NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-05-2017, 12:49 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Hank Aaron

It might be just me, but it doesn't seem like Hank Aaron gets the respect Ruth, Gehrig, Cobb, Mantle, & Mays get when it comes to collecting.

Is there anyone on the board whose focus is Aaron, or just in general anyone have any neat/unique Aaron items.

Show what ya got, please.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:25 PM
Cha.rles He.nry

IMG_1004.jpg
Old 09-05-2017, 04:26 PM
Cha.rles He.nry

In my opinion Aaron's Signed items are way undervalued
Old 09-05-2017, 05:56 PM
Brandon V.

Found some PSA/JSA 8x10s for under $100. Think I'll be getting a few soon.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:15 PM
D@le Irv*n

I believe there are a lot of Hank Aaron collectors on here.

His RC has continued an upward climb since I joined the site in January of 2016 and I don't see that stopping anytime soon.

I have a few Aaron cards, not his RC, unfortunately, but one is definitely on my "hope to own one day" list.
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ron+collection

Last edited by irv; 09-05-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:15 PM
Jeff Lazarus

I would love to pick up a nice Aaron Negro League item, but have not come across anything to this point. Some amazing pieces were sold back in 2008 when many items from Syd Pollock's estate were sold, but I wasn't in the market then.

Last edited by Topnotchsy; 09-06-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:02 PM
Cha.rles He.nry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSeven View Post
Found some PSA/JSA 8x10s for under $100. Think I'll be getting a few soon.
If you're looking to get Aaron signed photos it would be best to look for seldom seen photos and photos with vintage signatures. Always best to look for those then the ones that everyone else has. As a Mickey Mantle collector I look for his vintage signatures because they are much scarcer than the later autograph circuit ones...those also seem undervalued as well.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:21 PM
Belltown Vintage

I recently acquired an Aaron 1970's store model Louisville Slugger that is in nearly perfect shape. It was not my primary purchase but was included with something else. I would love to have Aaron sign it.

Aaron is sort of an enigma to me - as a kid he was one of my favorite hitters, along with Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle and Frank Howard. To us kids, the Aaron card was as sought-after as Mays or any other player after Mantle, and that was well before Aaron passed Ruth. I lived near Houston and we saw the Braves play a lot. Everyone seemed to be at the game to see Aaron (and the Astros) - I never heard anything negative. Yet Aaron has had plenty of bad words for the South and Texas, among other things. I'm sure he didn't imagine the negativity, but I was never too happy with his lumping all of us together.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:58 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I recently acquired an Aaron 1970's store model Louisville Slugger that is in nearly perfect shape. It was not my primary purchase but was included with something else. I would love to have Aaron sign it.

Aaron is sort of an enigma to me - as a kid he was one of my favorite hitters, along with Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle and Frank Howard. To us kids, the Aaron card was as sought-after as Mays or any other player after Mantle, and that was well before Aaron passed Ruth. I lived near Houston and we saw the Braves play a lot. Everyone seemed to be at the game to see Aaron (and the Astros) - I never heard anything negative. Yet Aaron has had plenty of bad words for the South and Texas, among other things. I'm sure he didn't imagine the negativity, but I was never too happy with his lumping all of us together.
Same here. We'd always make sure to include an Atlanta game each year from 1970-1975 when the braves came to play the Dodgers, just to see Hank play. He was my favorite active player followed by Willie Mays and Wes Parker. Fast forward to 1989-today and both Mays and Aaron have been two of the rudest, surliest autograph signers I've ever seen. I've seen them both on multiple occasions (I've been, and always will be, very respectful at signings...yes sir, thank you sir, etc) so it wasn't just one or the other having a bad day. They both seem to lump everyone in to the same boat, so I finally decided to jump out of the boat and not get anything else signed by them.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:10 PM

Extremely difficult Hank, the highest graded is a 5. One of the toughest sets of the 1960's. These were issued in Canada in 1968 and were the same as the US counterparts issued in 1967. The only difference was the poster number and at the bottom it says printed in Canada vs USA. It is thought that the print run for these was roughly 3-5% of the US. Anything you can find is torn or split at the seams. Most of the set pops are single digits.

Last edited by jeff8877; 09-17-2017 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:53 AM
Mike

I still consider Aaron to be the Home Run King of baseball, personally. I just missed seeing Aaron as a player. He retired in Oct of '76, same month I saw my very first baseball game, which was Game 5 of the ALCS. I don't have any Aaron in my collection, but I would love to pick up an autograph at some point, either a certified on card auto or a baseball. Want a bobblehead also as I am starting a HOF'er bobblehead collection.

