NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 02-02-2018, 07:23 PM
John

Default Vintage Bowman - players who didn't get cards

Night Train Lane intercepted 14 passes in the 12 game '52 season and somehow didn't get a football card. Bill Willis is widely considered to be the era's best middle guard, but the Vintage Football Card Gallery (my go to source) only shows a '77 card.

I know Lane got a '57 Topps - did Willis ever get a Browns team issue or anything contemporary? Thanks!
Old 02-03-2018, 05:45 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanksAndSpartans View Post
Night Train Lane intercepted 14 passes in the 12 game '52 season and somehow didn't get a football card. Bill Willis is widely considered to be the era's best middle guard, but the Vintage Football Card Gallery (my go to source) only shows a '77 card.

I know Lane got a '57 Topps - did Willis ever get a Browns team issue or anything contemporary? Thanks!
I believe there is a Willis in a team issue from the early 50's. Maybe 1953? Also a 1953 Lane pre-rookie team card that's worth tracking down.

jeff
Old 02-03-2018, 08:31 AM
John

Thanks Jeff. If anyone has the Lane pre-rookie oR Willis team issue, I'd like to see those if an image is available. Thanks.

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 02-03-2018 at 08:31 AM.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:27 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Thanks Jeff. If anyone has the Lane pre-rookie oR Willis team issue, I'd like to see those if an image is available. Thanks.

jeff
Old 02-03-2018, 07:03 PM
John

Very Nice - thanks Jeff. Do you have the whole set?
Old 02-04-2018, 06:31 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Very Nice - thanks Jeff. Do you have the whole set?
I do. Bought it as a set. They pop up on ebay occasionally and aren't too expensive so I snagged one a few years ago. This is Lane's TRUE rookie card. I don't care what the ridiculous books say.

jeff
Old 02-09-2018, 05:50 PM
Sam Lemoine

A lot of the AAFC guys didn't get cards. Spec Sanders was still a fine player by 1950 and he didn't get a card. He was arguably the top running back of the late 40's, and a solid defensive back too.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:15 PM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderedH2O View Post
A lot of the AAFC guys didn't get cards. Spec Sanders was still a fine player by 1950 and he didn't get a card. He was arguably the top running back of the late 40's, and a solid defensive back too.
I would've liked a card of Sanders. I think he's one of those players that gets lost in history. After military service and the AAFC, he only played the one NFL season strictly on defense and winds up setting an interception record with 13 in a 12 game season - the same record I mentioned Lane breaking in my op.

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 02-12-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:50 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

When I first heard of Benny Friedman I looked for a card of him. I was thinking maybe it would be in National chicle set. Nope 1955 all American. This was very hard for me to believe.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:34 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
When I first heard of Benny Friedman I looked for a card of him. I was thinking maybe it would be in National chicle set. Nope 1955 all American. This was very hard for me to believe.
Friedman does have a couple of cards from his playing days but they are extremely hard to find. One is in the 1926 Spalding set and the other in the 1928 Star Player Candy set. There is also a hard to find color "card" of Friedman that was part of a set of college football captains published in a Chicago newspaper in 1926. This one is really tough too!

I have the Spalding and newspaper ones if you want to see what they look like. Have never been able to find a Star Player Candy Benny Friedman. Carl: you want to share an image?

jeff

P.S. Friedman was the first great NFL passer. I'm working on a story on him (and his cards) that I hope to get published in Gridiron Greats magazine at some point.

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 02-14-2018 at 02:36 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:19 AM
John

I think the Chicle set definitely had some big misses. I once did a post here on which 36 cards I would have liked. For example, there were two players that hadn't played a down yet that some probably thought might be pretty good in the pros - Stan Kostka and Don Hutson. In hindsight, it would have been great if they had included the latter. I probably give them a pass on Grange and Friedman as they may have considered that they wouldn't be playing in '35 or as I suspect they may not have known much about pro football at all and just relied on the photos the clubs sent them. They did include a premium photo of Grange.

I guess pro football just wasn't popular enough in the '20s to have a card set issued which is definitely disappointing for collectors. Unless the player was a college star and was included in one of the sets that issued cards of college players in the '20s like Friedman, cards just don't exist. Matchbooks can fill some gaps for players who were active in the 30s.

Back to an earlier topic - the Rams team issues. Are any of:

1950 Admiral TV Los Angeles Rams
1953 Rams Team Issue
1954 Rams Team Issue
1955 Rams Team Issue

large cards that were issued in packs or are they more like photos/premiums and if so, how were they distributed?

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 02-14-2018 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:10 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
Friedman does have a couple of cards from his playing days but they are extremely hard to find. One is in the 1926 Spalding set and the other in the 1928 Star Player Candy set. There is also a hard to find color "card" of Friedman that was part of a set of college football captains published in a Chicago newspaper in 1926. This one is really tough too!

I have the Spalding and newspaper ones if you want to see what they look like. Have never been able to find a Star Player Candy Benny Friedman. Carl: you want to share an image?

jeff

P.S. Friedman was the first great NFL passer. I'm working on a story on him (and his cards) that I hope to get published in Gridiron Greats magazine at some point.
I would love to see the cards! Also would love to read the article. I searched for a card of Friedman’s and after a few months I settled on the all Americans.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:50 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Back to an earlier topic - the Rams team issues. Are any of:

1950 Admiral TV Los Angeles Rams
1953 Rams Team Issue
1954 Rams Team Issue
1955 Rams Team Issue

large cards that were issued in packs or are they more like photos/premiums and if so, how were they distributed?
I've seen envelopes for most of the Rams team sets. They were definitely distributed in sets inside envelopes, probably sent to fans who requested them. Not sure if they were ever given out individually or not.

It is a mystery how Admiral Rams were distributed. There are quite a few out there that have been signed, raising the notion that perhaps they were given away at Admiral TV stores / promotions that players attended. However I recall someone once interviewing one of the Rams players from 1950 and he didn't recall ever doing any events like that or even the Admiral Rams cards for that matter.

For those that haven't seen these cards, here's an example. There are a couple of commons on eBay right now if anyone wants an example.

jeff
Old 02-15-2018, 12:00 AM
John

Thanks Jeff - I really appreciate the info on the Rams sets. I've been reading up on them recently and the 50s in general. Those Rams teams were really loaded with talent especially on offense, overshadowed by the Browns and Lions (which I understand), but if you look at 45-55, they got two titles and played in a bunch of other title games.

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 02-15-2018 at 12:01 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:16 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Thanks Jeff - I really appreciate the info on the Rams sets. I've been reading up on them recently and the 50s in general. Those Rams teams were really loaded with talent especially on offense, overshadowed by the Browns and Lions (which I understand), but if you look at 45-55, they got two titles and played in a bunch of other title games.
Yes they were! Great teams during that era. Then they kinda fell off a cliff for a while LOL. Always wondered what the Bell Brand Rams cards from 1959-1960 would be worth if the sets included more stars and the Rams had been good teams during those years. Bell Brand cards are tough to find but the star power in those sets is kinda lacking.

jeff
Old 02-17-2018, 05:09 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
I would love to see the cards! Also would love to read the article. I searched for a card of Friedman’s and after a few months I settled on the all Americans.
Here you go, Dustin.

jeff