NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 06-03-2014, 08:44 AM
Eric
Eric

Default 1935 National Chicle set COMPLETE

It has been a journey and it has not always been easy, but it is finished...for now. I have several upgrades i want to make, specifically Rockne, Dutch Clark, Stan Kostka, and maybe resubmit Nagurski, looks much more like a 60 than a 45 to me, but anyway, it is on the SGC registry under The Project. I at least need to upgrade a couple so I can leapfrog to #3 on the registry, but I'm not competitive...haha. Thanks for your help with this project, Jeff! Tosi graded a 3.5, but I am still happy with it! Incidently, most of my PSA crossovers were downgraded by SGC. They are harsh graders! Thanks for looking and welcome any comments. I hope to add scans, but with a young family and summertime, no telling when that will be...
Old 06-03-2014, 08:46 AM
MikeHealer

Congratulations on finishing such an iconic set.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:53 AM

Default Congrats

Congrats, Awesome set, let me know about the Isola!!
Old 06-03-2014, 03:44 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

great accomplishment !
Old 06-03-2014, 04:14 PM
Ray Novak

Default Congratulations

Congratulations on completing the set. I've been very slowly working my way through it and I know finishing is really a great achievement.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:00 PM
John

Congrats! Do you have images on the registry? If so, can you give us a link?

I could only find this: http://www.sgccardregistry.com/registry.aspx?cat=3 which shows 10 sets, but none with the name you mentioned. Thanks.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:10 PM
Carl Lamendola

Time to start on the r311 premiums... There are few tough ones. If you start today, it should take you 3-4 years to assemble the set. Always nice companion to the set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2014, 09:59 AM
Eric
Eric

Default Link

Thank you for the kind words everyone. This has been quite a task. To locate the set, go to http://www.sgccard.com/registrymain.aspx and then navigate to football sets, then select 1935 National Chicle, My set is The Project. I need to upgrade a few to get to #3...
A few highlights and lowlights of the quest for those who are interested.
Buying #3, George Kenneally, for $55 on ebay, having no clue what I was doing, as my first card. Ended up not even getting it graded as it was ridiculously miscut
Talking my wife into letting me get Bronko as my "year-end bonus" at work. I am self-employed so this is quite amusing
Getting hooked up with this message board and meeting Jeff. I think I bought at least ten from him. Thanks Jeff!
Buying 7 cards from an auction house including an amazing Rockne.(turned out to be trimmed and that is why it was amazing!)
2 submissions to SGC, both with heartache over trimmed cards.
Scanning every possible available website at least weekly looking for those elusive high numbers.
Thinking I was done when i bought Tosi from Jeff and had it crossed over from PSA to SGC.
Buying #16 Ben Smith to finish my set from America's pasttime. Give him a look at www.americaspastime.com if you need any Chicles
And the decision to go SGC instead of PSA. Really a simply esthetic decision for me. I like the black frames on the holders. For the smaller cards, they frame it beautifully.
I am going to try to load scans, but it is summer time and my family is young and busy and it may take awhile.
Thanks again for the kind words. Next for me I think is 1965 topps football. I am going to try to find a SGC 60 or 80 Namath and then do the rest raw.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:19 PM
John

Thanks for the link - I had no idea about the SCG registry - I'm collecting the set in PSA holders.

Thanks for sharing the highlights/lowlights - that's one of my favorite posts now. I can relate.

Finally, I definitely recommend adding images to the registry - even if no one else looks (which we will if you update us), I like having a place to look at my own cards.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:50 PM
Tim C

Congratulations on completing the set, quite an accomplishment and something I would like to eventually do.

How long did it take you to complete this?

Tim
Old 06-04-2014, 03:54 PM
Jeff P

Congrats, Eric and glad I could help! It's a major accomplishment to finish that set so you should be really proud. Did you submit graded PSA cards to SGC? General consensus out there seems to be that if you want to cross TPG's and not get hosed you should crack them out and submit them ungraded. The grading companies won't admit it but they often grade each others cards harder than they do raw ones.

I can't wait to hear about your next football card endeavor.

jeff
Old 06-07-2014, 11:29 AM

congrats Eric!

quite an accomplishment!!!
Old 06-07-2014, 12:21 PM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
Congrats, Eric and glad I could help! It's a major accomplishment to finish that set so you should be really proud. Did you submit graded PSA cards to SGC? General consensus out there seems to be that if you want to cross TPG's and not get hosed you should crack them out and submit them ungraded. The grading companies won't admit it but they often grade each others cards harder than they do raw ones.

I can't wait to hear about your next football card endeavor.

jeff
I am starting to really believe this. Very few crossovers got the same grade and none were improved. I am not skilled in cracking cards out and I am concerned about damaging the cards. Maybe it isn't that hard? Not sure. Anyway, glad the set is completed. Next up, 1965 topps. I need a Namath in a SGC 5 or 6 and same for Biletnikoff and Kemp and rest will be raw. Need an easier project this time. Have my eye on a Namath, but will see. I have my eye on a lot of cards... Jim Brown 1958, Bednarik1948, Unitas 1957, you know, all the easy ones

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and for the advice and help with cards. This is a great community to belong to. And it is a great HOBBY!
Old 06-07-2014, 01:19 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Yep..the Unitas RC was one of my first football RC's..beside the Namath RC and a few others like Walter Peyton and Joe Montana.
I also added the Bradshaw and Joe Green RC's.
Our fellow board member (Blackie) did the 65 tall-boy project for his daughter Ruthie recently and think he submitted them to SGC. He may give you some insight in the search for 65's

I sent my Namtah to SGC and they were harsh on it..it graded a sgc 30/2 but looks awesome in the holder. Also note: there is a butterfly tatoo hand version as well.

I know Hunt auctions does have those 65 cards in 'raw' form, i run across then here and there.