NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-06-2006, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Default OT-losing Big Ramin.

Posted By: Dan Koteles

EVen though I had gotten monies out to 4 or 5 people for cards,
today was not my day ,i had to put my dog to sleep, my Big-Rae.

I was distraught ,disfunctional and just out there all day. She
was 15 yrs old and my pal. While she had hip problems for some-time ,i had to hold on as my other dog (Snoop -Yodi)passed 2 mos ago, unexpectedly. These 2 dogs were a litter apart....Yodi
being the younger ,I had for 14yrs.

2 days ago ,she had Prime-rib, yesterday lots of chicken and a
nice Turkey meal today w/redskins. It sure is hard to take a
family part of you down. The emptiness ,the final look into their eyes ,knowing it's over. I didnt like today.

If I could find a way, I would like to be happy like dogs are
all the time. No matter what, their tails are always wagging. I
would like my tail to wag like that. DOgs act everyday ,like we
seem to act only at Christmas time. It is good to be joyous
more often.

Doggone dogs ,them !

Old 09-06-2006, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Pomilla

Heartfelt condolences, Dan. I have, through the years, suffered the loss of loved pets and it always hurts, big time.

Old 09-06-2006, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

sorry for your loss(es) dan...I feel for you. and I agree that I wish I were more like a dog...then again if I just ate and slept all day I'd be pretty damn happy too!

pete in mn

Old 09-06-2006, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

There's really not much that anyone can say. Losing a dog is like losing a family member. I've had plenty of pet dogs over the years. The one that I remember most is one that I had to put down when he was 16 years old. That was tough. It was just his time. If I didn't put the dog down he'd have been miserable. It was really one of the tougher things to do but considering the alternative I knew it was the right thing to do. One nice thing about dogs is that they understand our joy when we look at our cards. When we smile, the dog knows it must be a cool card.

Old 09-06-2006, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

It is such a big important part of you that is gone. Well over a decade of a relationship where everything you did was a wonderment. So wise, so secure you made them feel; they knew that they could never repay you, but they did every day. Im sorry for your loss.

Old 09-06-2006, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Evanov

Sorry for your loss. My cat, Dr. Lucky, was with me for 18 years, the last 10 on insulin shots daily despite the vet's advice that I put him down at age 8 when he developed diabetes. He was happy to the end; never minded the shots. I console myself by thinking of the great life he had.

Frank

Old 09-06-2006, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Clarke

Sorry to hear about your loss Dan. I'm in the same boat as you pretty soon. Turbo our 14 year old dog (middle dog in photo) has only a couple of weeks maybe months left to live and we are already getting prepared. When we lost one of our other whippets 8 years ago, all Tammy and I did was sleep and cry in bed all day long...

JC

Old 09-06-2006, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

Dan, you are alright in my books for showing the compassion during the grieving process to bring it to the attention of the board. I truly feel for your situation as a dog lover. All dogs want in this world is to trade their love for a fine life and are amazingly loyal, something you can't say about many people. My condolences to you during this tough emotional time.

DJ

Old 09-06-2006, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

Dan, it's a hard time right now. I had Sundae the Mom, and Vanessa and Pandora from her litter, all Labradors. They all lived about 12-14 years, not long enough. Have no dogs at this time though.

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 09-06-2006, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

above. I'd never had a dog until about 3 years ago and we now have a 12 pound mini schnauzer. We hope we have a lot of time left but it will be a VERY difficult day when something happens to her. My folks are still mourning the loss of a cat from a couple years ago. Tough breaks but you can't have them linger on and suffer. Days like today cards don't really mean a lot.........

Old 09-06-2006, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

That really sucks. I'm so sorry.

Old 09-06-2006, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jackgoodman

It will get easier. You'll never forget, but the pain does recede some.

When one of our dogs died during surgery several years ago, I made myself a promise that when the time came and I was able, I would always be there with them at the end. Our oldest dog came down with diabetes about 3 years ago and it caused her to go blind and deaf. So I got pretty good at doing the insulin shots twice a day too. About a year ago, other body functions started to go and we knew it was time. I find comfort in the fact that she literally put her head down and went to sleep. No quivering, no convulsions, no pain. The drive home alone was tough.

Again, my thoughts are with you.

Old 09-06-2006, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

As expressed on the phone a while ago....my sympathies...I get all teary eyed thinking about it...only a human family member would be worse, imho......warm regards

Old 09-06-2006, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

that sucks. I still vividly and sadly remember the day my childhood dog died and that was in 1986. Our cat is 15, mostly deaf and a bit senile; we await that sad day too. feel better.

Old 09-06-2006, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MikeB

Dan,
I am sorry to hear about your loss. I think I am one of a few veterinarians on this forum.
I realize that your decision today was difficult, but one that a caring owner must sometimes
make. I know you did not want to see your pet in pain. I honestly don't think the euthanasia is painful to them, although I know it was painful for you. Try to take comfort in knowing that she is at peace.

