NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-17-2013, 09:02 AM
Mike

Default Taxes On Consignments

I recently consigned some of my collection to an auction house and was wondering what the process is for taxes when it comes to the final sale. I would assume that a great majority of you have consigned in the past and have experience with this matter. Any information would be appreciated.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:23 AM
Hank Thomas

Disclaimer: I am NOT a tax professional. But, you are responsible for paying taxes on any gain from the sale of your assets. If you have held them for more than a year, the capital gain rate (for your particular overall marginal tax rate) applies. You can deduct the cost of these assets, assuming you have those records, from the gain at sale, in determining the net taxable gain.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:27 AM
pete ullman

hank's right...but I'm guessing most do not claim this income...and I believe at this point the AH's do not report it.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:31 AM
D@ve R1cks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
hank's right...but I'm guessing most do not claim this income...and I believe at this point the AH's do not report it.
Probably true. But, if a check is in excess of 10K, your bank is required by law to report it to big brother when a check of that size is cashed or deposited.

(from what I understand)
Old 09-17-2013, 10:38 AM
Bruce C@rter

Quote:
Originally Posted by honus94566 View Post
Probably true. But, if a check is in excess of 10K, your bank is required by law to report it to big brother when a check of that size is cashed or deposited.

(from what I understand)
That's not true. I deposit lots of checks well over $10000 in my business and they are not reported.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:56 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texxxx View Post
That's not true. I deposit lots of checks well over $10000 in my business and they are not reported.
I think the federal law has more to do with cash transactions of $10k or more. It would be crazy to have to report all transactions to the govt. that are over 10k. All of that should come out on tax returns, one way or the other.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:03 AM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Disclaimer: I am NOT a tax professional. But, you are responsible for paying taxes on any gain from the sale of your assets. If you have held them for more than a year, the capital gain rate (for your particular overall marginal tax rate) applies. You can deduct the cost of these assets, assuming you have those records, from the gain at sale, in determining the net taxable gain.

Not sure capital gain/marginal tax rates apply to collectibles. I seem to remember reading that collectibles are their own class of asset and the rate was something huge (28%?) no matter what your marginal rate is and no matter how long you have held the asset. I could be wrong.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:05 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by honus94566 View Post

(from what I understand)
Not true...this is a popular misconception.

Jeff
Old 09-17-2013, 11:05 AM
Tony N.

Default Taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I think the federal law has more to do with cash transactions of $10k or more. It would be crazy to have to report all transactions to the govt. that are over 10k. All of that should come out on tax returns, one way or the other.
Correct, banks report CASH transactions over $10K.

I am not a tax advisor - but I think if there is a net gain on the sale, it's gets reported on your Schedule D, and I believe it's subject to the 28% collectibles rate.
If there is a net loss, I don't think the loss is allowed, from what I understand - but don't quote me on that. It's not like the sale if stocks, bonds, etc.

Tony
Old 09-17-2013, 11:07 AM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
There was a skit (madtv/snl) or a comedian I heard long, long ago where a person involved with "illegal activities" would stand in line multiple times at the same bank and deposit $9,999 each time.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:25 AM

Collectibles are treated differently than normal capital gains/losses.

There is no short term or long term, the rate is 28% of what your gain is, not the actual sale price. If there is a loss it can be used to offset other collectible losses in the same year. Unlike other investments you also cannot deduct expenses and or related costs on these collectibles.

Auction Houses are not required to file any individual reports, it is up to the seller to report it.

