English) backs. I think the English only are tougher to find, but Im not 100% sure.

Old 08-05-2023, 03:58 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

#5 Earl Robinson played eleven seasons in the National Hockey League for the Montreal Maroons, Chicago Black Hawks and Montreal Canadiens between 1928 and 1940. He won the Stanley Cup with the Maroons in 1935.

Last edited by LuckyLarry; 08-05-2023 at 03:59 PM. Reason: spellin error
Old 08-06-2023, 07:55 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

#7 Ronnie Martin (another English only card) was a Canadian professional ice hockey player who played 94 games in the National Hockey League with the New York Americans between 1932 and 1934. The rest of his career, which lasted from 1926 to 1944, was spent in various minor leagues. I wonder what that sweater is worth today?

Old 08-07-2023, 08:41 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Card #8 RC of Hall of Fame Albert "Babe" Siebert left winger and defenceman who played 14 seasons in the NHL for the Montreal Maroons, New York Rangers, Boston Bruins and Montreal Canadiens. He won the 1926 Stanley Cup championship with the Maroons, and won the Hart Trophy as the NHL's most valuable player in 1937 as a member of the Canadiens.

Siebert was named the head coach of the Canadiens upon his retirement as a player in 1939. He never coached a game as he drowned in Lake Huron prior to the 1939–40 NHL season. He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1964.

One card current on eBay in a KSA 2 holder $373 OBO

Old 08-07-2023, 08:53 AM

So awesome
Old 08-08-2023, 10:26 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

card #11 RC and HOFer Roy "shrimp" Worters. Hockey Hall of Fame goaltender who played twelve seasons in the National Hockey League for the Pittsburgh Pirates, Montreal Canadiens and New York Americans. At 5'3", he was the shortest player ever to play in the NHL.

I especially like the goalie pictures without their game day masks covering their face.

Wait, you are telling me goalies didn't wear masks until 1959? WTF!

Old 08-08-2023, 10:45 AM

What a fun set
Old 08-09-2023, 01:18 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

double post

Last edited by LuckyLarry; 08-09-2023 at 01:23 PM. Reason: double post
Old 08-09-2023, 01:20 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

card #12 HOF RC of Nelson "Old Poison" Stewart played for the Montreal Maroons, New York Americans and Boston Bruins. Hockey Hall of Fame class of 1962. He was the first player to win the NHL's Hart Trophy (league MVP) multiple times, and is considered the NHL's greatest goalscorer in the pre-World War II era, holding the league record for career goals from 1937 to 1952.

The sixth most expensive card in the set and "books" for $345-$590

Old 08-09-2023, 01:37 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

card #13 Francis "King" Clancy (HOF class of 1958) player, referee, coach and executive. Clancy played 16 seasons in the NHL for the Ottawa Senators and Toronto Maple Leafs. He was a member of three Stanley Cup championship teams. After he retired in 1937, he remained in hockey, becoming a coach for the Montreal Maroons. Clancy next worked as a referee for the NHL. He joined the Maple Leafs organization and worked in the organization as a coach and team executive until his death in 1986. In 2017 Clancy was named one of the '100 Greatest NHL Players' in history.

In 1986, he had an operation to remove his gallbladder, however infection from the gallbladder seeped into his body during the operation at which he went into septic shock. He died November 10, 1986, at age 83.

The third most expensive card in the set and "books" for $595-$990

Old 08-09-2023, 03:54 PM

Fun stuff. Really enjoying these.
Old 08-10-2023, 07:32 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

appreciate the feedback Kevin I want to get to know a little bit about these players

card #14 Martin "Marty" Burke RC was a defenceman in the NHL for the Montreal Canadiens, Pittsburgh Pirates and Chicago Black Hawks. He was on two Stanley Cup championship teams in 1930 and 1931 with Montreal.

Burke may have been the first player to wear a helmet during an NHL game, donning one to protect an injured ear during a game in December 1928.

