NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-12-2014, 08:57 PM
Matt

That's a gorgeous card. Gotta love the TPG game when it makes a card like that an affordable "3"!
Old 01-13-2014, 02:26 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
That Ted K card has always been a favorite of mine. Dude had pipes.

Loving how the Post War side here of Net 54 has been LIVE lately!

Now I gotta share this card on which I just closed the deal moments ago. I am pretty flabbergasted by this one-- as much as I was by the recent Nolan Ryan I came across above. As a centering and eye appeal guy, these two cards have me tripping!

I scoured 7s, 8s, even some 9s of this card-- and I was astounded by how TOUGH it is to find one centered like this. I have seen two 7s, two 7.5s, and two 8s that can hang with this centering...but when factoring in how much more those examples cost, I leaped at the value.

I'm sorry to be drooling all over your Clemente rookie, Matt, but I can't help it. My God, that is one gorgeous card. The centering is just killer. You have such a great eye.

You guys just kill me. Beautiful cards, everybody. I'm seriously chomping at the bit right now. I've got an itch I can't scratch right now.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:34 AM
Jim McKinley

Default My First Barn Find!

I found the card below in a stack of 1950's cards that I rescued at a garage sale this weekend for $.50 each. They were just sitting on a pile on a table. Quite excited.

Andy-009.jpg

Unfortunately, no Mantles in the pile...

Last edited by STL1944; 01-13-2014 at 05:35 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:48 AM
Matt Miller

Nice Pafko find!

Man you Cirulnick brothers are tearing it up. That 54 Mantle is something else. I am not sure whats going on to give it that 3, but that card looks ALOT better than that. Congrats.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:28 AM
Greg C
Greg Cir.uln.ick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBMiller25 View Post
Nice Pafko find!

Man you Cirulnick brothers are tearing it up. That 54 Mantle is something else. I am not sure whats going on to give it that 3, but that card looks ALOT better than that. Congrats.
Thanks. Matt pulled me over from basketball and got me refocused on my Mantles and 80s baseball. Its much more fun on this side I must admit. The 54 is on route to me and I'll post some larger scans when it arrives. Unless there is some creasing I'm not seeing I can't see why its a 3. Gotta love when TPG helps you land a beauty for a great price.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:27 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Loving all these... i been hunting for some furniture for the house and unable to buy cards at the moment. In fact, going have to buy a new vacuum cleaner today.
Some things just have to wait...and when i do find a opportunity..You all know i pounce on it.
I am so much in love with that Clemente...i will keep searching for some nice low end ones or the Mays Bowman RC, which i desire.
The other day, i took time looking at Pafkos as well...doesnt matter which back (seems red get more value) One day i find a nice one to give to my brother.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:38 AM
Ben North

Got these 3 in the mail today. The center card in the first pic is to compare the other 2 to. The top card is an awesome missing yellow 75 Topps #204 Frank Robinson/Roberto Clemente. The bottom card 75 Topps #200 Mickey Mantle/Maury Wills was printed with very low yellow ink. The other is a cool Nolan Ryan miscut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3627.jpg (86.1 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3625.jpg (76.8 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3626.jpg (78.6 KB, 209 views)
Old 01-15-2014, 03:34 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Default my grail

Been looking for one for a couple years.. and being far more a "corners guy" than a "centering guy", this one was perfect for me... especially it's clean image and blue background. I'm floating right now.. but should probably take a break for bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle 1.jpg (74.0 KB, 165 views)

Last edited by itjclarke; 01-15-2014 at 03:36 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:44 AM
Chris

Nice pickup Ian. Congrats!
Old 01-15-2014, 06:40 AM
Matt Miller

Ben, Congrats on the 75's, the most addicting cards EVER! I love those cards.

Ian, Great Mantle, Congrats to you.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:14 AM
nels0n aud.et

Ian

Simply Beautifull ! The color are so bright and crisp... sharp corner.. beautifulllllll card !!!

congrat
Old 01-15-2014, 07:18 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W View Post
These all came in over the last few weeks.
Awesome misprint/miscut collection! Brock fan??

