NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-15-2015, 11:21 AM
Gary B.

Default Help Me Identify Postcard 1900-1910 - Tigers? Ty Cobb?

Hi, everyone! First post.

I obtained this postcard and would love some help identifying what it is, and possibly what it's worth? This is all I could come up with in my research:

The stamp on the back is from 1902 and issued from 1902-1903, so I assume the postcard is somewhere from 1902-1905 or so, unless someone happened to hold on to a stamp and used it more than 2-3 years later.

I found this info on line from http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.o...es/jerseys.htm :

"Running the Bases Wearing Laces
The late 1870s saw the introduction of the laced-front jersey. Styles varied, with some shirts featuring lacing that ran the entire length of the shirt, while others had lacing for just the top portion of the jersey. Laced-front jerseys remained popular through the 1890s, but by 1901 only two of 16 major league clubs were wearing the style. Ten years later, laces on shirts had disappeared altogether."

The person writing on the back of the card said they were seeing the team tonight, so it's got to be 1902-1911, and probably 1902-1905 or so.

It's also been suggested that one of the players looks like Ty Cobb, especially in light of the fact of it being some Detroit team, but I can't place what team that even is, much less if it's a minor league team Cobb could have been on. The stylized D is a lot different and less polished than the Detroit Tigers of the day, so I'm assuming it's some minor league or non-MLB team. I personally seriously doubt it's Ty Cobb as his face and arms are a little softer, whereas Cobb, even back then, had more angular features, but anything's possible.

Also, I'm limited by the size limits of uploading pictures, but I can put them on photobucket if anyone wants to see larger images.

Regardless, it's a pretty cool artifact, but I can't identify what team it is or the year or if this card is unique or if other copies exist, etc. Anyone?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tigers1.jpg (29.9 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg tigers2.jpg (15.9 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg tigers3.jpg (9.4 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg tigers4.jpg (19.2 KB, 246 views)
Old 08-15-2015, 11:59 AM
Brian T.

Not sure about the team or the player except that I can't see any way that'd be Cobb. The divided back postcard puts it post March 1, 1907. Images from Cobb in that era are around (w601, for example) and there are striking differences.

Sorry for the bad news about it not being Cobb. Still a cool looking postcard though. Perhaps others can weigh in on who the team might actually be.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:11 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Divided back, has to be 1907 or later.

Looks nothing like Cobb.

whoops... what Brian said.

Last edited by Bicem; 08-15-2015 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Brian's post
Old 08-15-2015, 12:22 PM
Gary B.

well I seriously doubted it was Cobb too, I just had to ask, but I never knew anything about divided postcards, so it puts the date a little later. anyone have any hard date on how that works?

more importantly, can anyone identify what this team is or if this postcard is unique or a known entity, etc.?
Old 08-15-2015, 12:46 PM
pariah1107

The subject matter is great. Though not Cobb. As mentioned post 1907 image but probably not much later. The writer mentions a baseball game with this team in the near future, etc.. I can't read the name on the postcard; signed or to whom it is addressed. The name would almost certainly narrow the team down to an area..... My guess is probably a town team near El Campo, Texas. More likely Danevang than Detroit.

If you'd like some help through ancestry.com PM me.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:47 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulgoobe View Post
more importantly, can anyone identify what this team is?
Gonna be tough. That stylized "D" could have been worn by town or school teams anywhere in America. Hard to tell from your scan but is any part of the postmark readable? That could help narrow down the location and you might get lucky.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:10 PM
Gary B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
Gonna be tough. That stylized "D" could have been worn by town or school teams anywhere in America. Hard to tell from your scan but is any part of the postmark readable? That could help narrow down the location and you might get lucky.
No, I should have specified - there's no way I can tell what the postmark is.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:12 PM
Brian T.

The "should have been here to help us eat peaches" makes me think it is somewhere in Georgia.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:14 PM
Don Stokes

Not Detroit Tigers..wrong color of hat and shirt collar. Plus wrong English D.

Last edited by Dto7; 08-15-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:29 PM
Jim Schneider

Most likely a town or high school team based upon the small number of players and their ages. I can't read the message but I'd look for smaller towns in Texas that begin with "D"
Old 08-15-2015, 01:43 PM
Gary B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmonster View Post
Most likely a town or high school team based upon the small number of players and their ages. I can't read the message but I'd look for smaller towns in Texas that begin with "D"
yes, but it's being sent to someone IN Texas, not necessarily FROM Texas - it could be from anywhere that had baseball teams in the era - the only possible clue that someone else mentioned was the reference to eating peaches which says it COULD be Georgia, but it could just as easily not be
Old 08-15-2015, 01:44 PM
Gary B.

Is there anyone around here that's an expert in these kinds of things that might be able to identify what it is? are these kinds of postcards common, or are they unusual?
Old 08-15-2015, 02:41 PM
pariah1107

Not Ty Cobb. Peaches grow in Texas. Yet another unidentified team PC. Good luck.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:58 PM
Gary B.

ok, so if no one can tell me what it is, anyone have an idea what it's worth? is it possible to list it with any auction house without identifying it?
Old 08-15-2015, 06:05 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Not at all uncommon. If you can identify the team it adds some value but not a ton unless it is a low level minor league (professional) team. Value depends on the part of the country and the collectibility of that area of the country more than anything else. Value is rather minimal in the $25-75 range without any further info.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 08-15-2015, 06:12 PM
Steve Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulgoobe View Post
ok, so if no one can tell me what it is, anyone have an idea what it's worth? is it possible to list it with any auction house without identifying it?
Based on what the experts have opined my guess is that it's worth between $35 and $50.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

We look at pictures of Cobb daily. There is a lot of resemblence in many old ballplayers but very few turn out to be him. (or any famous player for that matter)