NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-13-2015, 06:30 AM
Kev1n @1les

Default Is Hank going up exponentially or is this a beautifully centered anomally?

I swear that I posted this, but I can't find it. If I posted in the wrong spot and it is now double posted, please delete.

http://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-b...l?itemid=81513

Next on my hit list is a PSA 6 1954 Hank Aaron (along with '55 Clemente, '55 Koufax, '54 Banks, and '54 Kaline). While researching prices on Aaron, it felt like $1600-$2200 was the range. Last night in the Huggins & Scott auction, the final price was $3000 - nearly $3600 after the BP. It is a beautifully centered example, so it might be an outlier - but I wanted to check to make sure that my pricing expectations were realistic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81513_1954_topps_aaron.jpg (79.9 KB, 395 views)

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 02-13-2015, 06:51 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

I have been collecting 1954 topps actively the last few months..and really only into psa 8s or 7s for the big guys..

As to psa 6s theres a big price range...the big guns are always there to bid on psa 8s..but on psa 6s you can get soft auctions from time to time...i think you can get the aaron in at least the high 2ks in the next 3 months..
Old 02-13-2015, 08:01 AM
Matt

It's all about the card. For many, there is probably a natural human tendency to herd all cards with the same grade into the same narrow price bandwidth, yet the truth will always be that each card is unique.

This 6 is clearly much nicer than the "average" 6 and even many 7s. The Aaron RC is usually woefully centered and tilted, and it seems this copy garnered a premium for not having the usual eye appeal flaws. If the flip was covered, I would guess that card was a 7 or 7.5.

It may have the effect of creating more buzz around the card, which is already a very in-demand classic. But I'd venture the next "average" 6 with the usual eye appeal issues does not equal what this one sold for. Though the next very nice one just might. Bravo to the collectors who focused on the card and not the flip and bid it up past the good old "VCP average."

Last edited by MattyC; 02-13-2015 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:38 AM
Russ

I'm an Aaron collector and always monitor the market for his cards. I have noticed that his 54 Topps Rookie card is selling well over BV fairly frequently.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:22 AM
Bill Gregory

That's a pretty sexy six. I'd love to have that in my collection!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:26 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
That's a pretty sexy six. I'd love to have that in my collection!
sexy six...any other names like 'fine five'? fortuitous four, stunning seven, etc..
Old 02-14-2015, 10:14 PM
C@rl P@rk

Default Fortuitous Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
sexy six...any other names like 'fine five'? fortuitous four, stunning seven, etc..
I'm going to call the Aaron rook I picked up a few months back a "Fortuitous Four."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1954 Topps Henry Aaron.jpg (73.8 KB, 235 views)
Old 02-17-2015, 07:06 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Default hey guys...

hello all! my name is Bob and I am new to this forum. full disclosure: I was on the psa forum site for a while but was banned for debate between usps and fedex. this debate did not result in any threats or curse words but the admin forum "dictated" that it was a fight and banned us. She has also banned several other members lately, locked certain threads and there has been tons of off board discussions calling her actions in question. one member summed it up best: the soccer mom doesn't belong in the teams showers.

anywho, back to this thread and this card:

I picked this card up. she's all mine and I couldn't be happier. final tally after buyers premium and shipping was $3731. are there other 6's that could be picked up for less than $1500? sure! but they don't carry a candle in comparison to this. I have 2 psa 7's and a few sgc's and would trade any of them for this one. there is zero tilt, she's perfectly centered, a nice cut on the edges and spectacular color. this card is for the ones that don't automatically look at the flip first.

I will try to post a few pics when I get the sec. as stated, new to this forum and still have my training wheels on. still don't know how to follow a thread, post of pic or anything really. this is my first post, but it's refreshing to find a forum where the admin has a more realistic set of rules and not under the notion that everybody has to agree on everything.

