NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-06-2008, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Default Yet another NY Dinner.....please come if you would like to..Feb 15th-16th...

Posted By: leon

Hey Folks,
I am coming into NY in 2 Fridays, on Feb 15. Barry and I are thinking about trying to get some folks together for a dinner. Even though Brooklyn would be better for Barry and 1-2 others we are going to do it in Manhatten. We are tentatively looking at Saturday the 16th to have the dinner. Since I won't get in until 3:15pm we feel it might be a stretch to get it done on Friday (but we can still discuss). I will buy Dinner, taken from the beloved Net54 banner monies, for all that attend but you have to run your own alcohol drink tabs. (I am dumb but not real dumb ) ....... If no one else joins us then we will do one closer to Brooklyn..... A nice quiet dinner with Barry would be nice but it would be great to meet a few other Net 54'ers too.....thanks again....

Old 02-06-2008, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Default Yet another NY Dinner.....please come if you would like to..Feb 15th-16th...

Posted By: Martin Neal

Leon,
When are you coming to D.C.?

Old 02-06-2008, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Same question with emphasis: When the hell are you coming to Washington, DC ??????

Alan

Old 02-06-2008, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John

I think Leon is planning on coming to Washington…hence the reason he began to sell some of his 19th century cards. I think it’s obvious he’s financing his campaign and making a play for the White House, I can only imagine what bills he puts before Congress regarding our cards.

Leon as for dinner that may work for me I have to be in NY all the following week it would be nice to meet you, a few days early won’t kill me, heck I’ll even buy your drinks!

Old 02-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

I want a tour T-shirt!

Oh, and count me in for the dinner.

I am marking it my calendar now.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Let me add that Leon will be staying with Judy and I that weekend in Brooklyn and we even talked about doing it in Cobble Hill/Brooklyn Heights on Friday night, which might be an easier day for some. However, Leon's plane is due in around 3:00-3:30, and he wouldn't get into Brooklyn until after 4:00 even if he were on time. If there's a weather delay, he could be really late (but I told him I'll save him a doggie-bag ). So Friday isn't impossible but we could run into logistical problems.

Anyway, everyone is invited to either night, we're flexible, and let's just see what people think. But no 200 post thread here.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Hmmmm do I hear a Vice President Sloate here....my thoughts are correct Leon is making a run for the White House.

Now we just need a campaign slogan!

How about…“These pretzels are making me thirsty!”

Old 02-06-2008, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Corey R. Shanus

Do we want it Friday night or Saturday night, formal or casual, expensive or cheap, early or late, in Manhattan or Brooklyn? I vote we vote on each of these issues.....

Old 02-06-2008, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony N.

And in the new Luckey/Sloate White House "don't ask, don't tell" would be replaced by "not that there is anything wrong with that".

Old 02-06-2008, 10:39 AM
Administrator

It very well might be Luckey/Sloate.....but I doubt it would be for president. Maybe for a cab ride but not much else. If I do run maybe my slogan will be "Vote for Luckey.....with less overhead, and billions in banner ad money, he can balance the National Budget" Or I could run on "Outlaw Cockfights in all 50 states!!!"

Old 02-06-2008, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

I'm starting a trial on Feb 11 which is running 5 days a week; therefore, Saturday night in Manhattan would be best for me as time will be pretty tight once things start. Any chance for a steak venue in midtown Saturday night?

Old 02-06-2008, 10:42 AM
Administrator

We now have 10 posts without a single "I will attend." Leon- looks like we'll be dining for two.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Those are really easy questions except which night...

"Do we want it Friday night or Saturday night, formal or casual, expensive or cheap, early or late, in Manhattan or Brooklyn? I vote we vote on each of these issues....."

Friday or Saturday- open
Casual or Formal- Casual....I won't have anything formal
Expensive or cheap- I am Jewish cheap.... (that's a joke please don't freak out)
early or late- Early......25 years ago it would have been different
Manhatten or Brooklyn- Folks can more easily get to Manhatten so that is what it is....

