NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-01-2017, 09:26 AM
Paul S Paul S is offline
member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Landlocked by High Toll Fees
Posts: 1,793
Default Sling TV

Anyone here use/try it?

We are a household of three adults. Currently have Verizon/Fios. No Premium channels but the person who foots the bill is tired of the cost anyway (about $150/per mo) He and I have fairly similar tastes: Broadcast network news channels, sports, movies - but I am somewhat more diverse and yet can somewhat get by on the cable only channels we receive. The third guy currently just streams through the internet onto his PC - his tastes are often different then us other two.

I've done my own cursory glance of their website and other reviews. Any real input is appreciated, especially with streaming issues, channel selection, major events, sports or otherwise. We reside on Long Island.

Last edited by Paul S; 02-01-2017 at 09:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-01-2017, 11:25 AM
KMayUSA6060 KMayUSA6060 is offline
Kyle May
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 691
Default

I've heard mixed reviews. Never used it myself, though.

I've heard a jail-broken Amazon Firestick could be the way to go as far as entertainment and binge-watching options go.

I am in the process of completing the purchase of my first house. I have lived with my parents, whom have DirecTV. I SWEAR by DirecTV for those that like the variety of options offered on TV. It is one of the first things I want installed in the new house. Hoping to pay around $70-80 a month for the 2nd best package (the most complete sports package). Not sure what DirecTV costs out on Long Island, but in the Akron, OH, area, that's our pricing. My dad has had DirecTV for years, and has never paid more than $80 a month after re-negotiating contracts and such.
__________________
Faith. Family. Country. Baseball. Baseball Cards.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-01-2017, 11:42 AM
Beatles Guy's Avatar
Beatles Guy Beatles Guy is offline
Jason Albregts
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Elsberry, MO
Posts: 1,450
Default

I have it and I like it. The price is right. Here and there you will have a glitch when traffic is heavy, but for the most part it fits the bill for what I need. you get he basics - USA, TNT, TBS, Comedy Central. I like it most now that theyve added the local Fox Sports affiliate.

I use Roku stick and get Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and a couple of other apps like PBS and CBS News.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-01-2017, 12:14 PM
bnorth's Avatar
bnorth bnorth is online now
Ben North
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 3,487
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles Guy View Post
I have it and I like it. The price is right. Here and there you will have a glitch when traffic is heavy, but for the most part it fits the bill for what I need. you get he basics - USA, TNT, TBS, Comedy Central. I like it most now that theyve added the local Fox Sports affiliate.

I use Roku stick and get Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and a couple of other apps like PBS and CBS News.
Jason could you or anybody give a quick for "dummies" explanation on how this works. Do you need a smart TV? Yes I do not have a clue how this works but would really like to learn. Thanks!
__________________
T210 Series 3 Ft Worth, looking for low end examples and especially ones with a Y shaped hole punch. I also have some extra T210's for trade.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-01-2017, 05:53 PM
slinger23 slinger23 is offline
Andy S@ld@n@
member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: DFW
Posts: 53
Default

I have SlingTV and have been a user since last summer. I like it alot. I have two streaming devices, a Roku 3 and a 4th generation Apple TV and streams perfectly thru both. Now, I wish they could do a better job meshing the packages offered, blue and orange. I chose the package that offers multi-streams over the other, but I do not get ESPN because of that selection. Every once in a while there is a hiccup in the stream, but overall I recommend it. I use an HD Mohu Leaf antenna for local stations and this fills in the void elsewhere.

Andy S
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-01-2017, 06:00 PM
slinger23 slinger23 is offline
Andy S@ld@n@
member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: DFW
Posts: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Jason could you or anybody give a quick for "dummies" explanation on how this works. Do you need a smart TV? Yes I do not have a clue how this works but would really like to learn. Thanks!
To quickly answer your question, you do not necessarily need a smart TV, but as long as you have a streaming device like Apple TV or Roku. You just need to download the slingtv app, enter your login information and voila, you have live tv. You can also download it to a mobile phone or tablet too. The key is have reliable internet connection that can handle streaming. Hope this info helps. I started the 7 day trial last summer and feel it is definitely worth the price!

