NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-04-2017, 06:29 PM
Al

Default A Small Tribute To Mike Hoevet (mjkm90)

I have slowed down on my postings over the last year but it was with a heavy heart that I learned of the passing of a good friend Mike Hoevet. A TRUE class act from start to finish. Mike and I would talk for hours about all kinds of topics from sports to family problems..... I will miss him dearly and my thoughts and prayers go out to his family.... Very hard to see his listing in my phone knowing that it wont be answered anymore. As a small tribute to him Mike loved the cubs, tigers ,and whitesox.... Post something that you might have that you might think would make him smile.... These 2 pictures are of another advanced collector I know and Mike would always ask me to post them I know he loved to look at them over and over again.... Heres to you Mike the battle is over and the pain is gone... RIP my friend...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0559.jpg (78.1 KB, 437 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0560.jpg (77.5 KB, 426 views)

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 10-04-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:09 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Mike loved Pennants as well as Pins. My first-ever post on this site was a reply to Mike's inquiry on whether there were other vintage Pennant Collectors here, who wanted to share. It was a no-brainer for me, and quickly got me hooked on net54. But more importantly, it was the beginning of a wonderful friendship.

Here are a few Pennants of Mike's favorite team. He deeply appreciated the artistry, rarity and magnificence of these things... as evidenced by his world-class collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ger4.jpg (36.1 KB, 416 views)
File Type: jpg Ger1.jpg (30.8 KB, 426 views)
File Type: jpg Ger2.JPG (71.3 KB, 417 views)
File Type: jpg Ger3.jpg (33.3 KB, 422 views)
File Type: jpg Tiger3.jpg (43.2 KB, 421 views)
Old 10-04-2017, 07:11 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Seems like everyone here loved him. Wish I would have had the chance to meet him. Seems like someone I would have gotten along well with.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:32 PM
Mike Kendall

Incredibly sad news for me. Mike and I corresponded as we had many similar interests. We traded some things and I will now cherish those items even more. Here is a pin I acquired from Mike which I had wanted for years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2397.jpg (74.1 KB, 420 views)
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 10-04-2017, 07:36 PM

Default Trophy

I purchased this from Mike and will remember him always because of it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1916 Ball on Bats Trophy.jpg (74.4 KB, 411 views)
Old 10-04-2017, 08:03 PM

Just a few Tigers items. RIP Mike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0999.jpg (76.3 KB, 407 views)
Old 10-04-2017, 08:09 PM

Terrific board member & I always loved his posts.
I only regret that I never had the opportunity to actually meet him.
RIP Mike
Old 10-04-2017, 11:00 PM
Ryan Sims

Thanks for setting up this wonderful tribute to our friend. So enjoyable reading everyones notes.

Great sadness was certainly felt by many when learning of our dear friend's passing.

Mike was a great man in every single sense. He inspired through numerous ways, including how selfless he was, his fighter mentality, and his love of family and friends. He was truly an authentic soul.

In April, I was diagnosed with a tough medical condition and of my entire network of friends and family, Mike was the one who seriously got me through the first stage of acceptance by mentorship, love, understanding, and his teaching of strength. He called every single morning during the first month of the diagnosis. He had access to information through his long time employer that he would send to me, call me, and decipher medical verbiage. This was while he himself was dealing with the battle of his life. There was so many text messages he sent that were positive and to the core. And he ended all our calls with "I love you".

The evidence is abundant from everyones posts of the personal relationships he forged within the hobby. He touched so many outside the hobby as well. The University of Michigan picked a great one when they asked him to speak with others whom had cancer. Mike held an intelligence level of understanding others and flexed his preferred style of communication to match others preferred style. It is why he connected with so many. A rare talent indeed.

So grateful that Mike battled hard and long enough to visit parts of the world with Jo and to give his daughter away last year in marriage. The world lost a great soul today. But without a doubt, Mike left a memorable footprint with us.

The picture I would "like" to post is "the picture" that Mike sent to me several years ago when battling his first tumor. He was on the table and they have just taken the tumor out of his knee. When he sent the pic, he provided no warning to the graphic nature of the photo. I never forgave him for this stunt. I won't post this for fear of being banned and ruining dinners. I showed Bill Rayburn the picture and think I scared him just like I was scarred.

