NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-06-2023, 05:49 AM
CJ

Default Recommendations for storage? Photos, Panoramic Photo, and a wooden item.

Hey everyone, I have a few photos that I believe are valuable, and I really want to make sure that I take care of them while they're in my possession. I don't necessarily want to break the bank, because I may consign or sell the things in the next few months. But, I want to keep it all as safe as possible.

The photos came to me in freaking ziplock bags, and I know that isn't great. I want to get them properly protected and possibly bring them to a safety deposit box while I figure out what to do with them.

I know that I should buy something acid and pvc free.

I was originally going to get an acid free sleeve that would be for art prints, and then put that in a larger semi-rigid top loader that was made of pvc. Would that be bad?

Should I get mylar, or something extra professional from a place like Gaylord instead?

I'm also slightly concerned about the matting being acidic. A few were matted professionally in the 30s. (Date is present on the matte.) I won't try to remove matting myself obviously.

-

I also have a large 40" panoramic photo that I'm unsure of how to protect. It has been matted, but is not in a frame. Currently, it's wrapped in tissue paper, inside of the bubble wrap and cardboard box it was shipped in.

-

I also have a wooden item to keep safe. It is also in bubble wrap, inside of the shipping box.

-

I was going to get some acid free tissue paper for those two items. But other than that, any product suggestions or tips for me?

Appreciate any help.
Old 10-06-2023, 06:31 AM
James M.

While I am FAR from an expert (and feel free to wait for one of their opinions), the general consensus seems to be Mylar for the best possible protection.

Additionally, you could always send them in for grading, as that is a good form of protection. I'd also recommend getting some form of insurance, if you truly think they are that valuable.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 10-06-2023, 09:19 AM
Steve Birmingham

Aside from the expense, you can't go wrong with Mylar.

Most of what I have is inexpensive, so photo sized mylar sleeves weren't the best financial choice.
I've gone with Comic book sleeves and acid free backing boards.

Panoramics are a bit tougher.

The wood item really depends on what it is. Bats have a few good options, like bat tubes. I have a couple in those, and some not, all in a plastic tote made for long stuff like wrapping paper rolls.

Something fragile might do well in the same sort of container, with some good wrapping. Bubble wrap, and filling large bits of excess space with empty baseball card boxes might be the cheapest. (Card boxes have gotten expensive! That space can also be filled with used priority mail boxes, especially the small bok sized ones. (It's technically not legal to use brand new ones, but they give them out free at the post office. )
Old 10-06-2023, 10:10 AM

Good morning. You might want to check out the site, Bags Unlimited. They sell a wide selection of items to store your photos. Top loaders up to gigantic size. I've purchased several items from them in the past and have been very satisfied.

Post a few pics of the pics please.
Old 10-06-2023, 11:57 AM
Doug Goodman

I have pretty much every flat paper item I own in Itoya profolios...

https://itoya.com/products/presentat...-art-profolio/
Old 10-07-2023, 10:13 AM
Andrew Aronstein

I order my archival quality boxes and other supplies from these sites:

https://www.universityproducts.com
https://www.talasonline.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2023, 01:45 PM
Mic.hael Mu.mby

Default protecting photos

To expand upon what Andy just said, the Tala "L" elope mylars are perfect in that you can slide a photo in without jiggling it around, avoiding creasing the image or putting a gouge in a corner.
This was passed along to me by a photo guy far wiser than I.

lumberjack
Old 10-08-2023, 08:58 AM
CJ

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'll do some more digging before I pull the trigger on some stuff.

I will definitely make another post to show the pieces once I get them settled in.

And to Seven, I had started looking into insurance before I posted. But, thanks for that as well.