Old 08-11-2023, 01:50 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

card #15 RC Cecil Dillon right winger who played 10 seasons in the NHL for the New York Rangers and the Detroit Red Wings. He won the Stanley Cup in 1933 with the New York Rangers.

Old 08-11-2023, 02:20 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

card #16 RC HOF (1965) Reginald "Red" Horner defenceman for the Toronto Maple Leafs from 1928 to 1940. He helped the Leafs win their third Stanley Cup in 1932.

Collection included six of thees, including two "skinned" cards. I see quite a few examples of "skinned" hockey cards, my guess is kids in Canada pasted their cards in scrapbooks more than kids in the U.S. did.

One of these cards has the borders trimmed off, and for fun I listed it on Ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295867802389

Old 08-12-2023, 07:36 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

card #17 RC Armand Mondou played his entire National Hockey League career with the Montreal Canadiens. He made his NHL debut in 1928 and retired following the 1940 season. He went on to win two Stanley Cups with Montreal in 1930 and 1931. He was the first NHL player to attempt a penalty shot; George Hainsworth saved his attempt.

Old 08-12-2023, 07:45 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

card #19 RC David Kerr NHL goaltender who played for the Montreal Maroons, New York Americans and New York Rangers. As a Ranger, he only missed one game between 1934 and 1941, and started every game for five straight seasons (1936-1941). Kerr was the second hockey player on the cover of Time magazine, doing so on the March 14, 1938 edition.

Love these goalie cards! Bi-lingual back with borders trimmed off.

Old 08-13-2023, 01:42 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

card #20 RC Melville "Butch" Keeling a left winger, he played 12 National Hockey League seasons with the Toronto St. Patricks/Toronto Maple Leafs and the New York Rangers between 1926 and 1938.

Another beautiful but "skinned" card.

Old 08-13-2023, 01:48 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

card #21 RC Jean Joseph "Black Cat" Gagnon Johnny played in the NHL from 1930 to 1940. During this time, he played for the New York Americans, Boston Bruins, and Montreal Canadiens. He also played for the Providence Reds of the American Hockey League. He won the Stanley Cup in 1931 with the Montreal Canadiens. Gagnon loved to tell the story of how, as a Canadiens "wanna-be," he filled his pockets with 10 pounds of rocks during a weigh-up and, having impressed Canadiens brass with his 150 lb weight, got a tryout with the team, who had formerly shunned him as being "too light for pro hockey."

Old 08-14-2023, 08:24 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

card #22 (7th most expensive card in the set $295- $493) RC HOF Irvine "Ace" Bailey played for the Toronto Maple Leafs for eight seasons, from 1926–1933. His playing career ended with a fight he encountered during a game against the Boston Bruins. He is the first professional sports player to have a jersey number retired in his honour. Bailey led the NHL in scoring in 1929, and was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1975.

Bailey's career came to an abrupt end on December 12, 1933, when he was hit from behind by Eddie Shore of the Boston Bruins, and hit his head on the ice, fracturing his skull; he convulsed on the ice of the Boston Garden. This occurred after Maple Leafs teammate King Clancy upended Shore with a hard check as the latter player rushed up the ice. Angry, dazed, and thinking he was going after Clancy, Shore rushed at Bailey intent on revenge. Another teammate, Red Horner knocked Shore out cold with one punch after the incident. It was feared that Bailey would not survive after severely injuring his head. He came out of a coma for the second time 10 days later, making a full recovery, but did not play professionally again.

another skinned card

Old 08-14-2023, 08:29 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

card #23 RC HOF Harold "Pee-Wee" Oliver a Canadian ice hockey forward who played for the Calgary Tigers of the Western Canada Hockey League (WCHL) and the Boston Bruins and New York Americans of the National Hockey League (NHL) between 1921 and 1937. He was a member of the Tigers' 1924 WCHL championship and won the Stanley Cup with the Bruins in 1929. Oliver played nearly 600 games in a professional career that spanned 16 seasons and scored 217 goals. He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1967.

