NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 12-31-2023, 12:25 PM
J@mes In.gram

Default The Lions Were Robbed

Plain as the nose on your face. I don't hate the Cowboys, but the ending of last night's game was 100 % BS. The officials are on film audio with saying "#70 is eligible". Joe Buck and Troy Aikman, everybody, heard it. Never seen anything like that in my 65 years. It's obvious officiating is awful in the NFL, but that makes me think the game was fixed. That one overturned 2 point conversion will likely cost the Lions their first ever Super Bowl. There is no precedent for overturning the game, but wow.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 12-31-2023, 12:44 PM

I totally agree with the part where they were robbed. Horrible call. However, I don't think it cost them the Super Bowl, just another obstacle for them to overcome.
Old 12-31-2023, 01:05 PM
Dave

I haven’t seen the replay, but did the officials actually announce the guy who caught the ball as eligible, before the play?
Old 12-31-2023, 04:45 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

I read that he said he was eligible
BUT
He was also lined up wrong or was covered
Therefore making him Not eligible
So the guy/team screwed up themselves
Btw I don’t like nfl, only college ball
Old 12-31-2023, 04:56 PM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
I haven’t seen the replay, but did the officials actually announce the guy who caught the ball as eligible, before the play?
They don’t announce it but they do tell the Defense if a lineman reports in as an eligible receiver - so the stupid official told the defense number 70 was eligible instead of number 68 .
It’s pretty clear 68 checked in with the official by video and all accounts . So the defense doesn’t aggressively cover 68 and he catches a touchdown pass - and the stupid official Calls a penalty Because he either has his head up his ass or he’s crooked
Old 12-31-2023, 05:10 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beercan collector View Post
They don’t announce it but they do tell the Defense if a lineman reports in as an eligible receiver - so the stupid official told the defense number 70 was eligible instead of number 68 .
It’s pretty clear 68 checked in with the official by video and all accounts . So the defense doesn’t aggressively cover 68 and he catches a touchdown pass - and the stupid official Calls a penalty Because he either has his head up his ass or he’s crooked

That might also explain why he was wide open for the conversion.

Just an unfortunate situation all around.

I'd vote for "Head up his ass". The officials know there's a microscope on every play imaginable these days.
Old 12-31-2023, 05:52 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
Plain as the nose on your face. I don't hate the Cowboys, but the ending of last night's game was 100 % BS. The officials are on film audio with saying "#70 is eligible". Joe Buck and Troy Aikman, everybody, heard it. Never seen anything like that in my 65 years. It's obvious officiating is awful in the NFL, but that makes me think the game was fixed. That one overturned 2 point conversion will likely cost the Lions their first ever Super Bowl. There is no precedent for overturning the game, but wow.
When you watch the replay, you see both #68 and #70 approach the official. As Aikman said, there is no reason for a player to do that unless they were reporting as eligible. So, my question is, why was #70 approaching the official, if not to create confusion?
Old 12-31-2023, 08:13 PM
Chris Eberhart

Didn’t the Lions go for a 4th & short early on in leu of kicking a FG? They also passed on the extra point to go into OT. No doubt that bad call changed the outcome but other decisions did too.
Old 01-01-2024, 12:15 PM
J@mes In.gram

After watching the replay, as broadcast, it sure appears that the Lions were in fact robbed.

Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Old 01-03-2024, 11:09 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
When you watch the replay, you see both #68 and #70 approach the official. As Aikman said, there is no reason for a player to do that unless they were reporting as eligible. So, my question is, why was #70 approaching the official, if not to create confusion?
Agreed. You are supposed to motion to the referee that you are eligible and verbally say it as well. #70 motioned to the ref but says he didn't say anything. #68 told the ref he was eligible but didn't make an obvious motion. A third lineman also was hanging out with the ref for no apparent reason.

Sure seems that the Lions were trying to get cute.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Gorditadogg; 01-03-2024 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-03-2024, 01:19 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
Agreed. You are supposed to motion to the referee that you are eligible and verbally say it as well. #70 motioned to the ref but says he didn't say anything. #68 told the ref he was eligible but didn't make an obvious motion. A third lineman also was hanging out with the ref for no apparent reason.

Sure seems that the Lions were trying to get cute.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Apparently that's what the NFL concluded in a report about the game. While the referee still may have made a mistake, the Lions were trying to confuse things to make Dallas unsure about who they needed to cover.
Old 01-03-2024, 01:45 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
Apparently that's what the NFL concluded in a report about the game. While the referee still may have made a mistake, the Lions were trying to confuse things to make Dallas unsure about who they needed to cover.
After a review of the known facts, it appears that their own head coach robbed the Lions.

Completed 1962 Topps
Old 01-03-2024, 01:53 PM

I hope the Lions do make the Super Bowl because they have never been there and that would mean the 49er’s and Eagles don’t go, but they got smoked in Baltimore, should have lost twice to the Bears, and were embarrassed at home by the Packers.
Old 01-03-2024, 02:26 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
I hope the Lions do make the Super Bowl because they have never been there and that would mean the 49er’s and Eagles don’t go, but they got smoked in Baltimore, should have lost twice to the Bears, and were embarrassed at home by the Packers.
Hard to see the Eagles getting there the way they have been playing for the past month.
Old 01-03-2024, 06:22 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
After a review of the known facts, it appears that their own head coach robbed the Lions.
Haha yep
Old 01-03-2024, 09:27 PM
Matt G

As a cowboys fan, I agree we got lucky there.

Definitely a bad call from the refs!

Lions should have won…

M@tt G@lvin (formerly LarsHoneyToast)

T206 HOF'ers: 10/76

1956 Topps HOF’ers: 8/36