NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 10-03-2014, 01:09 PM
J@son.K

Default UV clear protection window film

I know this has been discussed on here several times, but can anybody share their experiences with using UV protection film on glass cases?
Does it really help to prevent the signatures on balls (or any other medium such as photos) from fading?

I have this large glass case (it's made for DVDs) and I put a lot of my signed balls in there. The balls are housed in "UV protected" cubes, of course, but I was wondering if I should buy some of that UV film and apply it to the glass to further help prevent fading. But does that stuff really work?

I know it may be hard to gauge the actual effectiveness unless you are testing and comparing it to something similar, but just wondering if anybody has put their autographs behind UV protected glass and still noticed a lot of fading.

Any experiences shared would be appreciated...thanks.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:36 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

My personal opinion is that UV protection is just that--protection and not full prevention. I believe anything exposed to light will eventually fade . The question is how long it takes to fade, so I believe UV protection just slows down / delays the fading process. I read somewhere years ago that the UV protection gets less with exposure to light , something about the light wearing the protection down.. Like the more it is used the less the protection becomes.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:40 PM
J@son.K

Thanks. I guess that means the best way to display signed stuff is to not display them at all. I hate putting my signed materials in storage cases/boxes, but I guess there's no way around that if I want to keep my collectibles from fading. Signed baseballs are so nice to display on shelves, so it's too bad there's nothing out there that can help prevent fading. It seems like any form of light (any type of bulb or even indirect sunlight) causes damage.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:49 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

After much research, I installed LED lights in my entire man cave. These release virtually no UV wavelength light. Despite that, I think the best way to display items is for short periods of time. Keep the room dark unless you're in it.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 10-03-2014, 05:01 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default not a scientist

but I think one of the major factors in fading is that light is reacting with the chlorine in our air. As mentioned earlier UV (A&B) blocking is an effective tool in mediating some of the loss one might anticipate without it, but it won't eliminate it. I am rarely right however :-) I wonder if the ball was encased in a vacuum tight container with such protection if there would be any fading.....
Old 10-03-2014, 05:06 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default Mark

while I'm temporarily unable to retrofit my reef tank with LED's for structural reasons - the idea of making LED's my light source in my "cave" is intriguing. Can you tell me a little more about what you did and the resulting "look" as opposed to regular bulbs? Much of what I own is out in the elements. I try and keep the lights off or low - but it's not really possible as I live in my cave :-) Any response would be appreciated....
Old 10-03-2014, 05:41 PM
J@son.K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
After much research, I installed LED lights in my entire man cave. These release virtually no UV wavelength light. Despite that, I think the best way to display items is for short periods of time. Keep the room dark unless you're in it.
You mean LED lights like this, right? Not like the dinky strips of LED lights...I'm assuming:
Old 10-03-2014, 06:23 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

What I have is a mixture of light types. I have some recessed lighting fixtures and some track lighting as well. None of it is the strip lights as they are used more for accent lighting. If you already have fixtures in place, it should be pretty easy to find LED bulbs that fit them. Also, consider separating the lights into groups and using dimmers. This will allow you to lessen the overall amount of light by either turning off or dimming lights that aren't needed. This is a good habit regardless of your light source, but is even more important with regular bulbs.
Hope that helps. If you look in my photobucket album named "Mancave" there are some photos during construction showing some of the lights.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 10-03-2014, 07:34 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Two common causes of deterioration are UV light and dust/grease/etc from the air environment. UV protectant ball cubes protect against both to these.

If you want to put UV film on the cases, feel free. Though, depending on the degree of UV protection the cubes have, it might be overkill-- but overkill won't cause any harm.

UV protectant films, glass, holders et al offer different degrees of protection. There are two kinds of UV light and the degree of protection differ. If you have something that says blocks the whole spectrum at above 97%, you're doing well. I know that some films for glass offer very high protection. That they're film doesn't mean they're flimsy in their protection.

One thing to remember is that all glass blocks some UV light, so putting something behind any type of glass gives some UV protection. Not as much as material specifically designed to block UV light, but more protection than if the item is left in the open our outside in the sunlight.

Last edited by drcy; 10-03-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:35 AM
J@son.K

Thanks, guys. These are some useful pointers. I think the UV film is good for the ball in cubes that are recent signed balls. For the older more fragile/lighter sigs, I think the best thing is to just store them in boxes away from light. It sucks to have nice signatures and not be able to always display them though.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:58 AM
Shale Levine

I have my collection in a room with one window and I purchased blackout cloth to cover the window keeping the room dark. I use fluorescent light but think I will now go with led's
Old 10-04-2014, 08:01 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default fluorescent light

is badddddddddddd.