NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-09-2018, 08:22 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Grading in theory is nice. In reality, the "expertise" has proven to be fraudulent, far too many times. Learn how to grade yourself, as we did as kids in the 1980's; it's worth it. It's tougher today buying sight-unseen, but still possible to maintain some of your own personal accuracy over the long run if you learn what to look for. I'm not saying to buy raw cards only necessarily, but I'm starting to realize with decent scans, I can tell the difference between high end for the grade, and mediocre slabbed material.
That is why I also purchase the majority of my raw cards through a reputable dealer.
I have looked at, inquired about other raw cards from other sellers but when I have looked at their feedback or don't hear anything back or see reverse scans that I have asked for, I quickly scratch them from my list.
Doing that over the last couple years is why I am at 91% bid activity with my current preferred seller in GM cards. Their shipping fees can't be beat either, especially for us Canucks!

Last edited by irv; 12-09-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:19 AM
D@le Irv*n

I just noticed these 2 cards from a FB seller. I know scans don't always show/tell the whole picture, but how did Roe receive a 6 and Schmitz only a 5?

It looks like Schmitz is deserving of the 5, maybe even higher, but the Roe, imo, looks like a 4, at best, to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg InkedPreacher Roe_LI.jpg (75.6 KB, 360 views)
File Type: jpg InkedJohhny Schmitz_LI.jpg (78.0 KB, 367 views)
Old 12-09-2018, 12:02 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I just noticed these 2 cards from a FB seller. I know scans don't always show/tell the whole picture, but how did Roe receive a 6 and Schmitz only a 5?

It looks like Schmitz is deserving of the 5, maybe even higher, but the Roe, imo, looks like a 4, at best, to me.
Is the Roe an older grade? Perhaps a beholder? I wonder how the back of the cards look as that may also affect the grade.

Nice cards, however Schmitz is clearly the nicer card from the front. On the surface, as said on the Forum, buy the card not the grade. Something we all do.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:54 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
Is the Roe an older grade? Perhaps a beholder? I wonder how the back of the cards look as that may also affect the grade.

Nice cards, however Schmitz is clearly the nicer card from the front. On the surface, as said on the Forum, buy the card not the grade. Something we all do.
Is there anyway to tell, Lou, via the number or something else, if the card is a reholder?

I am not a 100% convinced that is the case based on what I have seen before, but it does make the most sense.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:43 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Is there anyway to tell, Lou, via the number or something else, if the card is a reholder?

I don’t believe there is. When a card is sent in for reholder, I believe it keeps the same cert #.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2018, 07:15 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:

I am not a 100% convinced that is the case based on what I have seen before, but it does make the most sense.
I believe some know how to tell how old a cert number is. Old cert number plus new holder means it's been reholdered.

My preference is to reholder anything of a decent value before selling.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 12-10-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:48 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
That is why I also purchase the majority of my raw cards through a reputable dealer.

Agreed. With PSA I just look for 100% feedback, but for raw cards it helps to go to a trusted dealer. I’ve used Kit Young a lot in the past. His prices are reasonable and he negotiates on some eBay sales. With him I know if the card is advertised as “VG-EX” I’m going to at least get something in the ballpark. Not like with some other unknown sellers who sometimes don’t know what they are talking about.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:36 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
I don’t believe there is. When a card is sent in for reholder, I believe it keeps the same cert #.

That's unfortunate. I am sure the card, being in a newer flip would fool some into thinking the card is a true 6 and will always grade/be a 6 not knowing, if it were to be graded today with today's standards, that it mostly likely, at best, is a 3-4 now.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:44 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
That's unfortunate. I am sure the card, being in a newer flip would fool some into thinking the card is a true 6 and will always grade/be a 6 not knowing, if it were to be graded today with today's standards, that it mostly likely, at best, is a 3-4 now.
There are a lot of things about TPG's which are unfortunate.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:52 PM
Kris

Default Buy the card

To me this is a beautiful card regardless of its technical grade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 54 Mick.jpg (75.1 KB, 344 views)

https://www.collectorfocus.com/colle.../my-collection
Old 12-10-2018, 03:14 PM
je.sse @rnot

Here are a few that I feel look nicer than their technical grade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160620_144903.jpg (78.7 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg 20160504_104541.jpg (77.9 KB, 343 views)
File Type: jpg 20150801_211013.jpg (69.2 KB, 346 views)
Old 12-10-2018, 04:16 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post

Gorgeous cards!

Old 12-10-2018, 07:25 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Wow! That 57 Mantle is off the charts.

Here are a couple of Wille that I think present very well the grades given.

Last edited by jb67; 12-11-2018 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:27 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckettfan View Post
To me this is a beautiful card regardless of its technical grade.

I had that Mantle as a kid in the 1980’s. Mine had a big ugly crease through the lower left corner. I was totally in love with it regardless.