Sincerely,
Mike

Old 09-07-2006, 05:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

My condolences too Dan. I'm an animal lover and when we had to put our last cat down it was devastating. Frank, I also had to give my cat insulin shots twice a day for the last two years of his life. He became so used to them that when it was time he would tilt his head down and accept them gracefully. It amazed me as I expected he would fight me tooth and nail. JC- beautiful dogs and I know you have a difficult decision to make, but you know when they are in pain and it is time. Life can be cruel.

Old 09-07-2006, 06:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

dan,
my condolences to you and your family. loosing a pet is very hard....i only wish you the best.
best regards
andy becker

Old 09-07-2006, 06:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

My Jessie is the best friend I share most of my time with. I'm sorry Dan.

Old 09-07-2006, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

Dan,

Sorry to hear about your loss. Pets become parts of our families and their loss, as others have expressed, is devastating. Our Jack Russell is seven and already showing signs of aging. It is shame that they can only spend a relative short amount of time with us.

Old 09-07-2006, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: david bryan

Dan
So sorry to hear. I know from experience how it hurts. Most people who know me well know how much my German Shepherd means to me. He is with me all day and night. In fact most of the board members may even realize it if they have ever bought from me, as my scans sometimes include a dog hair on them (the holders are like magnets to hair). Also quite often my shipments may include a dog hair or two. I have previously had 3 Shepherds which all died of old age and two of them I had to make the decision to relieve their misery. As the vet school at NC State told me you can tell in their eyes when it is time as they seem to be asking for relief. it is truly a hard and painful decision but a decision that is best for your beloved pet. Chin up buddy and take comfort that you friend is no longer suffering.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Wow. I'm sorry to hear that. I have that coming up soon - Max is on her last legs - and I'm dreading it. Still bright eyed and all - like the vet said though "it's a shame when the body falls apart around the brain".

I've told myself for a few years now that I should hope for the opportunity to put Max down. Dogs don't just die in their sleep anymore - if you don't put them down it's probably because something much worse happened like hit by a car or worse, gets lost and disappears. So I thought putting Max down would be the best of all possible outcomes. But the closer it gets the harder that is to remember.

I'm really sorry you had to do that. I don't think I can imagine it.

But ... I like the prime rib idea - I think I'll do the same.

Joann

Old 09-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ricky Y

Condolences to you and your family. Pets are indeed family. I've had all kinds of animals as pets over the years...rabbit, canary, dog and even a squirrel...all of them brought me countless hours of joy and fond memories.

Ricky

Old 09-07-2006, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

we had to put down our beloved Max a week ago. He too was 14 years old, a big lug and a true friend. But you know he's better off...no more pain...no more unable to get up and once up falling. And he went so peacefully as the vet said "he was ready". I take solace, as do you, that the suffering is over.

Old 09-07-2006, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Bob-GIlbert-Tom B-ANdy B- Keith"O", thanks for your sincerity &
compassion ,really.

Peter- appreciate the lite humor.
Judge- you are right about the cards, when I would leave my door
cracked- Yodi or Big Ramin would nudge it open and joined in my card gazing.
Frank- Dr.Lucky was really lucky. you had a good pal.
Jim- great dogs, those are beauties. You seem to have a great group. I hope you get lots more quality time with Turbo & the
rest. That is a great picture of dogs !!!
Joe- nice how you kept it all in the family. Labs are really
fun.
JAck- I had the same drive home .My eyes were swollen, with a
headache & heartache.
D.J- thanks for the acknowledgement.
Leon- thinking of me on your birthday, thanks !
Barry- your & Franks pets obviously knew you were helping them.
admire the faithfulness, they really did too.
John. S -JAck Russels are unique looking, bet you have a good
one .Hope you get a lot of good years ahead.
DavidB-I think i had gotten one of your animal hairs once. I thought maybe he didnt see it when he bought it that way. I bet
I have given a hair or 2 as well. Also, you are right about the eyes part.
JoAnn- give your MAx a hug for me.
Steve .M- sorry for your loss of your MAx.
Greg -appreciate your email and your dedication to your dogs.You
are rewarded, Iam sure.

This was very kind of all of you. Thank you.

Old 09-07-2006, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tony Andrea

Dan,
Even though we speak often, I was still flattered I was one of the first you called, to let know about your loss. I know what your pooch's meant to you by how much you spoke of them on the phone with me every time we spoke. Not only were you lucky to have them as long as you did, they in return were lucky to have such a wonderful owner as you. Hang in there Buddy.
I'll sing to you later to make you feel better.

SOOOOOOOOO SPECIALLLLLLLLLLL, SOOOOOOOOOO SPECIALLLLLLLLLLLL.

