NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 04-03-2013, 08:24 AM
Banned

Default How to sell an autograph without certification from abc and xyz co., and easy primer!

This will be a continuing blog with points 1-10, etc.

1. First, know the market. Let's say you have a nice Babe Ruth cut, you believe it to be real, but not quite sure, you don't want to be had for the 170 dollars or so the authentication companies will charge, pass or fail, and how do you know they know their stuff and it won't get failed even though it is good? Or vice versa? You are 170 in the hole either way for an autograph with a poor track record of authentication from these companies.

Well, first know your market. Ask around and read online and elsewhere first and foremost just how much a nice cut of Babe Ruth costs a collector. If it's 3 thousand dollars, then that's it. If it is 3500, then you are an informed seller. But figure it out, a range that decent Ruth cuts go for, so you know your target price you would be willing to accept.

more to come.......
Old 04-03-2013, 08:33 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
This will be a continuing blog with points 1-10, etc.

1. First, know the market. Let's say you have a nice Babe Ruth cut, you believe it to be real, but not quite sure, you don't want to be had for the 170 dollars or so the authentication companies will charge, pass or fail, and how do you know they know their stuff and it won't get failed even though it is good? Or vice versa? You are 170 in the hole either way for an autograph with a poor track record of authentication from these companies.

Well, first know your market. Ask around and read online and elsewhere first and foremost just how much a nice cut of Babe Ruth costs a collector. If it's 3 thousand dollars, then that's it. If it is 3500, then you are an informed seller. But figure it out, a range that decent Ruth cuts go for, so you know your target price you would be willing to accept.

more to come.......
Let me guess...#2). ???
To belittle the abc and xyz companies(BIGGEST, MOST SUCCESSFUL AND MOST RESPECTED) in effort to gain trust and respect from the buyer. If this is one of the 10, I would remove it from your business model as talking bad about the competion is a NO NO in business ethics 101.

"Talking bad about your competition will actually make you look bad. “Bad mouthing the competition puts your business ethics into question, and in the end taints your appeal to a prospective customer. In most cases, the potential customer already has some knowledge of businesses in the industry that provide both good and bad service, and if you are in the room discussing a possible deal, concentrate on outlining what your business can deliver and refrain from focusing on what the competition can not.”
-BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins-

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 04-03-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:36 AM
Banned

i dont have a business so what's this business model stuff? i can;t have an individual opinion? do you know an abc or xyz authentication co? show me their websites? how am i in competition?

most respected.... is on a sliding scale so that doesnt count. who is the most respected out of this trio? bad guy #1, bad guy#2. guy who fudges on his taxes? most respected is subjective, people might say guy who fudges might be most respected, but does he rise to the level of respect as a benchmark overall??

it's up to each individual to judge. i have my bar that is set and as far as authentication goes, they are playing limbo.

if abc, xyz was doing such a great job, there wouldnt be a need for this thread, would there? put people ask me about it regularly. why is that?

how is blackberry doing these days? have you ever seen the commercial "where's the beef" ooops, wendy's violated your golden rule. And please show me the good track record of babe ruth authentications by these abc, xyz companies. i only told the truth.

Last edited by travrosty; 04-03-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:20 PM

I think the first thing you need to do is find out if a signature is authentic.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:24 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I think the first thing you need to do is find out if a signature is authentic.
According to the expert writing the article, "Step 1" is to determine price range.

Perhaps authenticity is somewhere in 2 - 10 of this pulse pounding, edge-of-your-seat informational series.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:11 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
put people ask me about it regularly. why is that?
They are not asking you "how too", they are challenging your assertion that there is no price difference in selling TPA vs non-TPA. It is not a subtle difference. And your answer always seems to be "I sold one once that didn't make up the cost of authentication and I know more than them anyway. So that proves it."

I call B.S. on anyone asking you how to sell anything.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:26 PM

I don't think there will be many buyers of a high dollar signature without proper authentication. You and I differ on what proper authentication is, but we should both agree you will never sell a high dollar signature like Ruth's without a major COA for what you would sell it with one. To say that's not the case is ignoring reality to prove a point to I don't know who.

Last edited by packs; 04-03-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:31 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
I don't think there will be many buyers of a high dollar signature without proper authentication. You and I differ on what proper authentication is, but we should both agree you will never sell a high dollar signature like Ruth's without a major COA for what you would sell it with one. To say that's not the case is ignoring reality to prove a point to I don't know who.
"Ignoring reality" is about all there is to it. No further response needed. Well done.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 04-03-2013, 02:35 PM

A major COA doesn't have to come from a company like JSA or PSA. For a lot of people a major auction house with a solid reputation's LOA is enough. You don't have to use JSA or PSA if you don't want to, but I think you will need to have your item authenticated in all cases if its a high dollar item.

Last edited by packs; 04-03-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:06 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
A major COA doesn't have to come from a company like JSA or PSA. For a lot of people a major auction house with a solid reputation's LOA is enough. You don't have to use JSA or PSA if you don't want to, but I think you will need to have your item authenticated in all cases if its a high dollar item.
Agreed all around, and everyone wants a piece of the profit of your selling it.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 04-04-2013, 06:02 AM
Mark Fox

Quote:
It's up to each individual to judge.
Exactly! You should follow your own statement a little there. It seems all you ever do with your posts is spew hatred and contempt in an attempt to influence others peoples individual judgement, with the purpose to serve your own vendettas.