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-15-2014, 07:42 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Picked up in last night's JVSC Auction. Currently at 28% of the set in all SGC 7 or better.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:16 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Ian that is gorgous Mantle RC, despite being O/C and the top right corner..I wonder if it re-subbed with a qualifer..it get a 6. The colors are amazing and no visible wrinkles.
WOW!!
FYI...theres a really nice 6 coming up in Heritage...in case you wanna bump up.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:17 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

David, terrific Ernie!! He is one of my favorites!!
Old 01-15-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Awesome misprint/miscut collection! Brock fan??
A little..... :-)

see the thread " A year of Lou Brock"......
Old 01-15-2014, 01:33 PM
Matt

Any 52T 311 addition is a momentous event for a collector!

56 is my favorite set of that decade on sheer design, color, images. Well centered Ernie; a whole set with that eye appeal is a huge achievement!
Old 01-15-2014, 02:05 PM
Matt Miller

Default Still shopping

I need help...............

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 01-15-2014, 02:12 PM
Matt

Help how? Meaning you need someone to hold some of your cards for you? Okay, I'll take care of your Seaver and 71 Ryan.

Last edited by MattyC; 01-15-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:30 PM
$teve O.

Just got these today thanks to Tony.When I sold my
first collection 25+ years ago,I always regretted not
keeping my '56 Williams.Glad to add one to my current
collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ted bgame 001.jpg (70.5 KB, 154 views)
Old 01-15-2014, 04:45 PM
Erik

Nice cards Steve. I LOVE the 1958 Topps Sport Magazine All - Star cards, they are my favorite subset of all Topps issues.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:56 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Default The Mick

Thanks guys... #311 is definitely my biggest ever pickup, and will probably remain so for a long while.

Funny, when I do ridiculous things like prop it up on the kitchen counter while cooking, I barely notice the centering. Like said, am still floating

David- love the Banks.. That's actually the first vintage HOFer I obtained, albeit in far worse condition.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:59 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default A quick story...

So I started collecting baseball cards in the late '70's mostly by buying packs each year. My first card show was probably in the mid-1980's and it was a small Sheraton Hotel-type show...I get chills just thinking about it now. That said, my collection really only encompassed the years I bought packs. Neighbors two houses over from us had three kids (two boys and a girl) and the oldest - Michael - had a few baseball cards lying around that one day he decided he wanted to get rid of, so he gave them to me. He was in his early twentys at the time and I couldn't have been more than 13 or 14. One of the cards - the only card I remember - was a 1964 Topps Mantle. I have no idea what condition the card was in...all I remember was that stance...and those arms. They were the largest arms I'd ever seen on a baseball player and though I never saw him play, I knew Mantle was baseball royalty.
Anyway, I made a huge deal about his "gift" and said many thank you's and went home to show my parents my new cards...I also went to my old price guide and saw that the Mick was worth quite a few bucks...certainly the most expensive card in my collection!
Well...Mike had some remorse about the gift and made a pretty big deal about the card and wanting it back...so I guess I did the right thing at the time and gave the card back. It bothered me for a long time and my friendship with Mike cooled from that moment on. For over 25 years, I've wanted to replace that first vintage card in my collection...and with jjcollects' help, I have...

I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:44 PM
Matt Miller

Default Banks

This is really it for a while! Banks are tough to see in scans, but this thing is dead nuts centered all the way around. So stoked to add this card!

Last edited by MBMiller25; 01-16-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:53 PM
Matt

Always loved that card; something so pleasing to the eye, the colors, the Cubs logo... And that particular specimen is what I am all about as a collector. That kind of centering makes a 1954 Topps card really stand out from its brethren: when the three white borders are all the same exact size. Great eye selecting that card, Miller!

SERIOUSLY GUYS, this section is jumping off in 2014 hotter than the Pre War side! One of the best card/forum experiences I've seen.