Borders trimmed off

Old 08-15-2023, 04:49 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

card #25 RC HOF Mervin "Red" Dutton was a Canadian ice hockey player, coach and executive. He played for the Calgary Tigers of the Western Canada Hockey League (WCHL) and the Montreal Maroons and New York Americans of the NHL. A rugged and physical defenceman, Dutton often led his team in penalty minutes.

Dutton coached and managed the Americans, and later purchased the team before suspending operations in 1942 due to World War II. He served as the second president of the NHL between 1943 and 1946 before resigning the position after the NHL's owners reneged on a promise to allow the Americans to resume operations following the war. He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1958.

Old 08-15-2023, 04:55 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

card #26 RC Georges Mantha played in the NHL with the Montreal Canadiens. His career lasted from 1928 to 1941 and won the Stanley Cup twice, in 1930 and 1931.

Pictured English only also French bi-lingual back.

Old 08-15-2023, 11:21 AM

I won that card on eBay ! Keep me posted if a Montreal Maroon or New York American goes on the board!
Old 08-15-2023, 03:54 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

card gets mailed tomorrow Kevin thx for the purchase if I sell any cards of those you requested I’ll contact you through Net 54.
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I won that card on eBay ! Keep me posted if a Montreal Maroon or New York American goes on the board!
Old 08-15-2023, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
card gets mailed tomorrow Kevin thx for the purchase if I sell any cards of those you requested I’ll contact you through Net 54.
Larry
That’s awesome, Larry. Hope I’m not being too much of a pest. Looking forward to the card…
Kevin
Old 08-16-2023, 12:53 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

card #28 RC Wildor Larochelle played 475 games in the National Hockey League with the Montreal Canadiens and Chicago Black Hawks from 1925 to 1937. With Montreal he won the Stanley Cup in 1930 and 1931.

Old 08-16-2023, 12:59 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

card #29 RC John "Red" Beattie played 335 games in the National Hockey League, for the Boston Bruins, Detroit Red Wings and New York Americans.

Old 08-17-2023, 01:25 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

card #32 RC John Chapman started his National Hockey League career with the Boston Bruins in 1930. He would also play for the New York Americans, retiring after the 1940 season to take up coaching duties for the team. In 1936–37, he was a member of the NHL All-Star team.

Old 08-17-2023, 01:31 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

card #33 RC Harold Cotton Harold William "Baldy" Cotton played 12 seasons in the National Hockey League for the Pittsburgh Pirates, Toronto Maple Leafs and New York Americans. The card says hs nickname is "Lucky" Wikipedia says his nickname is "Baldy".

Old 08-18-2023, 03:47 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

card #34 Lionel Hitchman played twelve seasons in the National Hockey League for the Ottawa Senators and Boston Bruins. Hitchman's #3 jersey was retired by the Boston Bruins on February 22, 1934, the second time in North American professional sports history that a player's number was officially retired.
Stanley Cup champion — 1923 (Ottawa Senators original), 1929 (Boston Bruins).

Old 08-18-2023, 03:53 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

card #34 Jimmy Ward played in the NHL from 1928 to 1939 with the Montreal Maroons and Montreal Canadiens. He won the Stanley Cup in 1935. When the Maroons folded he joined the rival Montreal Canadiens for the 1938–39 season.

Ward's son, Pete Ward, played nine seasons of professional baseball, winning the Sporting News Rookie of the Year Award honors in 1963 while playing for the Chicago White Sox.

Old 08-18-2023, 04:06 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Jimmy's boy Pete, his rookie card

Old 08-18-2023, 11:29 PM

This is my favorite thread…
Old 08-19-2023, 11:37 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

card #38 RC Charley "Rabbit" McVeigh played 397 games with the Chicago Black Hawks and New York Americans between 1926 and 1935. He also was a veteran in Canada who fought in the First World War. McVeigh's service with the 16th Canadian Infantry in the First World War damaged his hearing, and while he was not legally deaf he had problems hearing everyday speech unless the speaker raised the voice well above its normal pitch and spoke into his less damaged ear. He was also injured in his knees and in the chest, while with the overseas forces.

