NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-21-2009, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Default Are reprints from original Spalding Guide photos available somewhere?

Posted By: Paul C.

I'd like to obtain good quality prints of several team photos from the Spalding and Reach Guides. Is there a company, a person, or a web site from which these photos can be ordered? What became of the hundreds of original photos used in these baseball guides? Any advice is appreciated.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

I only wish it were so. In some cases vintage photos that were used in the Guides do come up. I have some middle range to excellent scans of some.

You can find some Boston team images at the Boston Public Library flickr site - downloaded resolution is medium - the quality is much better than you find in the Guides.

The 1911 Spalding Guide head shot composites are Paul Thompson photos. The Library of Congress has at least some of these, and a group of about 30 or so are available in hi-res online.

If you list the photos you are interested in I will see if I have any of them.

For example, this Pit NL photo was used in the 1897 Spalding Guide:
[linked image]

Old 03-21-2009, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I was just having this discussion with Clint earlier today...the Library of Congress's website for the Spalding Guides has not been updated in years and is missing a bunch of years. I wonder what did happen to all the photos that got sent in to be included in the Spalding and Reach guides?

Old 03-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Fimoff

Maybe I am mis-interpreting Dan's comment to some degree, but the LoC project involves digitization of actual Spalding Guides, not the photos themselves. So all images are as they appear in the Guides. As far as I know, LoC does not have the actual original photos that were used in the Guides (except for a relative few).

HoF has some also, probably more than LoC. I have purchased photo scans from them for articles I have published. That involves not only the cost of the rights fee, but also can involve costs for the search. If you want a scan of specific photo for personal use - I don't know how that works. The contact person is Pat Kelly.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

Mark, the photo you picture was used to make some Cameo Pepsin pins as well, it's tougher to tell on the Killen (as the photo is light), but these are both straight from your photo...
[linked image] [linked image]
-Rhett

Old 03-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Hey Rhett - you are right - the pins do come from that shot.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:38 PM
Administrator

"If you list the photos you are interested in I will see if I have any of them."

I'm looking for Columbus team photos of 1909-1912 and St. Paul team photos of 1913-1914.
I have the Spalding Guides in which those teams are pictured.
If anyone has or knows where originals might be found please let me know.
With the hundreds if not thousands of photos in the Guides, it seems odd that originals are not commonly seen and that there is no central database of them.

Thanks.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:51 AM
Administrator

Sorry Paul - I don't have those.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:32 AM
Administrator

Thanks for checking Mark.

The mystery of the missing Spalding Guide photos remains.
Maybe the original photos are undiscovered collecting dust somewhere, or maybe they were discarded at some point in the company's history.
It would be an amazing find if they turned up somewhere.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Mark Rucker of Transcendental Graphics has an enormous archive of baseball images. You can email him at tgraphic@shaw.ca and see what he has.

As far as the original photos, I would guess that a good number of them have found a new home in private collections.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Mark, who has the rights to the photos at the HOF?

I would also say that just because you have one of the original images used in the guides doesn't necessarily mean it's from Spalding. Surely copies were made for players, coaches, and owners. If you multiply each image by a modest 3 copies that would make for a heckuva lot of photos. You would think more of these images would turn up but I guess it shows how few have survived. I have one that I know of but as you can see it's in a little different configuration than the guide.

Does anyone have a 1908 guide? If you do, would you post or email me the photo of the Hutchinson team of the Western Association? Thanks.

Clint
[linked image]
[linked image]

Old 03-22-2009, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Clint --

The question of who owns the reproduction rights to an image is very complicated and best anwered by a copyright attorney who practices in that area.

Images that were published before a specific date (I think the date now is around 1924) are copyright free, so that would include the Spalding and Reach Guide images we have been talking about. (unpublished images don't have that statute of limitations).

However, HoF is not going to scan their images for you unless you pay them, and sign a contract if you want to publish it. Obviously, some of their old images had been published, others not. Also, just becuase HoF (or any other imnage holder) grants you reproduction rights doesn't necessarily mean that they actually hold the rights to the image!

Old 03-22-2009, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Thanks Mark, that's what I was thinking. Just wanted to make sure though.

Clint