Last edited by MattyC; 01-16-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:57 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

You guys gotta see the nice Mantle Rc in 'Love of the game" auctions..
It is outstanding!!!
It is the best 2 i have seen in a long time!!
If i was a betting man..i can see this one fetching 6k+

As for that Mr. Banks....totally first class....i wish i could find a nice one to go with my Hank Aaron RC (which is the same year)

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 01-16-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:20 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

That Banks rookie is one of my favorite cards in the hobby! I love his youthful look. Those white 54s just look great! Someday....
Old 01-16-2014, 04:41 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Ok, most of this stuff was actually purchased in December, but I am just now getting it scanned and on here. You guys have inspired me! In addition, to these, I was very fortunate to pick up several other ungraded '57 Topps stars and many '59 Topps stars in solid mid-grade, pretty well centered. The '41s are the outliers of my collection. At heart, I am a 50s Topps guy (though those '53 Bowman Colors are looking better all the time), but I have always loved the '41 Play Ball set. I am 10 cards from completion...including Joe D. I bought a partial set of 60 back in late November, and I am paying on the layaway. Some of the '41s I have scanned here are from that layaway that I have already brought home, and some I have picked up outside of that layaway. I hope to bring the rest home late next month. Right now, some are in screwdowns, some in slabs, and some are in top loaders. Eventually, all will be in top loaders in 4 pocket Ultra Pro pages in a binder. The sleeves and screwdowns really obscure the images, but you get the idea. And that Drysdale's print quality is not that bad...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1941 Play Ball 1.jpg (73.6 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg 1941 Play Ball 2 and 57s.jpg (72.3 KB, 131 views)
Old 01-16-2014, 04:43 PM

Wink

Wow! Thread still delivers!

And that's a fantastic childhood story about the Mantle card, Matt!

Last edited by CW; 01-16-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:57 PM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
So I started collecting baseball cards in the late '70's mostly by buying packs each year. My first card show was probably in the mid-1980's and it was a small Sheraton Hotel-type show...I get chills just thinking about it now. That said, my collection really only encompassed the years I bought packs. Neighbors two houses over from us had three kids (two boys and a girl) and the oldest - Michael - had a few baseball cards lying around that one day he decided he wanted to get rid of, so he gave them to me. He was in his early twentys at the time and I couldn't have been more than 13 or 14. One of the cards - the only card I remember - was a 1964 Topps Mantle. I have no idea what condition the card was in...all I remember was that stance...and those arms. They were the largest arms I'd ever seen on a baseball player and though I never saw him play, I knew Mantle was baseball royalty.
Anyway, I made a huge deal about his "gift" and said many thank you's and went home to show my parents my new cards...I also went to my old price guide and saw that the Mick was worth quite a few bucks...certainly the most expensive card in my collection!
Well...Mike had some remorse about the gift and made a pretty big deal about the card and wanting it back...so I guess I did the right thing at the time and gave the card back. It bothered me for a long time and my friendship with Mike cooled from that moment on. For over 25 years, I've wanted to replace that first vintage card in my collection...and with jjcollects' help, I have...

Very cool story Matt.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:50 PM
nels0n aud.et

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
You guys gotta see the nice Mantle Rc in 'Love of the game" auctions..
It is outstanding!!!
It is the best 2 i have seen in a long time!!
If i was a betting man..i can see this one fetching 6k+
This 52 Mantle is amazing for a 2.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:08 PM
Derek Granger

Default 1946 Schoendienst

sorry, not Mantle, or Banks, or Clemente....but a tough, RARE, HOF "rookie" card that I just picked up...and one I have been searching for for a very long time.

1946 Sears Postcard of Red Schoendienst:

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 01-16-2014, 11:09 PM
Matt

I know how hard these really early issues of players can be-- must have been extremely rewarding and satisfying to finally snag it!

Your rookie collection is great, by the way. I see you have the Zeenut DiMaggio BATTING!!! That's one hell of a tough card to come by-- not one you see in every collection. Much props there, sir!
Old 01-16-2014, 11:29 PM
Derek Granger

Thanks Matt - your DiMaggio Zeenut ain't so bad either!! Love your high end rookies. For me, I'm happy w/ my low grade ones....that way I can keep hope of one day filling all my collection holes.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:00 AM
Phil Garry

Great pick-up on the Schoendienst postcard, Derek. The one that I used to own had damage on all four corners so yours is definitely a better example. BTW those are the only two that I have ever seen or heard of.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:29 AM
D.an Jackso.n

Great Red Sears card. I have heard of that issue but never seen... Congrats.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:38 AM
Bill Gregory

Congrats on the beautiful Mantle, Ian. I'm really happy that you were able to add that to your collection.