Old 08-19-2023, 11:43 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

card #39 RC Glenn "Swampy" Brydson played eight seasons in the National Hockey League for the Montreal Maroons, St. Louis Eagles, New York Rangers and Chicago Black Hawks between 1930 and 1938.

This card was not a part of my National purchase, but result of a trade of a duplicate I had to a fellow OBC member (who I just mailed off three more duplicates)

Old 08-19-2023, 11:48 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

card #41 RC Joe Lamb a forward who played 11 seasons in the National Hockey League with the Montreal Maroons, Ottawa Senators, New York Americans, Boston Bruins, Montreal Canadiens, St. Louis Eagles and Detroit Red Wings.

Two skinned cards and one French card with the borders trimmed off!

Nice confident pose Joe!

Old 08-20-2023, 12:55 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

card #42 HOF Sylvio Mantha played fourteen seasons in the National Hockey League for the Montreal Canadiens and Boston Bruins. Elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1960, he was regarded as one of the best two-way defencemen of his day.

Old 08-20-2023, 01:01 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

card #43 RC Marvin "Cyclone" Wentworth played in the National Hockey League between 1927 and 1940 with the Chicago Black Hawks, Montreal Maroons, and Montreal Canadiens. He won the Stanley Cup with the Maroons in 1935.

Wentworth was traded just before the Maroons folded in 1938. He didn't have to move far to continue his career, however, as he was traded to the Montreal Canadiens. He played two seasons with the Habs before retiring in 1940, after which he moved to Toronto and became involved in a variety of business interests.

Old 08-20-2023, 01:02 PM

I was discussing your collection and posts with my friend Barry from Nova Scotia. I asked him specifically about the Mantha brothers and if they were related to a player I watched as a kid, Moe Mantha. He thanked me for bringing back pleasant memories of his dad, since passed, discussing the Mantha brothers with him at night before he went to bed. Thanks Larry…
Old 08-21-2023, 06:00 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

card #44 RC Normie Himes played 402 games in the National Hockey League with the New York Americans between 1926 and 1935. Pictured on an English only card and wearing that woolly ball cap?

Old 08-21-2023, 06:03 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

card #45 RC Doug Brennan defenceman for the New York Rangers of the National Hockey League between 1931 and 1934. The rest of his career, which lasted from 1925 to 1936, was spent in the minor leagues. He won the Stanley Cup with the Rangers in 1933.

Old 08-21-2023, 06:07 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

card #47 RC Alex "Mine Boy" Levinsky played nine seasons in the National Hockey League for the Toronto Maple Leafs, Chicago Black Hawks and New York Rangers. He was given his unusual nickname because it was noted that his father, who would attend his son's games, would shout: "That's mine boy."

Lewinsky graduated from the University of Toronto Law School (and played for the Varsity Blues 1929-1930) and later became a lawyer, car dealership owner and bowling alley owner.

Old 08-22-2023, 08:41 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

card #48 RC Lawrence "Baldy" Northcott played ten seasons in the National Hockey League for the Montreal Maroons and Chicago Black Hawks.
In the 1934–35 Stanley Cup playoffs he scored the winning goal in two games, helping the Maroons win the Stanley Cup.

Old 08-22-2023, 08:45 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

card #49 RC Kenneth Edward Doraty played in 105 National Hockey League games for the Chicago Black Hawks, Toronto Maple Leafs and the Detroit Red Wings between 1926 and 1938. English only and English/French versions pictured.

Old 08-23-2023, 12:43 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

card #50 RC William Thoms played 548 games in the National Hockey League for the Toronto Maple Leafs, Chicago Black Hawks and Boston Bruins between 1932 and 1945. After his retirement in 1945, Thoms briefly coached the Toronto Marlboros of the Ontario Hockey Association, and died of a heart attack on December 26, 1964.