Mike
Old 09-21-2017, 02:47 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesjetsfan View Post
I still consider Aaron to be the Home Run King of baseball, personally. I just missed seeing Aaron as a player. He retired in Oct of '76, same month I saw my very first baseball game, which was Game 5 of the ALCS. I don't have any Aaron in my collection, but I would love to pick up an autograph at some point, either a certified on card auto or a baseball. Want a bobblehead also as I am starting a HOF'er bobblehead collection.

Mike
Agreed on Aaron as home run king. I also consider Roger Maris to be the single-season HR king, but Stanton might get very close to 61.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:35 PM
H Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Agreed on Aaron as home run king. I also consider Roger Maris to be the single-season HR king, but Stanton might get very close to 61.
Right there with Scott on this thought, Stanton looks like he`s making a serious move on the single season mark. Wonder what the vegas line is on him going over 61 ?
Old 09-21-2017, 08:14 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

He goes to Coors Field next week, that ain't gonna hurt.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:56 PM
Doug Goodman

Regarding Aaron -

I saw him hit #751 at the Oakland Coliseum, and got his autograph before the game when he signed at the side of the field for a few minutes.

Strangely, Billy Williams also hit one that day (#422) and he also had exactly 4 more in his career.

Regarding Stanton -

At this point in the season in 1961, Maris had hit 58, and Mantle 53.

At this point in the 1927 season, Ruth had hit 57.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:09 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
Regarding Aaron -

I saw him hit #751 at the Oakland Coliseum, and got his autograph before the game when he signed at the side of the field for a few minutes.

Strangely, Billy Williams also hit one that day (#422) and he also had exactly 4 more in his career.

Regarding Stanton -

At this point in the season in 1961, Maris had hit 58, and Mantle 53.

At this point in the 1927 season, Ruth had hit 57.
Even stranger, Doug - I just finished doing the exact analysis that you did and was about to post when I read yours!

I will never forgive you.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:56 AM
Todd Jenkins

Next to Harmon Killebrew, he is my favorite and most collected. I have all his regular issue Topps graded from '54 to '76. Here are a few of my favorite Hammering Hanks!

[https://www.flickr.com/photos/187700522@N03/

Recent positve trades with: Brian Van Horn, frank bmd, nkesterke09, ajg, esehombre, mrmantlecollector, KC Doughboy, gregr2,bn2cardz, sycks22
Old 09-25-2017, 07:22 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

My close friend/card rival when I was in primary school was a guy named Michael. We competed to find troves of vintage cards around Manhattan. He collected Clemente, I collected Mays, who I started to idolize at age 8 when he returned to NY to play for the Mets. My uncle took me to Shea once to see the great man and I got to see Lou Brock play too. With the help of the ASCCA show in 1976 I put together a run of every Topps Mays card. I remember turning down a 1951 Bowman at the show saying "I don't collect those." I had the Mays cards until I was in my twenties. I soured on Mays later in life, once I met the man at a show. I was very excited to meet him, of course, boyhood idol and all, so I carefully rehearsed what I was going to say when I was finally in the presence of the great man. I said my piece, Mays didn't even acknowledge me, just rolled my baseball across the table to the handler like he was shooing a cockroach from his dinner plate. I was so disappointed in that non-interaction that I sold off my entire Mays collection, 1952-1973, including the autographed ball [which I'd had Mantle and Snider sign too]. For years I refused to own a Mays card. I've made peace with the Say Nothing Kid since then--you gotta have Mays in a baseball card collection--but the idolization was dead the moment I left his presence.

Which brings me to Hank Aaron, the second player I decided to collect. I remember Aaron's quest for the record in the early 1970s. I was too young and too innocent to understand the social and racial ugliness that existed around the edges of the quest; all I knew was that Henry Aaron ["OH! Henry!" as the candy commercial said] was the greatest baseball player around, especially after 1973 when Mays was gone. I was so thrilled to pull an Aaron card from a pack, something I did in 1971-72-73-74-75-76, and had so much fun chasing down the record-holding cards in 1973 and the Hank Aaron Special series in 1974. I put together a complete run of his Topps cards as a kid in 1977. My respect for the man and his accomplishments has done nothing but grow over the years, especially after I read his autobiography and realized what he had to endure in 1973-74 when he neared 714. And best of all, when I got to meet him, Mr. Aaron was every bit the kind gentleman I'd expected him to be.

Figured I'd toss out a few oddball items I enjoy:

My autograph; got it in person:

Nice to have the souvenir ticket with it so I know when and where I got it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-25-2017 at 07:27 PM.