NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 04-02-2013, 09:30 AM
Larrie Dean

Default Cobb Autographs

A lady contacted me saying she had the following:

20 letters from TY COBB
1 Cobb autographed ball
1 New York Giants team signed 1922 ball

Her relative was a nanny hired by Cobb. All items are being authenicated. Prices for Cobb autographs are all over the place...comments/suggestions?!

Last edited by larrie804; 04-02-2013 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Adding "Team signed"
Old 04-02-2013, 09:36 AM
Scott

Be sure they are real. if so. consign some to major auctions, maybe sell a few on here. There are some high rollers.

authenticity is the key. Good luck.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:53 AM
pete ullman

the giants ball could be huge if it has ross youngs, matty on it...def want to consign that to a big house like rea!!!!
Old 04-02-2013, 02:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie804 View Post

20 letters from TY COBB
1 Cobb autographed ball

Her relative was a nanny hired by Cobb. All items are being authenicated. Prices for Cobb autographs are all over the place...comments/suggestions?!
tell her to get them authenticated by someone who knows cobb, not just any big authentication company that has been known to authenticate cobb's signature on a photo of Hack Simmons.

Last edited by travrosty; 04-02-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:27 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
tell her to get them authenticated by someone who knows cobb, not just any big authentication company that has been known to authenticate cobb's signature on a photo of Hack Simmons.
How much are you charging Travis, since you are the expert on autographs.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac2004 View Post
Well, Isaac, at least Travis doesn't go back and edit out his mistakes if he blows it. "I would like some more photos if possible" LOL!

If you're not willing to stand behind your own judgements, or admit you made a mistake, Isaac, don't criticize anyone else.

Last edited by David Atkatz; 04-02-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:58 PM

Sounds like a score to me.

Last edited by packs; 04-02-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:02 PM

Whatever you do, share pictures. Would love to see the baseballs.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:03 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac2004 View Post
He has never claimed to be an expert on Cobb.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 04-02-2013, 05:04 PM
Richard Simon

Does the OP own these items now?
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 04-02-2013, 05:07 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie804 View Post

20 letters from TY COBB
1 Cobb autographed ball

I've never understood how someone close to a player could have so many letters that were MAILED by the player. What happened - did they all get returned to Cobb for insufficient postage?
Old 04-02-2013, 05:07 PM
Larrie Dean

Default Cobb + Items

All are still owned by the family! I have first refusal.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Christopher Williams

Photos?
Old 04-02-2013, 05:13 PM

20 letters isn't that many if you knew a person for 20 years. It was a different time. You wrote letters to people who lived down the street.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:04 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
Interesting. Who do you recommend? This is asked in all earnestness.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 04-02-2013, 08:28 PM
Dan McCarthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty bombjack View Post
Interesting. Who do you recommend? This is asked in all earnestness.
Todd Mueller
Old 04-03-2013, 08:33 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
20 letters isn't that many if you knew a person for 20 years. It was a different time. You wrote letters to people who lived down the street.
That's right. In my stamp collection I have a number of things mailed within the same town. Not everyone had telephones or cars, so even a short trip was a bit of a big deal. I don't have one from the same street yet, but they're not unusual. Ones mailed across town or to the next town are very common.

In urban areas mail delivery was twice a day. And sometimes the postman might wait for a quick answer.

One town I lived in had crank telephones within my lifetime, I think the last one was taken out of service when I was 7 or 8. We lived outside the town center and had a party line. We knew a couple older people that didn't have phones. (One also had no teeth and still ate apples right off the tree as well as corn on the cob. I'm unsure just why, but it's left a lasting impression)

Steve B
Old 04-03-2013, 11:02 AM
Mike Navarro

You wrote "A lady contacted me saying she had the following:

20 letters from TY COBB
1 Cobb autographed ball

Her relative was a nanny hired by Cobb. All items are being authenicated. Prices for Cobb autographs are all over the place...comments/suggestions?!"

Without knowing what your intentions are, it’s hard giving suggestions. For example, are you looking to help her maximize her $$$ from the sale of the items, or are you looking more toward getting them from her at the least possible price for your own dealings? Or perhaps a hybrid of the two?

20 letters from Ty Cobb – From what I’ve seen over the years, Cobb was a relatively prolific letter writer in his older years. In other words, it’s not hard to find one if you want one. Pricing varies tremendously based on several factors including:
1) Content – A letter with great baseball content, or about his “rivalry” with Ruth, or about his “scandals”, or about the impact the death of his father had on him, would obviously be worth a lot more than letters discussing routine health matters or small talk or “how are you? I’m doing fine.” Etc, etc. etc.
2) Date – Everything else being equal, letters from during his playing days will typically be worth more than letters from the 50’s and 60’s.
3) With envelope or without- Some of his letters on the market still have the original mailing envelopes in his hand and with his initials or TR Cobb or something to that affect in his hand. Everything else being equal, letters with envelope will be worth more than those without
4) Signature – Many of his letters to personal friends and acquaintances will simply be signed “Ty” Everything else being equal, letters signed with his surname as well will be worth more.
5) ALS or TLS – Are they typewritten or handwritten? Many people prefer handwritten.
6) Stationary- Are they on his letterhead or notecards, or on generic paper?
7) Length- Many people will weight this differently. Some people like letters on a single page for small, concise, display purposes, and will pay a premium for that. Other people prefer as much in the athletes hand as possible, and would prefer longer letters on several pages. This factor is highly individualistic.
8) Number of times he uses Cobb in the body of the letter – Although this is generally frowned upon by many people here, there are people that will pay a premium for a lengthy letter where he has used “Cobb” many times in the body, because they will plan to cut those out and make custom cut cards or other souvenir items from them. Again, it’s generally frowned upon here, but it is reality and needs to be taken into consideration when determining worth.

1 Cobb autographed ball – There are multiple factors that will come into play here as well:
1) Single signed or multi-signed – In other words, is Cobb the only signature on the ball? Generally speaking, everything else being equal, the single signed Cobb will sell for a big premium over multi signed balls that include Cobb. With a single signed ball in good condition, I’d expect it to be worth a minimum of 5 figures.
2) Official major league baseball or other ball – An OMLB from his playing days would command more than a little league baseball, or a generic baseball.
3) Condition – Cobb single signed balls are very condition sensitive to determine pricing. Moreso the condition of the signature than the ball, but both are important.

In my opinion, a choice condition Ty Cobb single signed OMLB from his playing days with vintage signature would be quite a find and would be the gem of the items you mentioned.

1 New York Giants team signed ball from 1922 – I’ve got no suggestions on this, never followed the market for that.

Generally, if trying to sell the items:

1) If the Cobb ball is “special”, meaning single signed OMLB from his playing days with vintage signature, then contact auction houses such as REA and Memory Lane and negotiate a no sellers commission deal for yourself, and let them sell it for you using their best judgement on how to maximize the price (IE, private placement with one of their clients, catalog auction, internet auction, etc)
2) If the Cobb ball is a typical multi signed ball, just send it to one of the houses such as Heritage, Lelands, etc. You should be able to search past auction results and get a pretty good idea of what to expect it to sell for.
3) On the letters, I would cull out any that have exceptional content and treat them like the “special” ball above. On the rest of them, I would release them slowly over a two year period, as to not dilute the market and would place them in different auction houses over a period of time, and/or advertise them on internet forums such as this one. You might even consider offering a couple dealers the opportunity to sell the items for you and you set the floor price.

Good luck!

Mike