Old 09-07-2006, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Sorry for your loss. I've always had dogs, so I know how you feel. Hope things will be better soon. Sincerely, Paul

Old 09-07-2006, 11:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Dogs live in the present and have no concept of their death or lifespan or decades.
They weren't designed to live 80 years, there's nothing an owner
can do about that. But, especially considering that dogs live in the present
and not the future, the best thing an owner can do is to give them a full
and happy life. It's far better for the dog to life 3 happy years than 80 unhappy ones.

I held a 16 year old family dog when the vet put her to sleep. The sedative
before the final injection put her literally to sleep, so it was identical to
taking a nap for her.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Didnt the Dobermans rob banks ? The many that catch frisbees ?
no concept there .

WHat they give most of us is what many DO NOT deserve.....
UNCONDITIONAL LOVE !!!!...we are the only ones that have to care for them, not weather that they have an opinion if their going to pass away.Someone rubs my belly, I'll lick their fingers .I think this is why we relate lovingly to them ,they never change and we know what we can expect from them always ,this is something that you cannot get with a human. We have a bad day, they are there for us. They know if they are ailing. EVer seen a puppy with Parvo ?

Old 09-08-2006, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Dan

Sorry to hear of your loss. Our Annie is 14 1/2, is almost completely deaf, selectively blind, but still has a zest and enjoyment for life that gives us great joy everyday.

Max

(taken a couple of months ago)

Old 09-08-2006, 10:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

I am so sorry for your loss, Dan.
I,too, am a dog lover.
Both my best buddies are nearing 10 and still doing well but i know full
well that not many years are left and I absolutely cherish all moments with
them.
You're absolutely right---unconditional love.

my deepest sympathy, Dan

Barry

Old 09-08-2006, 11:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Butch & Co.

We're the new guys here (four of us behind the collective signature), so we hesitated to chime in on this very personal thread and we hope we're not being presumptuous in doing so now. But your loss, this thread, it's genuinely moving, and we just wanted to add four more voices in complete sympathy. The shaggy beasts in our households are never pets, they're all full-fledged members of their families. Take solace in knowing you afforded your four-legged friends a good life and hold the memories close.

Old 09-09-2006, 07:29 AM
Administrator

you all are my support group.

Paul- a sincere thanks
Max-I already love your Annie and her smile,great family member there.
Tony A.-you knew before & after .
ELkins thanks too.
Barry A. you are the board comfort
Butch & Co-keep the new coming- I'll take it all .Thank you

AFter Weder's pic of Annie and Jims dogs all bonding on that leather ,I regret not having a scanner for my Ramin, but who knows, maybe in a day or so ,just because.....

Old 09-09-2006, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Dan, sorry for your loss. "Dog" people understand how awful you feel. The pain never really goes away. You wake up in the morning and it's the first thing you think of..and the last you think of before falling asleep. I think the pain only recedes if you get another dog to which you can channel your feelings. Below is Calvin, my third shih tzu in a row...

Old 09-09-2006, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Thanks for responding- Calvin is a great looking dog. What you summed up for me is what "calvindog" meant when I seen your bidding. I thought it was merely Keith Oleary yelling that name out while he rode his Harley down the street.

Thanks for Calvin and your response !

Old 09-09-2006, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

I'd bet Big-Rae is in Heaven, playin tug of war with my Pumpkin and Brandy... In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes... and Your dog's devotion.

12 years ago,I had to put my two old goldens down. One heart-broken, painful week followed, with the pledge of not EVER owning dogs again... Three weeks later, more puppies, as life just felt so empty. Their replacements are now approaching their "Golden" years. The pain we put ourselves through.

The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs.

"Cornnut" the wonderdog sends his blessings

Old 09-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ralph

Oh it sucks

Old 09-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tony Andrea

Gentleman, meet Bella......
One spoiled Chihuahua......

Thx, Tony Andrea

Old 09-09-2006, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

The photos of the dogs are great!

This Forum simply talks to much (blah, blah, blah) about baseball cards sometimes.

I think Wonka should work his magic here. Come on John, if Mr. Mint, Joe O. and Leon were dogs, what kind of dogs would they be?

DJ

Old 09-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Here, here... what he just said. Mr. Mint on a dinky dog or Dauschaund body. I can hardly wait now! Dan, would that be ok with you? I guess it all depends on if Wonka wants to...

Old 09-09-2006, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Max - what a blessing!

Old 09-09-2006, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Old 09-14-2006, 04:13 PM
Administrator

but....STeve.F....cornut is very unique.
thanks Ralph
Joann- keep lovin that MAx
David- thanks for Henry

Ricky .Y- interesting that you had a squirrel ,we had one from our backyard in our home for about 1-1/2 yrs and put it this way
there is nothing left that was wood in the house any longer,so
his outdoors were waiting. His name was Woodrow Stephen the III
....dont ask why.

thanks all
Dan