NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-27-2012, 10:34 AM

Default Those doggone master set collectors :-)

A lot of collectors feel that one reason for the shrinking supply of certain card issues (particularly caramels) can be attributed to master card collectors. I plead guilty, having pursued for years a master E94 set, the 6 (or 7 if you count the rare oranges) different background colors for each player. I know Tim K. is going after the E98 master set (4 background colors of each player). I was just wondering how many other collectors are pursuing master sets. I recall reading a post a couple of years ago about a collector on this board who was going after a master set of T207s with Broadleaf, Cycle and Anonymous backs of all the "tough" series cards, and of course I have read about the T206 collectors trying to complete "back" series sets, but just curious who all is working on these challenging (and often hair-pulling) adventures.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:51 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Tbob,

I think this is one of the reasons the T206's have been really strong as of late there are a few guys with significant funds going after master sets. I think its cool a bit futile as it most likely can never be done even with unlimited money but very cool nonetheless. Only problem is certain cards will see some serious bumps and if you want them you’re going to have to pony up and duke it out.

Cheers,

John
Old 01-27-2012, 11:21 AM
BRIAN C0ATS

Default Guilty

My quest was not as glamorous as any of the Master sets you described but I did finally complete my master set of 1941 Goudey baseball cards last year. The goal was to collect all 33 cards in each of the 4 different background colors. By doing so I have personally taken 4 sets out of circulation in order to complete the effort. For some bizarre reason I also find it nearly as addictive as T206's. When I finished this first master set I realized that through upgrades and lot purchases over the years I was within 20 cards of a second master set. So, now I hope that in the next couple of years that I will have taken 8 1941 Goudey sets out of circulation as I finish this second Master set.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

I'm going after an e98 Master set - Commons only. But so far, that's removed about 28-30 e98s from the market....

I think Peter Costanzo might be going after an e98 full set as well.

Aside from e98s, I'm half-heartedly collecting e90-3s and w590s as well as trying to snag some of those variations along the way that both of those sets have to offer. The e103 set is probably my favorite and I have quite a few dupes lying around from that issue. These four sets are probably the only ones I'm collecting "extras" of (as in, beyond the "base" set) though out of my 12-15 "projects"...heh!

Bob, on those e94s, if you count the Oranges, you have to count the "silverbacks" so that would bring that total to 8 colors.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:53 AM
Scott

Default e90-1

been after the e90-1 set for a while now..

i think i have most true rarities, now only need to pull the trigger on some "available rarities" (joe jackson/ m mitchell)

anyone else woroking on this very interesting set.....

still much to be discovered about this set ...
Old 01-27-2012, 12:56 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I've tried for a few strip and Exhibit sets with every variation, but not to any real extent. I am prone to purchasing all variations of a particular card in an issue with variations that I find intriguing.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-27-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:09 PM
pete ullman

Ive been going after a "master" set of 1 player from e98/e94 for a few years now and am having a hard enough time with that!
Old 01-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Ive been going after a "master" set of 1 player from e98/e94 for a few years now and am having a hard enough time with that!
peter are you still working on E90-1?
Old 01-27-2012, 04:07 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default E90-1 set

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFandango View Post
been after the e90-1 set for a while now..

i think i have most true rarities, now only need to pull the trigger on some "available rarities" (joe jackson/ m mitchell)

anyone else woroking on this very interesting set.....
still much to be discovered about this set ...
Hi Scott

I put together a 120-card E90-1 set in the 1980-90's when it was affordable. To get $$$$$ for a new adventure, I sold this set to Mike Wheat in 1998 at the
Ft. Washington show. In hindsight, I regret not keeping it. The Joe Jax was a nice Vg-Ex card and the Mike Mitchell was Ex. Overall, the set averaged Vg-Ex.
Anyhow, I was very happy with the deal at that time, and so was Mike.

Although it's low a priority endeavor, in recent years, I have been re-collecting E90's again. Here are some of my toughies, I'm not too picky this go around......

[/IMG]

Good Luck on your E90 endeavor,

TED Z
Old 01-27-2012, 05:53 PM
Pete Costanzo

Default E98 Master set

Brian, great cards on the last E98 thread, especially the Coombs! I am trying for the master set. So far I have 77 total, which includes 31 commons. Bob you're right, this has accounted for many drying up. The only other master sets I've been trying to pick up are the player sets in E94's of Cobb & Wagner.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:08 PM
pete ullman

I have a handful of e90-1's...but have never considered going for the set...im currently 3 cards from completing e94.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:31 PM

Default Guilty!

Yes , we Master Set collectors ceratinly do help sellers of specific cards get much healthier prices for their cards. It is amazing to see certain player/color combinations go for low prices, then see the same player with a different color combination go for an astronomical amount. Speaking specifically of E98s, Pete and I have about 200 of the total population among the two of us, but set collecting is what drives people like us I guess. This hobby is so interesting and enjoyable because each of us collects for a specific reason or purpose such as a Master Set, Type Set, etc. I've also met alot of new aquaintences that I consider friends because of my endevours over the years.
Speaking for myself, I wanted to set a goal for myself that was difficult and challenging, yet someday reachable. I'm not a condition person mainly because of my budget, I just want presentable cards. The E98 Master Set has met these criteria for me. I know that within the next few years, I will be able to reach it. I can't fool myself though. I am still a long ways away with it even though I only need 14 cards to complete it. Unfortunately, 2 of those are Cobbs, 2 are Youngs, 1 is a Mack, and 1 is a Wagner...all really expensive cards! But this is where the fun of it is, and the exhileration that comes with each new adddition to the set.
I do think that when I reach my goal it will be quite an accomplishement, but it doesn't come close to those like Bob who have a Master E94 (Well almost)set or anyone who has defeated the Monster in my opinioin.
Happy Collecting!
Tim Kindler

Oh, Now a Set of OLD PUT Backs would really be something
Old 01-27-2012, 11:56 PM
Archive

tbob

You are correct is stating that it can be hair pulling. I'm currently working on a basic T206 set and building a back set at the same time. I know for a fact that someone else in the collecting community is either building the same back set or stockpiling waiting for a price increase to occur.

Last year at the National, I was systematically working the show floor searching for T206s with this certain back. All was going well until the third day. It seemed like every dealer in the back half of the show floor had almost the same answer which was that some guy had bought every T206 they had with that back. So its becoming a slow grinding process for me.

Jantz
Old 01-28-2012, 06:00 AM
Scott

Default Ted

Nice HOFs. The Wagner throwing is very bright image..did you get the Nagy all at once? Are you trying for the entire set? Have you heard of the shaded reverse border cards?

What set is McGraw from?
Old 01-28-2012, 07:52 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Scott

The pink McGraw is my blue CROFTS type card.

I acquired quite a few of the Frank Nagy tougher E90 cards about 5-6 years ago. Including a really nice Duffy "toughie". I rate the Duffy card as one of the
toughest in this set....along with Speaker, and the other six (or so) usual suspects.

We should probably start a new thread on this set....which also includes the E90-2 & E90-3 sets.

TED Z