Last edited by begsu1013; 02-17-2015 at 07:11 PM. Reason: to add content.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:07 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

begsu I think I bought a few cards from you on ebay..
Old 02-17-2015, 09:27 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Default hmmm

i don't usually sell too much, but what cards are ya thinking?

i did just sell a 52 mantle psa 5 and 51 mantle psa 6, as i upgraded to a 52 psa 6....

either that or maybe some 1972s?
Old 02-17-2015, 10:57 PM
Kev1n @1les

Quote:
Originally Posted by begsu1013 View Post
hello all! my name is Bob and I am new to this forum. full disclosure: I was on the psa forum site for a while but was banned for debate between usps and fedex. this debate did not result in any threats or curse words but the admin forum "dictated" that it was a fight and banned us. She has also banned several other members lately, locked certain threads and there has been tons of off board discussions calling her actions in question. one member summed it up best: the soccer mom doesn't belong in the teams showers.

I picked this card up. she's all mine and I couldn't be happier. final tally after buyers premium and shipping was $3731. are there other 6's that could be picked up for less than $1500? sure! but they don't carry a candle in comparison to this. I have 2 psa 7's and a few sgc's and would trade any of them for this one. there is zero tilt, she's perfectly centered, a nice cut on the edges and spectacular color. this card is for the ones that don't automatically look at the flip first.

I will try to post a few pics when I get the sec. as stated, new to this forum and still have my training wheels on. still don't know how to follow a thread, post of pic or anything really. this is my first post, but it's refreshing to find a forum where the admin has a more realistic set of rules and not under the notion that everybody has to agree on everything.
Beautiful Card! I have been budgeting and holding out for Hank. When I received the catelog, I determined that I was going to make a run. I decided I would go up to 2800 after BP. Imagine my disappointment when it hit that number about 3 days into the auction. I am still wondering if I should have taken a bigger swing, but, alas, I will find one some day.

Welcome to the forum and take care.

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 02-17-2015, 11:33 PM
Mikeknapp

Welcome begsu, anyone who collects Dock Ellis, Vida Blue, and Rick Flair can't be all that bad

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 02-20-2015, 12:18 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Default scan added!

hey guys!

thanks for the welcoming. yes, I love the stories of dock and vida. grew up watching ric flair as well and certainly hope his story ends up on a happier note. dude was definitely a riot in the ring though!

back to the aaron...here is that scan that was promised w/o any of the huggins and scott copyright inserts. hopefully I did it right...

I do wish psa didn't have that little "psa" logo in the bottom right corner of their holders. slight distraction.

Last edited by begsu1013; 02-20-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:31 PM
Tom Boblitt

Beautiful card.............
Old 02-20-2015, 12:45 PM

That is a showcase card. Very nice.
Congrats on the addition.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begsu1013 View Post

Welcome Bob and I think this is the best sports card forum site. Very impressive collection you have as I see looking at your registry.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:00 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Hi there Begsu.
I remember you. The Nolan Ryan guy. I was wondering if you were a PSA registry guy.
Welcome aboard here,
Anyways- thats a great looking Hank there!!!
What are your collecting goals?
Impressive Mantle collecton you have there!!! 8's & 9's WOZZERS. Theres several of us Mantle guys that would be jealous of those beauties.

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 02-21-2015 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:00 AM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

thanks guys! yes, primarily a psa set registry participant, but not completely brand loyal there. I do have a some bvg and sgc cards peppered through out the collection. while I think psa does hold the tightest grading standards, there are /have been several major slips ups. from the honus, to the fraudulent magie error that was slabbed and a whole host of other issues and questionable grades. nobody's perfect, though. I certainly am not!

as for my collecting goals, that's a good question...i'm primarily a vintage collector and stick to the regular issued cards (no highlights, record breakers, etc). but for 2015, i'd like to finish banging out my mantle and berra sets in 8's or better with an emphasis on centered cards. i'd like to just do 9's, but they just rarely come up and when they do, they dont meet my personal centering demands considering the money they command. lately, ive been picking up a lot of 6's and 7's that to me should be 8's or better. ie. this aaron. they just dont get added to my registry sets, but garner just as much love and appreciation from me!!

other constant goals are my nolan ryan sets and picking up vintage golf cards and yes, even wrestling cards. i'd love to find a centered 9 in an '82 Hogan. not sure if there are many golf collectors on this board, but if so lemme know.

i also enjoy picking up oddball cards. anything from nasty nick, to curly and the stooges, to anything really off the wall...will post a few of my favs, if yall dont mind....