Instead, I would like to post an item that Mike sent to my wife, unbeknownst to me. The humor (and Mike had it) is that my wife is from Germany. At several Nationals, he always referred to her as the "all american girl". Too funny. When she opened the package that he sent, we laughed our tails off. Also included is a pic from this past National. The words that Mike said when taking the picture were, "am I eye candy or what?"

Its funny, because I was not going to attend this years National. Mike was insistent that I attend. I am sooooooo dam glad that I did. Walking the rows together as with many years in the past was the highlight. On the last day, I was waiting for Mike to meet me in the lobby of the show and my Mom called to inform me that my grandmother had passed. Mike saw the look in my eyes while walking up to meet. Who better than to have the first person you see when hearing the news than Mike? The dude was an angel. It was really tough on his body in Chicago and to have the memory of being with him shopping and dining is a memory I will cherish forever.

Ode to our buddy Mike Hovet.

RIP brother. And thank you for being you.

PS - can't figure out why pics are posting sideways. Mike would laugh at this as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg All American.jpg (62.5 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg mike.jpg (66.3 KB, 297 views)

Last edited by Leon; 10-05-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:05 AM
Mike

Great thread. I never knew or had any interaction with Mike, but he seemed like he was loved here. My thoughts & prayers are with his family. May the Lord light his way into the Kingdom of Heaven.

Mike
Old 10-05-2017, 08:11 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

From the sounds of things, I wish I could be half the man that Mike was.

Tom C
Old 10-05-2017, 10:27 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundevil View Post
Thanks for setting up this wonderful tribute to our friend. So enjoyable reading everyones notes.

Great sadness was certainly felt by many when learning of our dear friend's passing.

Mike was a great man in every single sense. He inspired through numerous ways, including how selfless he was, his fighter mentality, and his love of family and friends. He was truly an authentic soul.

In April, I was diagnosed with a tough medical condition and of my entire network of friends and family, Mike was the one who seriously got me through the first stage of acceptance by mentorship, love, understanding, and his teaching of strength. He called every single morning during the first month of the diagnosis. He had access to information through his long time employer that he would send to me, call me, and decipher medical verbiage. This was while he himself was dealing with the battle of his life. There was so many text messages he sent that were positive and to the core. And he ended all our calls with "I love you".

The evidence is abundant from everyones posts of the personal relationships he forged within the hobby. He touched so many outside the hobby as well. The University of Michigan picked a great one when they asked him to speak with others whom had cancer. Mike held an intelligence level of understanding others and flexed his preferred style of communication to match others preferred style. It is why he connected with so many. A rare talent indeed.

So grateful that Mike battled hard and long enough to visit parts of the world with Jo and to give his daughter away last year in marriage. The world lost a great soul today. But without a doubt, Mike left a memorable footprint with us.

The picture I would "like" to post is "the picture" that Mike sent to me several years ago when battling his first tumor. He was on the table and they have just taken the tumor out of his knee. When he sent the pic, he provided no warning to the graphic nature of the photo. I never forgave him for this stunt. I won't post this for fear of being banned and ruining dinners. I showed Bill Rayburn the picture and think I scared him just like I was scarred.

Instead, I would like to post an item that Mike sent to my wife, unbeknownst to me. The humor (and Mike had it) is that my wife is from Germany. At several Nationals, he always referred to her as the "all american girl". Too funny. When she opened the package that he sent, we laughed our tails off. Also included is a pic from this past National. The words that Mike said when taking the picture were, "am I eye candy or what?"

Its funny, because I was not going to attend this years National. Mike was insistent that I attend. I am sooooooo dam glad that I did. Walking the rows together as with many years in the past was the highlight. On the last day, I was waiting for Mike to meet me in the lobby of the show and my Mom called to inform me that my grandmother had passed. Mike saw the look in my eyes while walking up to meet. Who better than to have the first person you see when hearing the news than Mike? The dude was an angel. It was really tough on his body in Chicago and to have the memory of being with him shopping and dining is a memory I will cherish forever.

Ode to our buddy Mike Hovet.

RIP brother. And thank you for being you.

PS - can't figure out why pics are posting sideways. Mike would laugh at this as well.
Pics posting sideways isn't always a good thing. Yes, Mike would have laughed. Fixed for ya...
Old 10-05-2017, 12:03 PM
Jim Murphy

Removed

Last edited by murphusa; 10-09-2017 at 06:25 AM.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:11 PM
Joe Gonsowski

RIP Mike! Very sad to learn of his passing, he was passionate about the hobby and life, something we can all admire.

