NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-23-2004, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Default help with regrades

Posted By: shoo 

I have several cards i want regraded by sgc, i dont want to damage my cards trying to break open the slabs, will sgc regrade them if i send them to them what a about psa thanks shoo

Old 07-23-2004, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

If you are looking to regrade, it's always best to break the slab. SGC isn't problem. Get a small, flat tip screwdriver, put it in the seam of the slab and twist. The slab will easily seperate.

Jay

Old 07-23-2004, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Jay,

I have a few cards Im looking to regrade as well - I believe each will get at least a half grade bump from PSA. Why do you believe that it is better to break the cards out - as opposed to sending them in the slab and providing your minimum accepted grade (at least then, if it doesnt get the grade you think, wont it be returned in the original slab with the original grade).

Also, how easy/difficult is it to open a bvg(beckett) slab? Thanks.

Old 07-23-2004, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

It is probably best to break them out. PSA may cross some things over in the same grade, but it is highly unlikely that they will give something a higher grade if it is in another company's holder, simply because they want to avoid the perception of being the softer grading company.
Jim

Old 07-23-2004, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: aro13

Here is an excellent website that will help you with how to crack out a graded card: http://www.seanet.com/~brucemo/card_articles/deslab.htm

If you send the card in an SGC holder and ask for the half-grade bump it is very possible your card will come back in the SGC holder. If you crack the card and send it raw to PSA your chances of a higher grade are better but many things can go wrong. I have only had one card come back with a higher grade and that was a 1965-66 Hockey card that went from a BGS 7 to a PSA 8 using the re-grade service. Otherwise, the grades have been the same or lower for my submissions.

Old 07-23-2004, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Are pros slabs similiar to those of psa and sgc, ive got a really funny feeling about this card which is t206 speaker in a pro slab. Im not sure if they made crappy holders or the card has been trimmed. The card moves way too much in this holder.Its the only card I have graded by pro so i have nothing to compare with.

Old 07-23-2004, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

If it's PRO, it's probably trimmed. There has been the rare unaltered card in a PRO holder, but I wouldn't count on it.

Jay

Old 07-25-2004, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Pcelli60

I collect some graded pre-war. But I must admit, I get from time to time caught up in the grading system and really lose sight of the object. I have before me this little piece of the past and I dont even see it..So I stop and wonder, regrade? I even find myself going out of my way to avoid graded cards. Avoiding them might just be the greatest challenge of my collecting future.

Old 07-25-2004, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

Probably best not to submit a card in a PSA holder to SGC for a regrade or vice versa unless you want the same grade and a new holder because I don't believe either will bump it up and be perceived as an easier grader.
As far as PRO graded cards go, I have a few caramel cards sitting in PRO holders simply for protective reasons. A couple of really nice E98s which had a tiny color flake off and which I unknowingly (before reading this board) replaced with a tiny spot of glue on the tiny flake, thus rendering them ungradeable by the Big 3, reside in PRO holders. I also have a couple of obviously trimmed cards in PRO holders that were purchased cheap but have tremendous eye appeal and actually a couple of gorgeous caramel cards which may or may not be altered and which I'll probably break out and send to SGC for regrading. The bottom line is, yes, there are cards in PRO holders which are trimmed and yes, they do grade some trimmed cards, BUT yes, so does PSA and anyone who doesn't believe that is fooling themselves.

Old 07-25-2004, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason Smith

>BUT yes, so does PSA and anyone who doesn't believe that is fooling themselves.

That does worry me, but what worries me more is that I'll buy what looks like a great card raw and then have it come back as trimmed. That's happened to me once. I still can't tell it's trimmed. But then I'll see cards that I do think are trimmed, or at least are smaller than it seems they should be...
It doesn't matter that much, because I do still enjoy the card (T206 Jack Quinn), I just can't register it.
Jason

Old 07-26-2004, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Send them in in the holders but note all over your invoice "do not remove cards from PSA holders unless they receive an equal or higher grade". They will follow your instructions.

Old 07-26-2004, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Thanks for everybodys input, what are the measurements for a t207 card thanks

Old 07-26-2004, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

The last part of your argument is putting PSA, or other reputable services, in the same category as PRO. That's not a very fair comparison, imo. Pro is the absolute worst of the companies at grading trimmed cards.....as NASA and AAA usually grade pieces of paper cut from books....generally worth about zilch.....So, with all do respect, your analogy wasn't quite right, imo......take care.....( I too think there are probably a few PRO graded cards that aren't trimmed though )