NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 09-21-2013, 09:45 AM

Default Anyone know any good engineering colleges?

So I'm at that point in my life where I need to start looking at colleges. I want to be some sort of engineer, not completely what type yet though. Anyone know any good schools? Particularly on the East Coast? Thanks guys!
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:08 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Texas A&M
Old 09-21-2013, 12:34 PM
Todd Schultz

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 09-21-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:50 PM

Hear any good reviews about WPI or RPI?

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Oh I wish. Maybe one day!

Old 09-22-2013, 01:21 AM
Jake

To list a few.

Carnegie Mellon, Georgia Tech and University of Maryland.

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Old 09-22-2013, 07:02 AM
Chris

Hey Wazoo,

I believe US News & World Report still ranks engineering programs (I may be wrong). You should look in to them. And don't be afraid to try for places you wouldn't think you'd have a shot at. I ended up getting into my reach graduate school because I took a chance on it.

When you start the essay process, please feel free to message me if you want a second set of eyes on it. I'd be happy to help you edit it and clean it up in any way I can.

Good luck! I always regretted not going the engineering route--did math instead.

Chris
Old 09-22-2013, 10:52 AM

I appreciate everyone's help. Thank you! And I will message you! Best regards.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:00 PM
Steve Birmingham

Don't write off schools that may not have the big reputation for engineering in general. There are usually some with excellent programs in a particular area but not much in others.

That will depend on what sort of engineering you like. Even computer science can be excellent. (The software people are called engineers, but usually took compsci)

Steve B
Old 09-23-2013, 08:45 AM
T!M R10rd@n

I know a bit about the northeast, as I'm a Professional Engineer (civil/ structural) and been at this for 30+ years.

I graduated from Clarkson College (Now Clarkson University) in Potsdam, NY, and can recommend it. It was a greaet place to go to school, and has great engineering programs. Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, Chemical One of the professors that I had, later worked for me while on sababticl to gain some applicable real-life experince.

RPI in Renssalear, NY is similar, and always a Clarkson rival in hockey.

SUNY Buffalo, has a good Civil prgram, ad I have had a professor from there work on a project with us. Not familiar with their other disciplines.

Cooper Union, NY, NY. I know they have Civil (I've had graduates work with me) and Chemical (my nephew is a senior). Top notch school, and until very recently if you were accepted, tuition was free. That changed in the last year, but still a very great deal at a great school.

Manhattan College, Bronx, NY. Their Civil Engineering program has been recognized as producing very good engineers.

Rutgers University, NJ. I know they have agood Civil program and professors from there have worked on project with us.

Lehigh University, PA, has a great Civil Engineering program.

Northeastern University, Boston, MA.

MIT, already mentioned in prior posts.

I have worked with engineers from all of these, and you probably can't go wrong at any of them.

Whatever school that you end up attending, make sure that they are ABET (http://www.abet.org/accreditation/) accredited in the discipline that you pursue. This is important towards getting your professional licensure.

FYI, My nephew was accepted at both MIT and Cooper Union, and after speaking to a graduate of Cooper Union that used to work for me, selected Cooper Union. Two big things, saving over $100K in tuition, and if he decided to go to graduate school, MIT only accpets students from other schools, so if you went undergrad to MIT, then that was no longer a choice for grad school.

Good Luck!
Old 09-26-2013, 08:38 AM
Mi.ke Masi.nick

If you don't know what type of engineer you want to be, somewhere like Virginia Tech / Georgia Tech is likely the best place. They'll give you a good engineering background in the first year or two and then you can decide and finish out the major you want.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:55 AM

i'll make a plug for Rochester institute of tech. good luck with the applications.

Last edited by majordanby; 09-27-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:54 PM
Ken McMillan

University of Illinois is known for its engineering college
Old 09-30-2013, 01:51 PM
Todd Schultz

Purdue as well.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:25 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Beyond the obvious private schools (Cal Tech, Cornell, MIT, Princeton), most of the big state schools offer overall solid and broad-range engineering programs. U of Illinois to U of Iowa, Indiana, Texas Tech, Ohio State, North Carolina to Iowa State. State schools like U of Michigan, Illinois, Cal-Berkely rank up their with Stanford.

In short, getting into a big state school is a great start for a normal person, from U of Texas to Northern Illinois. Clearly, if you get a full scholarship to Princeton you're doing okay

For the record, my dad was an engineering professor at the U of Michigan, which probably ranks top 5 overall, and he's high on state schools. He got his Ph.d. from the University of Minnesota. Though my dad grew up in a blue collar middle class family-- his dad was a train worker-- and would say sending your kid to U of Wisconsin or Virginia was just as good as sending him to Yale. As an engineer, he was practical about things. Of course, back when he was a professor, state schools were affordable. Often different today.

