NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 03-30-2017, 02:17 PM

Default Question re: toning on UDA baseballs

I've had my eye on both Ted Williams and Mickey Mantle UDA baseballs for years (one of those "I'm in no rush so I'll buy it when it's the right ball at the right price" things) and I am surprised what a high percentage of both have severe splotchy, uneven toning. I've never seen such consistently bad toning issues from any other particular athlete/certifier combination, and I assume I'm not the first to notice this. They all appear to be ROMLBs, but I'm assuming there must be a (now) known issue with UDA balls that were signed by Mantle or Williams during a certain timeframe?

Also, to those who might have a little bit more knowledge on these types of things, if you can find one that still hasn't toned as of 2017, is it reasonable to assume it probably won't?

Thanks in advance, happy collecting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2017, 02:33 PM

I've noticed my Bobby Brown OMLB tend to tone way more than my other ones. I'm guessing a pretty fair amount, maybe all, of the UDA balls are Bobby Brown's.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:15 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

I remember talking to someone about this. I heard they had used improper chemicals to treat the leather for some period of time. I'm not sure of the years though. But basically what you said is correct, if it hasn't gotten blotchy then it will not.

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 03-30-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I've noticed my Bobby Brown OMLB tend to tone way more than my other ones. I'm guessing a pretty fair amount, maybe all, of the UDA balls are Bobby Brown's.

I think you're right, I believe all of them I've seen like this are Bobby Brown. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:00 PM
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjc1983 View Post
I think you're right, I believe all of them I've seen like this are Bobby Brown. Thanks for the info.

FWIW, I have UDA balls of Mantle w/No 7 inscription, and Williams on Bobby Brown balls and the Mabtle is Snow White with no toning, and so is the Williams. Both are over 20 years old and still look great. All luck of the draw on the UDA balls whether they are excellent or splotchy
Old 03-30-2017, 09:01 PM
Kevin

But at this point if they haven't shown any issues yet they likely won't down the road.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:27 AM
Michael I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kco View Post
But at this point if they haven't shown any issues yet they likely won't down the road.
Yes there was a bad chemical it the hatti balls and like he said the splochyness occured pretty soon after produced. If you find one with no splotches then chances are it will be ok.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:52 PM
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7imel View Post
Yes there was a bad chemical it the hatti balls and like he said the splochyness occured pretty soon after produced. If you find one with no splotches then chances are it will be ok.
Rawlings has had these issues off and on with different batches of balls over the years. The last huge one was the 2008/2009 specialty Baseballs (ASG, final and inaugural ayankees balls). When I was with Steiner we literally had multiple thousands of these signed by tons of players and within 12 months huge oil spots and splotchyness was occurring on nearly half of the balls due to a parasite that was infesting the core and leather. There was also an additional issue with the printed on ink not setting into the leather correctly for those balls either so the logos are often chipped, dull or display a very poor stamping. It's actually not as easy as you'd think to find clean signed balls for any of those three specialty balls.

Not relevant to this particular example but Rawlings still struggles with these issues.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kco View Post
Rawlings has had these issues off and on with different batches of balls over the years. The last huge one was the 2008/2009 specialty Baseballs (ASG, final and inaugural ayankees balls). When I was with Steiner we literally had multiple thousands of these signed by tons of players and within 12 months huge oil spots and splotchyness was occurring on nearly half of the balls due to a parasite that was infesting the core and leather. There was also an additional issue with the printed on ink not setting into the leather correctly for those balls either so the logos are often chipped, dull or display a very poor stamping. It's actually not as easy as you'd think to find clean signed balls for any of those three specialty balls.

Not relevant to this particular example but Rawlings still struggles with these issues.

Thanks for the info!

Old 04-07-2017, 10:11 PM

is toning the same as spotting on a baseball? what can be done when a ball starts to tone or spot? will it continue to tone or spot? thanks
Old 04-08-2017, 06:12 AM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

While I am just splitting hairs, as it doesn't change anything, I spoke with an exec with Rawlings a few years ago, and I was told that the brown spots that developed on the balls from the 2008-09 period was due to bad manufacturing equipment at the factory. Machine oil leaked into the adhesive during the manufacturing process and slowly migrated from the adhesive layer into the leather over time. That is why the oil spots took a year or so to develop. Just to be safe, I now buy OMLBs and let them sit around for a good amount of time before getting them signed! Just to see if they will develop any type of blemish. Better safe than sorry, since the current guys and HOFers charge so much!

Last edited by jimjim; 04-08-2017 at 06:12 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
While I am just splitting hairs, as it doesn't change anything, I spoke with an exec with Rawlings a few years ago, and I was told that the brown spots that developed on the balls from the 2008-09 period was due to bad manufacturing equipment at the factory. Machine oil leaked into the adhesive during the manufacturing process and slowly migrated from the adhesive layer into the leather over time. That is why the oil spots took a year or so to develop. Just to be safe, I now buy OMLBs and let them sit around for a good amount of time before getting them signed! Just to see if they will develop any type of blemish. Better safe than sorry, since the current guys and HOFers charge so much!

This is a good idea, I think I'm going to do the same going forward.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerunhitter View Post
is toning the same as spotting on a baseball? what can be done when a ball starts to tone or spot? will it continue to tone or spot? thanks

I'm not sure about the official definitions, but when people say toning I think of an overall change in the general color of the ball, such as what an aged ball looks like. That I don't mind so much if it's fairly even over the ball. Like this:

Spotting to me is the big ugly splotches on only part of the ball, like these:

Old 04-08-2017, 04:12 PM

Thank you so much for teaching me the difference. I really didnt know it. after seeing th pics, i agree, toning, im ok with. spotting not so much. with spotting, once it starts does it keep spreading? thanks
Old 04-08-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerunhitter View Post
Thank you so much for teaching me the difference. I really didnt know it. after seeing th pics, i agree, toning, im ok with. spotting not so much. with spotting, once it starts does it keep spreading? thanks

Really don't know. I assume that it will occur over a period of time, and then stop. For instance, the baseballs I mentioned in my OP were probably signed no later than the mid-90s, I would guess whatever you see at this point on the ball is probably how it will be.

Whereas, if as other people have mentioned Rawlings does have these problems from time to time, there are probably some newly signed balls that haven't even started showing this problem yet but will eventually.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:15 AM
Steve Zarelli

Everyone may have a different interpretation, but to me "toning" is an even change of color on the entire ball. Very few, if any baseballs, stay snow white... they all tone to some degree due to the aging of the organic material and the various chemicals in it.

Spotting is when there are distinct dark spots or stains. I think most collectors would avoid a ball with unappealing stains... especially of they are near the signature.