See, that was easy....Hope you can attend....

Old 02-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Jeff- how about something a little less pricey? I actually thought Morton's was awful- Luger's makes them look like they don't even know how to cook steak, so I vote for something else (but I'll listen).

Old 02-06-2008, 10:47 AM
Administrator

"We now have 10 posts without a single "I will attend." Leon- looks like we'll be dining for two."

check my earlier post.

and how the heck do you let Leon spell Manhattan with an 'e' ?

Old 02-06-2008, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Sorry Joe, you're right. Too many wise guys threw me off.

And I chastised Leon about his spelling of "Manhattan." As a result, Friday night he will be sleeping across the street in the park. Saturday night we will let him back into the apartment.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Yeah, Barry should I take a hint too, I said I was in....LOL

It's all because you owe me a dollar huh Randall Duke??

Old 02-06-2008, 10:57 AM
Administrator

John- you will be getting a nice crisp dollar from me, I haven't forgotten...ruined my life for a buck!

Old 02-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Spelling Manhattan is sort of like the English language to me.....I just make it up as I go....(my wife the English major would be all over me....which could be nice but that's another topic).....

Old 02-06-2008, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

You guys should just go here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c6TyExac28

Old 02-06-2008, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Okay- at this juncture it appears that John, Jeff, and Joe D. would like to join us that night. I would like to suggest a moderately priced restaurant, not a place like Morton's. I think that was really bad news.

We haven't heard from Michael yet, who knows every eatery and watering hole in Manhattan, so perhaps he can come up with something interesting (and of course join us). In the meantime everyone else is welcome to come too. It looks like it will be Saturday, Feb 16.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Guys, just give me a number of people who will attend and I'll find a place. My case is heating up and time is just really tight but I definitely will attend as I need to show Leon off to some other people as they have heard -- but no one has actually seen -- a Jew from Texas.

I agree re Morton's, Barry; I'll find a better, less pricey place.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Thanks Jeff, I appreciate your effort, and know how busy you are. Right now we don't have a head count, but I would guess around 6-8 people.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

I'M IN!

i also vote for a steak house in Manhattan...

i'll think of some options, but in the mean time, i know Jeff will pick a great one...

will be fun.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Michael- no crappy steakhouses that charge and arm and a leg and then serve you a mediocre piece of steak. I can get a better steak than Morton's from my local butcher. If it's expensive it's got to be something good. If only we could get into Luger's- but for a Saturday night you need to make a reservation about a year and a half in advance.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenneth A. Cohen

"... no one has actually seen -- a Jew from Texas."

The parallel is striking - a purported run for political office. Is Leon following in the footsteps of his co-religionist and fellow Texen - Kinky Friedman?

Old 02-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Remember his band- Kinky Friedman and the Texas Jewboys? They were actually very good.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenneth A. Cohen

And how! I saw them play at a now defunct club, the Cellar Door in Georgetown (DC), sometime in the 70s. I remember him singing "Get Your Biscuits in the Oven and Your Buns in Bed." A true original!

Old 02-06-2008, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Jeff- if you are picking a steak house please remember my "food eating" motto:

Quantity over Quality ......I didn't get my fine physique by eating rabbit food....or small quantities...

Old 02-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Leon, we have a conundrum I suppose now. Have you seen Barry's waist? It's like 27 inches. He eats bark and berries. And bird seed. We may have to find a happy medium.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:19 PM
Administrator

He can have my scraps.....

Old 02-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Hey Leon,any time you want to have a net54 meet and greet at the Jersey shore just let me know because I work at a restaurant and anyone who attends can pay their bill in vintage cards....thats no joke!