Last edited by sb1; 09-17-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:07 PM
Hank Thomas

I stand corrected. Looks like it's a straight 28% of the net of gains and losses on sales of collectibles for the calendar year. Sorry for the misinformation.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:01 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
I stand corrected. Looks like it's a straight 28% of the net of gains and losses on sales of collectibles for the calendar year. Sorry for the misinformation.
Thanks to Jim VB, I stand corrected a second time. The 28% is the MAXIMUM capital gain tax rate on collectibles, otherwise it is taxed at your lower marginal rate for all income including the capital gain. Only if your rate is 28% or higher would you pay 28% on your collectibles gain. I sure hope that's right, and in any case I'm going to shut up now.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:26 PM
MikeHealer

Jim VB!!, I haven't seen him post in a long time. I hope he's doing well.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:29 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

If you don't declare your gains on your tax returns and get audited you will be miserable when required to pay penalties and interest on top of the taxes owed. In addition, if you do it for a few years in a row, i.e. showing a pattern of tax fraud, you could be indicted. Respectfully, only an idiot would fail to declare these gains if they are significant.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:33 PM
Mike

My understanding of what most of you are saying is that I would only have to declare to the IRS what I gained from the sale of my cards? For example, if I purchase a card for $100 and sell if for $110 I would only have to declare the $10? Also, when purchasing my cards I never kept record of the purchase price. Would I just guess as to what I purchased them for? I do have a very good idea of what I paid, but I could be off a little. Thank you again for the information.

Mike
Old 09-17-2013, 05:37 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Mike, yes, you'd only have to declare your gain. If you don't know what you paid for the card, you should make a best guess -- but be prepared to defend that guess should you be audited.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:40 PM
Bruce C@rter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetinkerfan View Post
My understanding of what most of you are saying is that I would only have to declare to the IRS what I gained from the sale of my cards? For example, if I purchase a card for $100 and sell if for $110 I would only have to declare the $10? Also, when purchasing my cards I never kept record of the purchase price. Would I just guess as to what I purchased them for? I do have a very good idea of what I paid, but I could be off a little. Thank you again for the information.

Mike

With out records they could make you declare all of it. They probably want but could. My parents were audited when I was around 16 and I have been audited myself. We came out squeaky clean but I knew to keep perfect records. I have records of the cost of every card I own. Even if it's just an email stating what I am paying for it.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:47 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

It's all going to depend on whether you receive a 1099 from the auction house. If you receive a 1099 the revenue will have been reported to the IRS and you will be obligated to report the income. IF you have not received a 1099 you are still required to report the gain and loss however the IRS will not have received notice of your receipt of funds from a third party.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:00 PM
D@ve R1cks

Quote:
Originally Posted by e107collector View Post
Correct, banks report CASH transactions over $10K.

Right, so if you get a check from an auction house that's over 10K and cash it, it gets reported to the IRS by your bank.

At least that's what I thought.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:54 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206hound View Post
There was a skit (madtv/snl) or a comedian I heard long, long ago where a person involved with "illegal activities" would stand in line multiple times at the same bank and deposit $9,999 each time.
Actually that is illegal, it's known as sequencing and I was warned against it.

Always amazes me that auction houses aren't required to issue 1099's. I have to 1099 my janitor and anyone else I pay over $599. a year to, assuming they are not incorporated.
And just because you don't get a 1099 don't assume the payer didn't report it and just neglected to send you the form.
Always best to report all income and then find the cost basis for that income rather than under report.

Last edited by Griffins; 09-17-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:07 PM
Belltown Vintage

Even if the bank isn't reporting deposits to the IRS, if you get audited it's still all in your bank records as large deposits. I would assume that an audit could involve you producing your bank statements and explaining such deposits.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:19 PM
Mike

After doing some searching I was able to find all of my purchase history for my cards..Which is a good thing! For those of you that have been through this process before, are any of you aware or not if there are sections on the HR Block or Turbo Tax sites where you submit this information or would I have to speak to someone in person. Thank you again for the much appreciated information.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:44 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Reporting

I don't know the cash reporting threshold for banks, but with the Post Office, cash transactions of $3000 or more have to be reported to the Secret Service. If you come in and purchase $3000 worth of money orders you have to fill out a form. The info on the form goes into the computer system and the transaction is reported to the Secret Service. It is call the Bank Secrecy Act.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:37 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Offsetting losses

A good reason to keep a closet full of cards and receipts from the golden era, 1986-1995.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.