Andy
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-01-2017, 06:12 PM
bnorth's Avatar
bnorth bnorth is online now
Ben North
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 3,487
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinger23 View Post
To quickly answer your question, you do not necessarily need a smart TV, but as long as you have a streaming device like Apple TV or Roku. You just need to download the slingtv app, enter your login information and voila, you have live tv. You can also download it to a mobile phone or tablet too. The key is have reliable internet connection that can handle streaming. Hope this info helps. I started the 7 day trial last summer and feel it is definitely worth the price!

Andy
Thank you, I think I get it now.
__________________
T210 Series 3 Ft Worth, looking for low end examples and especially ones with a Y shaped hole punch. I also have some extra T210's for trade.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-01-2017, 06:30 PM
Griffins Griffins is offline
Anthøny N. ex
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 981
Default

We just cut the cable, and installed a Roku and signed up for Sling. Best thing we ever did, and wish I'd done it a few years ago. Much better content, and lower cost. After a week trial we dumped the Orange channel, as the Blue had pretty much all we needed.
By installing a local hd antenna, and Roku we were able to sign up for Sling, and sign on to our existing Amazon and Netflix accounts. The only thing I found frustrating is that this didn't provided us with CBS, so I had to sign up for that (think it is $6 a month) as well as HBO.
Way, way more TV than anyone needs but at least we've got a whole lot more choices at a bit more than 1/3 of the cost we were paying for cable.
HTH.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-02-2017, 10:33 PM
Beatles Guy's Avatar
Beatles Guy Beatles Guy is offline
Jason Albregts
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Elsberry, MO
Posts: 1,450
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Jason could you or anybody give a quick for "dummies" explanation on how this works. Do you need a smart TV? Yes I do not have a clue how this works but would really like to learn. Thanks!
Sorry for the delayed response. As the previous poster stated, I don't think you need a smart TV.

I have the Roku Stick which is as big as a thumb drive. It plugs into the back of your TV into an HDMI port and then streams "channels" via your WiFi. High speed internet is recommended. It's pretty easy to set up and use. It has apps like your cell phone - Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, SlingTV. There are thousands to choose from. Some are akin to local access cable with low quality, others like PBS, History, and Smithsonian are high quality. There is no monthly fee for the Roku. The only initial expense is the $35 for the stick. The cost comes from your apps. I have Amazon Prime since I order a lot of stuff from Amazon, so it comes to about $10 a month. Netflix is about $10 a month, Hulu is as cheap as $9 with commercials or $12 if you don't want commercials. Depending on you SlingTV package, it can run you anywhere from $20 a month to $40 a month. YouTube, PBS, and several other channels are free.

So, in a nutshell, I pay less than $50 a month for what I have and never run out of anything to watch.

Last edited by Beatles Guy; 02-02-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-03-2017, 01:17 PM
bnorth's Avatar
bnorth bnorth is online now
Ben North
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 3,487
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles Guy View Post
Sorry for the delayed response. As the previous poster stated, I don't think you need a smart TV.

I have the Roku Stick which is as big as a thumb drive. It plugs into the back of your TV into an HDMI port and then streams "channels" via your WiFi. High speed internet is recommended. It's pretty easy to set up and use. It has apps like your cell phone - Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, SlingTV. There are thousands to choose from. Some are akin to local access cable with low quality, others like PBS, History, and Smithsonian are high quality. There is no monthly fee for the Roku. The only initial expense is the $35 for the stick. The cost comes from your apps. I have Amazon Prime since I order a lot of stuff from Amazon, so it comes to about $10 a month. Netflix is about $10 a month, Hulu is as cheap as $9 with commercials or $12 if you don't want commercials. Depending on you SlingTV package, it can run you anywhere from $20 a month to $40 a month. YouTube, PBS, and several other channels are free.

So, in a nutshell, I pay less than $50 a month for what I have and never run out of anything to watch.
Thanks for the response. I did a bunch of research online and ended up buying a Amazon Fire TV Stick with the voice remote. From my understanding my Amazon account will give me access to several free channels and I can purchase any additional channels I want.
__________________
T210 Series 3 Ft Worth, looking for low end examples and especially ones with a Y shaped hole punch. I also have some extra T210's for trade.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 PM.


ebay GSB