NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 08-15-2018, 10:55 AM
John

Bump

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2018, 01:00 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
I actually appreciated watching him execute the forgeries.

For anyone who has wondered what "deliberate and drawn" means, there ya go.
That was the part of the video that I found to be the most educational. Watching him sign 'Babe Ruth' and seeing the wavering results - just the final stroke of the 'R' was enough, but these balls still show up in the major auction houses repeatedly, with all the characteristics of a 'deliberate and drawn' autograph.

I don't know modern Mantles or Williams', but the 'B' in Ruth is horrible and the Gehrigs are also horrible. I have never understood why anyone bought either of these forgeries. The shellacked balls are equally horrible.

Last edited by Runscott; 08-15-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:19 PM
Manny
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Just keep at it. Someone will listen. I believe that recently many FBI agents have probably been assigned to the Las Vegas shooting nightmare. Unfortunately for us collectors there are more important things in life than a fake autograph or card. We can only hope that our few FBI Agents, who do work in our area, are able to convince agents in other regions to take these hobby cases. I don't think that is an easy task, quite honestly.
Operation Bullpen was a success because of the immense amount of coordination and resources that were expended by law enforcement. Despite all of that, it all hinged on the confidential informants that wore wires and were able to catch the forgers discussing the crime on tape. Had there been no informants and no tapes, they might have walked.

Forgery of sports memorabilia is one of the more difficult criminal cases to prosecute, because autographs can never be authenticated with 100% certainty. Everything is an opinion. Yet, criminal cases are subject to the highest evidentiary burden. It has to be "beyond a reasonable doubt." Being 99% sure someone forged autographs isn't good enough.

These cases drain a lot of resources because of this.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:45 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Beyond Reasonable Doubt Percent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetBuilder View Post
Operation Bullpen was a success because of the immense amount of coordination and resources that were expended by law enforcement. Despite all of that, it all hinged on the confidential informants that wore wires and were able to catch the forgers discussing the crime on tape. Had there been no informants and no tapes, they might have walked.

Forgery of sports memorabilia is one of the more difficult criminal cases to prosecute, because autographs can never be authenticated with 100% certainty. Everything is an opinion. Yet, criminal cases are subject to the highest evidentiary burden. It has to be "beyond a reasonable doubt." Being 99% sure someone forged autographs isn't good enough.
Beyond a reasonable doubt-

I don't know about that but maybe a board lawyer will know. According to Google 98%-99% is good....

Whereas, in a civil trial, a party may prevail with as little as 51 percent probability (a preponderance), those legal authorities who venture to assign a numerical value to “beyond a reasonable doubt” place it in the certainty range of 98 or 99 percent.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:38 PM
Manny
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Beyond a reasonable doubt-

I don't know about that but maybe a board lawyer will know. According to Google 98%-99% is good....

Whereas, in a civil trial, a party may prevail with as little as 51 percent probability (a preponderance), those legal authorities who venture to assign a numerical value to “beyond a reasonable doubt” place it in the certainty range of 98 or 99 percent.

Probably if they have a mountain of circumstantial evidence, I can see that being good enough for a jury. Also depends on how good the defense lawyers are (vs. just a public defender). From the perspective of the prosecutor, they want to be as close to 100% sure before they bring the case, to avoid flushing time and resources down the drain.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
Kind of amazing how good he was.
How good he was? He sucked. Only the uneducated were fooled by his crap.
(Of course there are sh*tloads of uneducated walking around,)
Old 08-16-2018, 06:22 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
+1
Old 08-18-2018, 07:36 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
+2
Old 08-18-2018, 07:54 AM
Chris

Quote:
Probably if they have a mountain of circumstantial evidence, I can see that being good enough for a jury. Also depends on how good the defense lawyers are (vs. just a public defender). From the perspective of the prosecutor, they want to be as close to 100% sure before they bring the case, to avoid flushing time and resources down the drain.
The "just a public defender" comment is absurd. Some of the best and brightest criminal defense attorneys are public defenders.

- a former, private criminal defense attorney

Last edited by Bestdj777; 08-18-2018 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:08 AM
Belltown Vintage

I was discussing the green 27 Yankees forged ball with my gf and she was confused as to why anyone would buy something like that, given the expert resources on this forum.

The people who buy that stuff don't come here. The letters are enough for them.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:43 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
The "just a public defender" comment is absurd. Some of the best and brightest criminal defense attorneys are public defenders.

Sorry to disagree with you counselor. If you use a public defender....You are a MORON
Old 08-23-2018, 11:41 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Great video...I remember exchanging emails and eventually purchasing some authentic items from the undercover agent in this case (John Ferreira) after he retired and opened his own shop up in Oregon.

I decided to look him up after watching the video as it's been several years since we last spoke and was saddened to learn he passed away in February. I wanted to pass this along in case anyone else spoke or bought from John. He was a great man and did a ton for the hobby.

http://www.nmplimited.com/obituaries...A?obId=2978288
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 08-23-2018, 12:47 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:

When you get to a court case, you can do such things as ink chemicals identification and dating that can scientifically and definitively prove forgery, but that are not done in normal hobby examination because of the time/cost.

It's worthy to side note that science is excellent at forgery detection, but has limits in authentication. For example, if the canvas and paint is scientifically shown to be from the 1900s, that in and of itself proves the Rembrandt painting is a fake. However, if the canvas and paint are shown to be from the correct period, that is important if not essential evidence but not proof in and of itself that the painting was by Rembrandt.

Last edited by drcy; 08-23-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:30 PM
Bob Davies

I think what you are saying is, it's easier to prove something is not real than it is to prove something is real.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:56 PM
Manny
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
When you get to a court case, you can do such things as ink chemicals identification and dating that can scientifically and definitively prove forgery, but that are not done in normal hobby examination because of the time/cost.

It's worthy to side note that science is excellent at forgery detection, but has limits in authentication. For example, if the canvas and paint is scientifically shown to be from the 1900s, that in and of itself proves the Rembrandt painting is a fake. However, if the canvas and paint are shown to be from the correct period, that is important if not essential evidence but not proof in and of itself that the painting was by Rembrandt.
Even with all that, how do you prove intent? Assuming there is no smoking gun?
Old 08-23-2018, 01:58 PM
Manny
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post

I didn't mean to say that public defenders are bad lawyers. The problem with PD's is that their case loads are very large relative to their low pay and they don't have time to focus on each case fully compared to a private lawyer.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:30 AM
R@nda!! H@hn

I was collecting McGwire for several years before Operation Bullpen started. I managed to get "hired" by several auction houses after the story broke to check out their McGwire signatures. What amazed me in the video is that while he was pretty good at forging a lot of different players, his McGwire was so bad I thought anyone could see it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg badmac.jpg (43.3 KB, 129 views)

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears

Last edited by mcgwirecom; 08-28-2018 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:51 AM
Christopher Williams

My favorite autograph in my collection.

A copy of the book Operation Bullpen signed by Tim Fitzsimmons.

TimFitzSignedOpBullpen-1.jpg
Old 08-28-2018, 08:21 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
My favorite autograph in my collection.

A copy of the book Operation Bullpen signed by Tim Fitzsimmons.

Attachment 326947

Very nice my friend, very nice.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 08-28-2018, 05:28 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Very nice my friend, very nice.
Thank you, Richard.