NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-04-2015, 06:48 PM

Default 1968 Topps Plaks checklist cards

I think the American and National league checklist cards are among the best looking issue that topps produced in the 60 s
What is better then a checklist with pictures of all the star players !

My question is this :

1. How where they distributed ? I am under the impression that they where all hand cut from factory sheets and never put in the actual package that had the Plaks . Is this correct ? There was s big unopened find about 5 years ago and I don't think the market was flooded with checklist.

2. How was one plaks checklist able to receive a PSA number grade (7?) and all the rest receive "authentic " ?

3.Does anyone have the American league plak checklist to sell ?
Old 02-04-2015, 07:48 PM
Howard Chasser

Default To the best of my knowledge

I believe these were issued. I have seen packs, wrappers and display boxes from the issue. While I am not clear how the checklist cards were distributed, I believe that the few with numerical grades were determined to have been factory cut and distributed.
The story I was told is that some 25+ years ago there was an uncut sheet that was cut up - most of the circulating copies today are from that sheet. The sheet was partially damaged which fits with many of the copies I have seen over the years have varying degrees of damage. There was also apart of the sheet that was "pristine".
The "find" of plaks a few years ago did not include any checklist cards. It did however "flood" the market with plaks. Only Brian Drent knows for sure, but it is my understanding there was a material quantity of plaks found.
I have been fortunate to own a number of these over the years and agree they are some of the most colorful and cool cards out there!

Perhaps Dave H, Al, Bob, Larry or a few other test collectors have more to offer?

Most of this is third or fourth hand so le that influence however it does. All the best.

Howard
Old 02-05-2015, 08:00 AM
Shane

Thumbs up

I absolutely love these topics about Topps test issues. I am a Cardinals team set collector and am on a quest to get several of these issues that I still need. I am the proud owner of one of the National League checklists. I have had it for a couple of years. The catch with mine is that it is signed by Pete Rose. I think that is why I was able to get it as inexpensively as I did. As far as the distribution I do not know. It would be interesting to know. As far as the plaks themselves "flooding" the market, I wish I could find that "flood" . I am still in need of a Orlando Cepeda plak. I own a Tim McCarver already. It is an individual piece not on a sprue. I think there is a Cepeda on eBay right now but it is in a sprue with two others. I am only interested in the individual piece.

Last edited by frankhardy; 02-05-2015 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:55 AM
Brian Erickson

I just had a Checklist #2 through PSA. The card, to me, looked in pristine condition with no damage to it. It received an authentic vs a numerical grade. Not sure why yet. Has anyone ever sent back an authentically graded card and received a numeric grade? I can post a picture of the card later.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:39 AM
Howard Chasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankhardy View Post
I absolutely love these topics about Topps test issues. I am a Cardinals team set collector and am on a quest to get several of these issues that I still need. I am the proud owner of one of the National League checklists. I have had it for a couple of years. The catch with mine is that it is signed by Pete Rose. I think that is why I was able to get it as inexpensively as I did. As far as the distribution I do not know. It would be interesting to know. As far as the plaks themselves "flooding" the market, I wish I could find that "flood" . I am still in need of a Orlando Cepeda plak. I own a Tim McCarver already. It is an individual piece not on a sprue. I think there is a Cepeda on eBay right now but it is in a sprue with two others. I am only interested in the individual piece.

Mile High card co unearthed "the find" and I believe still has plenty for sale:

http://www.milehighcardco.com/viewus...?pn=ToppsPlaks
Old 02-06-2015, 09:41 AM
Howard Chasser

Default It was probably determined to be sheet cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgejules1 View Post
I just had a Checklist #2 through PSA. The card, to me, looked in pristine condition with no damage to it. It received an authentic vs a numerical grade. Not sure why yet. Has anyone ever sent back an authentically graded card and received a numeric grade? I can post a picture of the card later.

PSA will grade as authentic any card that they determine to be sheet cut. Most of the Plak checklists in the market were sheet cut. See my earlier post in this thread. You could call and ask them why it graded "A" - they have always told me when I asked.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:28 PM
Brian Erickson

Thanks for the information Howard.
Here is the promised picture.

Plak.jpg
Old 02-06-2015, 04:16 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

The Mile High find came from an ex Topps Duryea employee's home and I don't believe there were any wrappers or checklists associated with it. I do think the checklists were packaged with the sprues, or at least some of them.

I bought an AL checklist at the AC National over a decade ago. I brought it to SGC to get graded and when I came back they said it could not be holdered; not because it was sheet cut but because it had an odd factory cut and they could not cut a gasket for it:

You can see how the top curves off to the right on both sides. The grader thought it was the result of high speed cutting.

I would think that in addition to those inserted into packs and those that were sheet cut, some would have been cut and left at the factory when the test fizzled and found their way to Card Collectors Co or Bill Haber eventually. Leftover sheets could even have been cut at the factory for the third party reseller.

Combined PSA/SGC pops are 49 checklists graded, of which 19 have number grades and the rest are Auth. There is only one high grade checklist, an SGC 96 NL. 21 AL and 28 NL have been graded overall.

Last edited by toppcat; 02-06-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:51 PM
Shane

I checked out the Mile High site. I don't think I will be paying $1350 for a single Cepeda. I paid $100 for my McCarver.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:23 AM

Thanks for all the info. The question is still unanswered... Can anyone confirm that the checklist where put in packs ? I think toppcat said "thinks they were put in some packs." I have never found any info confirming that the checklist were in packs. Thanks. Scott
Old 02-07-2015, 08:38 AM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default plaks

yes the checklists are in packs
Old 02-07-2015, 09:01 AM

Just curious... How do you know? Is there an example of an unopened pack where you can see or feel the checklist through the wrapper?
Thanks. Scott
Old 02-07-2015, 09:27 AM
Anthøny N. ex

a friend of mine opened up a '68 Topps Plaks pack at the Toronto show a few years ago and videoed it. It was the pack from the Dreier collection. I can't find the video on youtube but it's there, I'll try and get the link.

Last edited by Griffins; 02-07-2015 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:05 AM

Wow. That's going to be s cool video
hope you find it for us
Old 02-07-2015, 04:40 PM

Confirmation from Quitcrab ......the checklist did come in packs .... As stated before maybe not all packs but some packs had checklist.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:15 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Al - where are you?

I believe Al on this board has an unopened pack.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:21 AM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default plaks

yes have unopened packs
Old 02-08-2015, 11:59 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

You would need the cardboard stiffener as those sprues would not last long without a checklist card riding shotgun in the pack.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:57 AM
Shane

I would love to see a video of a pack being opened....

I would really love for my wife to be the one doing the videoing while I am the one opening it!

Old 02-15-2015, 02:05 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default Plak

I just looked that Topps Plax set up...strange ..no Willie Mays in there ?
Old 02-15-2015, 03:18 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default plaks

i have willie mays
Old 02-15-2015, 04:47 PM

I've seen the video, he pulled a Killebrew/cepada/Howard plak tree and the AL checklist
Old 02-16-2015, 06:18 AM

The video has the checklist card coming out of pack with corner wear. Pretty crazy !
Old 02-16-2015, 09:45 AM
Anthøny N. ex

I was very familiar with that pack, it was very well handled. Not to mention withe the checklist being the only card in the pack any wear would hit it hard.