NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 12-01-2018, 01:14 AM

Ok..kinda get long winded sometimes so wonít say much this time..needless to say..I like this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2018, 07:57 PM
Ed

Default Nice program!

Very nice, thanks for posting! Fun to see the famous names from back then.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:26 PM

I was about to head off to his Olympic stuff when I came across this 1908 14th Annual Penn Relays Program...kind of forgot about it! Thorpe competed in the Hurdles and high jump at this meet and won the high jump. 1908 was still early in his track career for sure. Thorpe actually tried out for the 1908 Olympics in the high jump but did not make the team while his teammates Louis Tewanima and Frank Mount Pleasant did.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:39 PM

To get the athletes and officials to the 1912 Olympics the Olympic committee rented the SS Finland to get them all there. A small track was installed, pool installed with harness for the swimmers among other things to allow the athletes to train. The discus throwers even drilled a hole in a discus and attached a rope to it and threw it it off the deck and then retrieved it with the rope! I have many favorite things in my collection but this one might be at the very top considering Iím a track guy! This is a passenger list for the SS Finland for the sailing to the Olympics! Only seen one of these in the years Iíve been collecting. Check out General Patton on the list also as he participated in the modern pentathlon in the 1912 Olympics!

Old 12-10-2018, 10:26 PM

Iíll have to back track later to show my inauguration of the stadium ticket and opening day ticket for the 1912 Olympics..just canít locate them right now. I have several tickets for various events that Jim Thorpe was at and the one shown here is for July 12, 1912 when he long jumped 22ft 7in to place 7th that day. 2nd picture shows era real photo postcards of the SS Finland that took the team to the Olympics, 3rd and 4th photo shows various views of the Olympic stadium, 5th photo is of a stadium press pin that whoever interviewed him had to have been wearing and an ashtray sold as a souvenir and then lastly more cards. These particular cards have 2 sides so last 2 photos are of same cards and their reverse sides.