Here is a bat he liked, circa 1886-1888 Deacon White "DETROIT" bat (from Deacon White estate).

- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 10-05-2017, 06:21 PM

Very sad to hear this. I talked to him over the years about Cubs pennant. Was a really nice and knowledgable. Wish I would have had the pleasure to meet him. I shared a Purdue and Cubs connection with him so I feel like a lost a fellow brother. RIP GOOD MAN.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:51 PM

Default See you in Heaven Mike!

photo MikeWTrClose t_zpsrpvue4cn.jpg

Here are some shots of Mike I took at Nationals...As collectors we know collecting isn't just about getting stuff...It also about the places you go and see...and the people you meet along the way...and Mike was one of the those neat people...What a pleasant positive guy he was...I can't recall when I met him here on Net54...but I came across the first mention I made of him on my site:

http://www.sportsantiques.com/05natpg4.htm
Page 4 2005 National story
I had the pleasure of finally meeting fellow collector Mike Hoevet, while I was in Kanuit’s booth, as we’d only emailed till then. Mike, who is from Ann Arbor, got a real nice paper fan from Kanuit. It had an impressionistic illustration of Honus Wagner of the Pittsburgh Pirates sliding into base, being tagged out by Chief Meyers of the New York Giants, really nice condition, 14” tall by 7” wide, paid $150.00

photo HoevetHWagnerFan_zpsjxxq9awx.jpg

It's hard to believe I had known Mike 12 years...I didn't realize that till now...seemed more like five years maybe...Over the last year I had the privilege of encouraging him in his walk with the Lord as he fought cancer. Occasionally we'd get in something about the hobby...but mostly our conversations were spiritual in nature...I wanted to make sure he knew the Lord and knew where he was going in case he didn't make it...and it paid off because he didn't make it...and he did know where he was going...

I think maybe the two things I liked best about Mike were his sense of humor...and his commitment to his family. I liked hearing how he went to his daughters track meets...things like that are the real treasures in life...not money...He was a successful account executive for a large corporation...but his really big success was he loved his family...he had way more than what many billionaires have....that was his real success..You can see from the photos he kept in good shape...worked out regularly...

By God's grace I look forward to seeing Mike in heaven when this life is over...

photo Mike and Ryan 2_zpss4zuczhe.jpg

photo TheCrewAtDinner_TAGGED_2013_zpshditdmud.jpg

photo 13 with bat 3bills T_zpsf72b4z2n.jpg

photo Mike w Trophy 11_zps3a2bekj4.jpg

photo PICT2118_900x1200_zpsrp277ggm.jpg

photo 2015_zpsmk9vvwur.jpg

photo mike amp mark 15 T_zpszsflq33c.jpg

photo 3 amigos T_zpstr1xiqtg.jpg

photo Mike and Mark1 t_zpsxd3jzmw5.png
 photo Mike and Mark2_zpsgvnduuvm.png
 photo Mike and Mark3_zpsgjhxoxeg.png

Old 10-06-2017, 06:05 AM

Nice Mike tribute, Carlton.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:10 AM
Al

Thanks Carlton.. Great Photos Thanks for sharing them....

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 10-06-2017, 07:13 AM

Great tribute all to a great guy. Carlton, those National photos are priceless. Mike will be missed by all. RIP from the "Three Bill's".
Old 10-06-2017, 01:13 PM
Clint

A couple of items Mike and I discussed before. These are the kind of items he loved. Glad he was able to get the Detroit version in his collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BE6EB5DB-4514-4EE3-AC09-288B55D752D5.jpg (12.2 KB, 169 views)
Old 10-09-2017, 06:34 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

http://tinyurl.com/2wn7w3s

Here's the link to Mike working on his memorabilia room. His posts are what inspired me to work on mine, and his taking time out to answer all of my questions were very appreciated. RIP Mike.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
http://tinyurl.com/2wn7w3s

Here's the link to Mike working on his memorabilia room. His posts are what inspired me to work on mine, and his taking time out to answer all of my questions were very appreciated. RIP Mike.
Thanks for reminding me of that thread, which illustrates Mike's enthusiasm for collecting and sharing it with all of us.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:31 AM
Brandon

I'm also saddened to hear of Mikes passing...too young. His passion was evident in his postings and he greatly influenced me when I started collecting. Heres a Kiki Cuyler glove I purchased from him years back...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cuyler glove.jpg (75.8 KB, 77 views)