NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-26-2010, 01:24 PM
Brock

Default Cracker Jack Ad Sign on Ebay-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

What do you guys think? I'm guessing with a price of nearly $3,700 most felt it was legit.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:37 PM

Many may have felt it's legit, but I don't.
If original, it would sell for so much more than that. As a repro, that's an awful stiff price to pay.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:57 PM
Jimmy

Default Cracker Jack Ad Sign on Ebay

Not sure if I like th back, looks kind of funny - front is clear with good images. I most likley would have pased on it

Jimmy
Old 04-26-2010, 02:01 PM
Joe Jesselli

Dimensions are insane for a counter-top display.

Not too many bit. Look at the bidder with two feedbacks who stepped in on closing day.

Thumbs down.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:04 PM
Matt

I would say repro. The size is about half of the original, plus Rob's photos are so clear, that anyone could print it out, stick it on an easel back and sell it. No good IMO.
Matt
Old 04-26-2010, 02:11 PM
Barry Sloate

Too small for a counter top display. Don't think it's good.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:41 PM
Jon Canfield

Also, it retains the hole at the top for where the original sign would have hung. If this was a real countertop display, why even have a hole at top? It serves no purpose.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:21 PM
Kevin O'Gara

look if it was real what is it doing on ebay. enough said.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:51 PM
Johnny S

Quote:
Originally Posted by khkco4bls View Post
look if it was real what is it doing on ebay. enough said.
Someone found it in grandpa's attic !
Old 04-26-2010, 04:26 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck.....Well you know the rest
Old 04-26-2010, 06:10 PM

If you look closely at the Cracker jack advertising poster that REA sold last year, you can tell that it's the same image. All of the flaws match up exactly. This was clearly reproduced from the REA poster at some point in time.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:57 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default no doubt

It is a color copy of the REA one. Check out Wagner's name on front. They both have a stain in the same place. Ouch.

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2009/1.html

Last edited by Leon; 04-26-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:20 PM
Jim D

well at least we know what the buyer did with his copy! I can only assume the REA one was real!

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 04-26-2010, 08:31 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

WOW....152k??! That is incredible.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 04-26-2010, 09:17 PM
Trevor Hocking

Completely FAKE!!!! Like everyone has pointed out here the wear marks are the same as the poster that sold in Rob's auction. And yes the one in REA was the real deal. There are only a few of these posters known and this one was in the best shape. I hate to see this crap on ebay as it only devalues the real ones in some cases. Case in point Fan for a Fans. I wish that the auction companys would not show images of the backs to these things. I know they have to but this would really help identifying the repos. I hope no one shows the back of a fan for a fan as it is the best way to tell a fake. Anywas what a deal for the seller $3.7k for the first one WOW. I really hope he gets his money and then gets cought by the law. Ounce these guys get really good it will be very hard to tell the real from the fake.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:04 AM
Scott

Someone got what looks like a nice 3700.00 repro. Great to be either a moron, or be able to spend money like its going out of style.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:43 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default not this time

I was contacted by a friend of the buyer of this sign, on ebay, earlier yesterday. No one is going to get burned this time as I told him it was a fake, but they very well might next time. The ebay seller should have his hand slapped (at least)....regards
Old 04-27-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
Someone got what looks like a nice 3700.00 repro. Great to be either a moron, or be able to spend money like its going out of style.
Perhaps the "Made in Ohio" on the back should have been a dead giveaway...
Old 04-27-2010, 05:00 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I was contacted by a friend of the buyer of this sign, on ebay, earlier yesterday. No one is going to get burned this time as I told him it was a fake, but they very well might next time. The ebay seller should have his hand slapped (at least)....regards
Great to hear! Is it possible the seller had no clue as it looks like they had a wide variety of antiques. I wonder if the "maker" pawned it off to a less than educated but "well rounded" antique dealer. Either way, happy the buyer will learn a lesson the easy way.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 04-27-2010, 05:45 PM
Rick P

I sent the seller a note with a link to this thread and received the following response.

"THANK YOU FOR THE LINK; When I listed the sign I was under the impression it was real, I had know idea that a similar sign sold last year for $152,750; this sign has caused me nothing but a big headache for the last week & a half! Now I know it's not real; I even contacted supposed experts in the CJ collector's club; they told me it was real! The guy who bought the sign still wants me to ship it to him??? He has the same problem I did, wishful thinking that it's real??? If you can help me to find out where it came from, I think they are just coming to market? I think somebody locally (Pittsburgh, PA) is making them? Do you have any additional info? Thank you for your time, Jay
- jlombardo120"

My reply: "I wish I could tell you! I do know that when the real poster was auctioned off, a high quality picture was included in the catalog and it was widely circulated by media. THe fact that the reproduction has the same stains confirms that the deed was done with an image. These days, it seems anyone with access to a good computer can do things that make it very difficult for buyers and sellers. If I were you, I would contact ebay directly about this before sending it to the buyer. You'll need their help to stop him from posting negative feedback if you don't...and if you do, you're going to get stuck paying a significant seller fee AND will still get slammed when the buyer realizes his mistake. Right now, he probably fears someone else got to you with a better deal. You need ebay right beside you as you unravel this mess. Sorry to bear the bad news; you seem like an honest guy so I'll bet you'll get through this in good shape. Honest is still the best policy! Good luck."