Have you stopped looking at it long enough to sleep?

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:44 PM
Matt Miller

Default Wow

Derek, That 46 Sears Postcard is a great piece! Congrats on picking up that Schoendienst. Musial has a postcard as well. I have been looking for one since 2008. That Musial postcard is my HOLY Grail Musial piece.

Congrats again, I was super excited when I came to this page and saw that postcard.

Matt
Old 01-17-2014, 03:12 PM
Derek Granger

Default Sears PC

Thx Matt #1, Phil, St. Louis guy, and Matt #2. I'd hate to be in a bidding war for a Musial Sears PC if Matt #2 is in the running!! LOL...but I would be ready to duke it out. It's high on my want list as well (I'd replace my Musial avatar for a new one)!

Now that's a card image I have NEVER seen (a '46 Musial Sears PC). If anyone has a scan, I'd love to see one.

Last edited by h2oya311; 01-17-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:15 PM
Phil Garry

Derek:

I have seen one in an old auction catalogue but the image was extremely small. One of the major auction houses but many years ago, before we started our HOF RC collections.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:21 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

i was doing a look on Stan the man.....well there is a propoaganda on Ebay right now..think it was graded 1.5 PSA and one in Goodwin auction SGC 30/2
What is so odd, i could not find a pic of this 1946 Sears postcard
I just learned something new here: (from the CU board)
PS there are 11 Musial cards made before 1948 (7 if you dont count premiums)

1943 M114
1946 Propaganda Montiel
1946 Sears
1946 W603 Sports Exchange
1946-47 Sensacion Premiums
1947 W602 Sports Exchange mini
1947 Exhibit Supply Co. ("MADE IN USA" kneeling pose was only made this year)
1947 D305 (round corners)
1947 W571-3 Hess Shoes
1947 Bond Bread Premiums
1947 W571-2 Bond Bread Exhibit

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 01-17-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:40 PM
Matt

I have long preferred the Propagandas Mont to the 1948 Blandman, I mean Bowman! The 48 Leaf is awesome though with those bold colors.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:49 PM
Derek Granger

Default Musial

I have the M114 and the 1946 Montiel (same image used on both cards). My Montiel is also my avatar.

Phil, was the Sears Musial the same image as those two cards or a portrait shot? I would assume portrait shot, consistent with the other Sears PCs I've seen. My Red S. was one of many for sale a few weeks ago on eBay. I wonder if he had a Musial??

Old 01-18-2014, 05:17 AM
Phil Garry

Derek:

I think it was a portrait, definitely not the M114 image.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:17 AM
Matt Miller

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
I have the M114 and the 1946 Montiel (same image used on both cards). My Montiel is also my avatar.

Phil, was the Sears Musial the same image as those two cards or a portrait shot? I would assume portrait shot, consistent with the other Sears PCs I've seen. My Red S. was one of many for sale a few weeks ago on eBay. I wonder if he had a Musial??
It's a portrait, consistent with the other Sears postcards. The seller did not have the Musial.

Last edited by MBMiller25; 01-18-2014 at 05:18 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:21 AM
Matt Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I have long preferred the Propagandas Mont to the 1948 Blandman, I mean Bowman! The 48 Leaf is awesome though with those bold colors.
Matt, the Sports Exchange are pretty cool looking Musial's as well if you like the PM. There was a PSA 9 auctioned off by ML a few years ago. I still have no idea why I didn't bid more. That was definately a stupid move by me. One of many I might add.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:07 AM
Phil Garry

Here's the '46-'47 Sensacion Musial, another really tough one to find.............
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sensacion Musial.jpg (9.7 KB, 220 views)
Old 01-18-2014, 12:09 PM
Matt

I love it when a card's edge is obscured by the holder's inner ridge; I could tell this was sweetly centered, better than the pic indicated-- feel like I just stole it off ebay! Will take a better scan when in hand.

Is Yount's uniform just fresh to death in this pic or what? From head to socks and shoes the guy is pimping large.

Last edited by MattyC; 01-18-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:57 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

MattyC your are very sick!!!!!
Old 01-18-2014, 03:51 PM
Matt

I would wear that whole uniform out anywhere, just to floss.