Old 02-06-2008, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: george "bulldog" adams

hey leon you got to check out a fine establishmet up in times sq its called runway69 i don`t know if its still their haven`t been to the city since late 90s hot blond bitches big jugs make sure you get the private dance its an experience you will never forget have fun bro and stay classy. bulldog

Old 02-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Jeff- I have a pretty good appetite for a small guy...but I like to pace myself.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Just to throw out an idea...anyone up for the Peking Duck House on Mott Street? Haven't been there in a long time, but it could be pretty crowded on a Saturday night. I know it may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

"Beavis & "Butthead", you said "doing it".

Old 02-06-2008, 06:32 PM
Administrator

barry- i doubt we can get the majority of the guys to go for peking duck on mott st.

if jeff doesn't pick a place, i'll do it...give me a day or so to think about just the right place.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Dorskind

We would be interested in attending on Friday evening.

We should a venue which is elegant, understand and relatively quiet.

One where the food has been rated highly in Zagats and one
which discourages the " tourist crowd."

There are a cadre of elegant, relatively quiet restaurants
in the east 20s and upper East Side.

A review of the 2008 Zagats should provide a sufficient
list of viable alternatives.

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List

Old 02-06-2008, 11:54 PM
Administrator

I've heard nothing but good things about this place from Barry and Jeff L, Mike says you can even win prizes!

I'm sure it has been reviewed by Zagats at one time or another and should be very quiet.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: DMcD

"We should a venue which is elegant, understand and relatively quiet." And a plethora of hot blond bitches.

You guys crack me up.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Bruce and Leon at the same dinner!!!!

I am cancelling my 3-day Bermuda weekend.

Count me in--with such luminaries attending this has got to be a top of the line restaurant.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:13 AM
Administrator

John- I went to Chuck E. Cheese once with my nephews and my head exploded. It has become my metaphor for the world coming to an end.

Bruce- you are welcome to join us but Leon gets in late Friday and if his plane is delayed we would not be able to get to a dinner in time. And I don't think upper east side elegant is the way we will go. We are doing this dinner in Leon's honor and he is more a "scrapple from the apple" kind of guy. Elegant might not cut it with this rough and tumble group.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

I think its a Le Cirque crowd--especially if Leon brings his bud Doug to dinner.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:31 AM
Administrator

I think chili cheese dogs from a street vendor might work.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:19 AM
Administrator

lets see.....

-- a hobby that has me flowing money at it,
-- this board which I spend much time at,
-- the upcoming national trip.....
and now I say to my wife
-- "Do we have any plans on the 16th of February? The guys want to get together for a NY Dinner."
some silence as I realize that is Valentines weekend.

Oh - I am still in for the NY Dinner.

(its just gonna cost me )

Old 02-07-2008, 05:34 AM
Administrator

joe- i'm not even married, and i know how to handle this one...

"honey, i have to work at the print shop saturday late afternoon, we have a huge job to get out, and it might go into late evening, sorry babe, hope you understand."

i will think of venues today.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:37 AM
Administrator

As long as wherever I go I can wear a T-shirt and shorts then I am all for elegant....but seriously, a nice middle of the road steak would be great....I do agree with Bruce on less "touristy".....As the organizer of several large dinners I think the main thing is someplace that is QUIET so we can chat and hear each other. It's more about the company we keep that evening than the food we eat. (did I say that?)......Yelling into someone's ear and having them barely hear you is not a good thing when trying to have a friendly conversation.....best regards

Old 02-07-2008, 05:55 AM
Administrator

that plan won't work....

so now I am looking up family vacations in cabo

Old 02-07-2008, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Leon- we've already had about half a dozen Net54 dinners and unfortunately none of them have been at a quiet venue. It would be nice to be able to converse with somebody at the other end of the table but that has been impossible. Let's see if we can come up with something a little different this time.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:35 AM
Administrator

(i've suggested this before - but here goes again)

it is a steakhouse.... with a fixed $ cost..... all you can eat (great for Leon's appetite) -
and although I have only gone once - I don't remember it being too noisy for our purposes....
at the very least it isn't any noisier than other places we have gone.

If it is chosen.... I would suggest everybody skips lunch - because you can eat a sick amount of food at this place....
http://www.porcaous.com/newyork.html