There are only a few MITs and Stanfords in the world, but there are a lot of reputable and decent engineering colleges for the normal guy-- perhaps one in state.

Also, my dad retired numerous years ago and spends most his time now doing crossword puzzles, working in the yard and walking his dog. Engineering rankings is about last on his mind.

Last edited by drcy; 10-06-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:41 AM
H Murphy

Thumbs up

UMASS Lowell, solid programs. State school that`s not nearly as expensive as the bigger names with a very good rep. Campus located in a fairly large city, Lowell about 130,000, that offers a well rounded student life and still is only about 30 min drive to Boston. Worth a look for anyone interested in the eng. fields. Good Luck P S other pluses include numerous sports teams and a rather large amount of coeds in the educational programs .
Old 10-09-2013, 09:06 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUM301 View Post
UMASS Lowell, solid programs. State school that`s not nearly as expensive as the bigger names with a very good rep. Campus located in a fairly large city, Lowell about 130,000, that offers a well rounded student life and still is only about 30 min drive to Boston. Worth a look for anyone interested in the eng. fields. Good Luck P S other pluses include numerous sports teams and a rather large amount of coeds in the educational programs .
Totally spaced on them. They're about 10 blocks away from me too.

I have a friend who went, solid school with good connections to companies with local offices.

I went to Northeastern, also good, and eventually Waterbury state tech (Since absorbed into the community college they shared a campus with) I was primarily in a program for CAD/CAM that started in 84, but we learned a lot of general engineering. Probably not enough for certification, but more than enough to handle the technical end of things when I was doing industrial work. The guy I worked for was an old school mechanic, and extremely good at it. But I'd sometimes have to translate between "MIT English" and "Mechanic English"

If you've got anywhere near the grades, at least apply to MIT. You'll get a chance at a lot of very cutting edge stuff.

Also, College is very much a DIY education. The profs and assistants are there to give you information, but it's more up to you to learn it than it is now.

Steve B
Old 10-13-2013, 01:09 AM
I@n Cl@rke

If you're willing to consider the west coast, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo is a very good school for engineering and architecture. Of course if you're in a CA resident it's a much better deal. I studied mechanical engineering there in the mid-late '90's and my tuition was a ridiculously low $750 quarter. They also have a pretty good baseball team if you'd like to try and play college ball.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:32 PM
Jon Canfield

Clarkson University grad as well. Started off as an aeronautical engineer, but found my way into law.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:17 AM
Jeff C.

West Point.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:22 AM

I appreciate all the responses. I'm still looking at RPI, WPI, Clarkson, RIT, Northeastern, Cornell, etc. I'll give it my all. I really don't want to go that far from home though.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:23 AM

I've looked at all the other college suggestions though, and some have caught my interest for sure.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:14 PM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

I'm a recent Purdue grad. I moved from FL to IN because of the engineering school they offered at Purdue. It was tough transition, but the education made it worth while---(and parties,lol). In all seriousness, Purdue has a world class engineering institution and recognition. One of the best decision of my life. It's hard, no question, but I can tell you it helps having Purdue engineering on the good ol' resume. Good luck!

Last edited by GoCubsGo32; 11-16-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:56 PM
Ted Zanidakis

DITTO....regarding Purdue....my Nephew graduated there with a Computer Science degree some years back. He gave them an excellent rating
regarding their Engineering programs. Many Hi-Tech companies recruited him. He has enjoyed a very successful career with A T & T.

My Grandson will be graduating from the Univ. of Maine this forthcoming Spring with an EE degree. He chose Maine since he is a resident there,
and their Tuition was very reasonable. He grades their Engineering school with very high marks.

I'm a retired Electronics Engineer (30 years with Bell Labs.), who was first educated in the Tech. school system in the Air Force. While stationed
in Illinois for 2 1/2 years, I attended the Univ. of Illinois (Champaign-Urbana campus). I can tell you they have an excellent Engineering school.

My point here to you, wazoo..... is take your time and check out as many schools as you can before you make a decision.

TED Z

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________
LOOKING for these 4 - T206 guys to complete my EXCLUSIVE 12 red HINDU sub-set (12 subjects)

FORD....McGRAW (glove)....PFEFFER....SHECKARD (glove)

Last edited by tedzan; 11-17-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:23 AM
Chris

Rose Holman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk