NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-12-2010, 06:15 PM

Default Do EXMT cards ever have creases?

I was just wondering. I bought a group of cards off the internet and was ok with the fact 5 of the 6 described as exmt were vgex to ex because they were tough cards but the vg one was hammered, I'd say P-F. I sent that one back and the guy politely sent another to me that was close to vg. Bolstered by this fact, I ordered 2 more EXMT cards. One has a small wrinkle/crease and the other has multiple creases. Have I suddenly forgotten the grading system? I think vgex cards should not have creases (maybe a lite wrinkle) but certainly not EXMT ones. The seller is an ebay regular vintagefootballcardguy who has an ebay store and a lot of experience. Have I wandered back in to the pre-SGC world where grading is so subjective that you just throw out the grading guides? I am tempted to send at least the one back but it's getting to be a real pain. The cards were $16 each. What's the consensus? Eat them and chalk up another lesson learned or return one/both? Just wondering.....
Old 07-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
I was just wondering. I bought a group of cards off the internet and was ok with the fact 5 of the 6 described as exmt were vgex to ex because they were tough cards but the vg one was hammered, I'd say P-F. I sent that one back and the guy politely sent another to me that was close to vg. Bolstered by this fact, I ordered 2 more EXMT cards. One has a small wrinkle/crease and the other has multiple creases. Have I suddenly forgotten the grading system? I think vgex cards should not have creases (maybe a lite wrinkle) but certainly not EXMT ones. The seller is an ebay regular vintagefootballcardguy who has an ebay store and a lot of experience. Have I wandered back in to the pre-SGC world where grading is so subjective that you just throw out the grading guides? I am tempted to send at least the one back but it's getting to be a real pain. The cards were $16 each. What's the consensus? Eat them and chalk up another lesson learned or return one/both? Just wondering.....
As to what to do with the cards, I have no opinion. But I don't see how an excellent-mint card can have a crease.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

We need a poll for this one. No question.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
As to what to do with the cards, I have no opinion. But I don't see how an excellent-mint card can have a crease.

Did Bruce say it was OK for you to talk?
Old 07-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

I would eat them (preferably with some spice to make them more palatable).

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Banned

nm

Last edited by Rob D.; 07-12-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Jeff

I would say no, an EX-MT card cannot have a crease, raw or graded.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Rich v@n He$$

Default Granted, this is Beckett's grading description, but....

....they're all pretty much the same

6 Surface: Noticeable print spots. Minor color or focus imperfections. Minor border discoloration and color or focus imperfections. Minor wax stains or extremely subtle ink marks. Relatively solid gloss with minor scratches, but devoid of scuffing. Noticeable metallic print lines.
4 Surface: Heavy print spots. Hairline creases. Moderate color or focus imperfections. Moderate border discoloration. Moderate wax stains. Very light ink mark or tape stain. A good deal of gloss lost from surface. Very minor scuffing or an extremely subtle tear in the form of a touch of broken surface paper.

Hairline creases start at 4. With that said, Im reminded of the fact that lots of sellers on eBay use their own grading standards (same numbers, same abbreviations) which differ greatly from the standards.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Brandon Brown

Default Well...

Depends on if PSA is grading them, as evident by some of the "iffy" grading standards theyve shown of late. Ive seen a PSA 6 1940 PB Joe Jax this weekend at a card show that would barely get a 3 at SGC normally. Hard to say tho.

Brandon
Old 07-12-2010, 08:07 PM
marty

EX cards shouldn't have creases much less EXMT.. jmo.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:49 PM

I'm not aware of any published grading standards anywhere that allow for creases on an EXMT card.

Frustrating experience, Bob.

Cheers,
Blair
Old 07-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Barry Arnold

Default exmt

should have no creases.
unfortunately, many folks have their own grading standards which tend to err on the side of being much too high for what they're selling.
Bob, you said that sending them back, etc. is a bit of a pain--i'd say let it go, particularly since you and i are on the dinosaur side of life and love our peace.
best,
barry

Last edited by ethicsprof; 07-13-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:08 AM
Jason Albregts

The general rule I use (and most that I've dealt with use) is if there is any crease at all, no matter the size, it automatically knocks it down to VG.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:01 AM

About twelve years ago I got a PSA 6 on a card that I was sure was going to get an 8 or 9. Under magnification the corners are sharp and come to a point with no hint of wear or flaking. I was upset and had it reviewed at a show and they said there was an extremely minor wrinkle that accounted for the downgrade. All I could see under 10x loupe at the point indicated was what looked like a natural bump in the paper mulch. A year or two later I re-submitted it raw and got the same response. The PSA guy at the show said ex/mt 6 was the highest grade a card could get with a very slight wrinkle. They were certainly consistent.
JimB

Last edited by E93; 07-13-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethicsprof View Post
should have no creases.
unfortunately, many folks have their own grading standards which tend to err on the side of being much too high for what their selling.
Bob, you said that sending them back, etc. is a bit of a pain--i'd say let it go, particularly since you and i are on the dinosaur side of life and love our peace.
best,
barry
Barry I think, as usual, that you are right. Another lesson learned. I guess in the future if I buy cards without scans I am going to have to specifically ask if the card has any creases and not rely on the fact they are described as EXMT. I have asked guys selling vintage baseball cards described as vg or vgex if the card has any creases or if it is just corner wear, etc., I guess I'll have to expand my questioning in the future.
Thanks for all the responses to my post, I appreciate it.
Bob
Old 07-13-2010, 01:24 PM
Barry Arnold

Default bob

glad to be of help, ole buddy.
i do love the cards but peace is mighty enticing!!
best,
barry
Old 07-13-2010, 01:45 PM
Tom Boblitt

Default Agree completely with concensus..........

No creases on EX much less EXMT. I do note, however, that EYE APPEAL will sometimes cause a seller to give much more esteem to their cards than technical grade. Some VG cards look fantastic and I could see where someone would puff up a grade or two. Still.....no creases on EX or EXMT. I have had in the past a couple of PSA cards that were 5's that had paper loss on the back......does that count? Or different thread?
Old 07-13-2010, 03:09 PM

Default i've learned that lesson

i rarely buy raw cards , and if i do i try to pay less for them, for this reason. all these oldtime or longtime dealers definetly know about psa/sgc grading standards and use them to their advantage when it suits them. when they sell ungraded material they revert back to 1974 standards. all in all, if a dealer has a good return policy its worth the risk if the cards are over graded, if the cards are graded appropriately then the buyer got solid cards.

return the cards if you dont want them in your set, keep them if its not that big a deal in the big picture to you.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:29 PM
Jeff Sherman

Default Wrinkles

I'm with E93 on this, in my experience... I've had several (ok, many) pre-war cards that were visually at least a solid PSA 7 come back in PSA 6 because of a wrinkle I missed on the front or back. However, these were wrinkles, not creases. I think if there is a wrinkle, but not arising to a crease which breaks the surface, it can get a PSA 6 grade.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:58 PM
T0dd M@rcum

That's easy! Depends on who is sending them to the grading company
Old 07-13-2010, 04:05 PM
D.B. Cooper

Casey Stengel's later cards had lots of creases.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stengel.jpg (27.4 KB, 50 views)