NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-27-2017, 05:19 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMPEP View Post
How about Christmas rackpacks?

There are a few "legit" ones out there (by "legit" I mean made in the 1960s, not the 1990s on), but by a HUGE degree these are all fakes.

And people buy them everyday.

Full disclosure I own one. But I did get it for free and have no illusions that there is anything of value in it.

Cheers,
Patrick
Are the rack packs of little or no value because the cards are fake, or are you just taking it as a given that its been combed over in advance to simply be common pretty worthless cards? Or are they common cards in lousy condition. Just wondering. If you saw a rack pack with a card of some value face showing would you buy it?
Old 02-27-2017, 05:22 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

My only pet peeve at shows is the dual listed card phenomena "$500/$125" where the dude it telling me the book value of his ungraded card is worth $500 but out of the kindness of his heart he'll sell it to me a complete stranger for $125. Hell, why not. Of course the book value is for a PSA 7 and his will probably come back a 3.

I now read back and see others covered this. . . .

Last edited by Snapolit1; 02-27-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Are the rack packs of little or no value because the cards are fake, or are you just taking it as a given that its been combed over in advance to simply be common pretty worthless cards? Or are they common cards in lousy condition. Just wondering. If you saw a rack pack with a card of some value face showing would you buy it?
You rarely see any of the xmas packs with anything good showing.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:40 AM
Steve Birmingham

The Christmas racks are just repackaged stuff and even the older ones aren't great for condition. Usually way off center but otherwise nice. I bought one years ago just to have one, either a 58 or 59. It has a high number on the back, so it's not entirely junk. They bring some crazy prices though.

Real rack packs are entirely different.

And to get back on topic

Dealers with no prices on anything - more often than not it won't make me stop and ask, it'll make me keep walking.

The now rare overly attentive dealer. You know those guys- "Oh! an actual customer. Look at these 88 Donruss, they're about to become huge, and lemme look, I have some 87s around here too. Old cards you say? I have these 65 topps, they're near mint except for the creases and juice stains. Tobacco cards?! you mean like those redmen things? they're not in Beckett, and there aren't any nice screwdowns for them so I never bothered........"

Most of the rest has been covered already.

Steve B
Old 02-28-2017, 11:11 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

First show I went to (White Plains a few years back) some guy gave me the usual seller "let me know if you are interested in seeing anything" line and I responded with the usual potential buyer " . . . ok thanks . .. just looking for now..." Perfectly harmless pleasantries. Or so I thought. He then acted peeved and mumbled loudly "yeah, just just looking . . just looking . . . that's all I hear just looking." Idiot. Yeah, just looking, and not buying from someone who is going to mimic me. In the last year I could have bought and sold his measly table 15 times over on what I've spent on cards, but sorry for wasting your time bud.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicosbailbonds View Post
You rarely see any of the xmas packs with anything good showing.
While rare, every now and then a decent card such as a WL McCormick appears on the front of one of these holiday packs....not sure which is more rare, finding a WL McCormick or finding a card with some value appearing on the front of one of these holiday packs

If some dealer did "create" this pack at some point in an attempt to "trick"/defraud a collector, due to his lack of knowledge or inattention to detail he only shortchanged himself by (mistakenly) including a $500+ card in the pack.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 68 pack.jpg (82.2 KB, 269 views)

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 02-28-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:29 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
While rare, every now and then a decent card such as a WL McCormick appears on the front of one of these holiday packs....not sure which is more rare, finding a WL McCormick or finding a card with some value appearing on the front of one of these holiday packs

If some dealer did "create" this pack at some point, clearly he was not very knowledgeable and only shortchanged himself by (mistakenly) including a $500+ card in the pack.....
I would guess only a very very small percentage of collectors would know that the WL McCormisk has any value. That is one advantage of being an oddball error collector. Some very rare cards can be found in bargain bins.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:42 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistry/alltimeset.aspx?s=175000&ac=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I would guess only a very very small percentage of collectors would know that the WL McCormisk has any value. That is one advantage of being an oddball error collector. Some very rare cards can be found in bargain bins.
Plus a psa 2 just went for $168 bucks (yes the one in the rack could grade higher but just saying) with pwcc no less just a few weeks ago.

i assumed those packs go for more than' 168.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Topps-M...kAAOSwo4pYlPmK
Old 02-28-2017, 03:10 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
2. Well "book price" is $200 so I will sell you this vg card for $50.
This one is the most pervasive. However to try and be fair, I think it is more of an accepted expression, even though still inaccurate, where "book price" really means "book price in NM condition". So if that VG '50s Whitey Ford says $200 'in the book', the "book price" is closer to $50 (give or take).

Many variations on this, such as "it's a $200 card but you can have it for $50". No, it's a $50 card because of the slight crease and rough corners but I can have it at the $50 book price. Or "the card books for $200", etc etc.

At times, it really annoys me because it is not precise, but most of the times this affects me like water on a duck, especially with dealers I work with on a regular basis because we both know what we mean. But when I run into dealers that annoy me and they use this expression, I enjoy 'politely' pointing out that the book value of your '50s Ford is NOT $200 but rather $50. And if I have some off condition cards with me, I offer to sell them at a "much better than 50% off rate" from the "book price".

On another note....

One that used to happen more frequently years ago than now. The dealer would use one book (say, a recent Beckett) as a reference when 'selling' a card but another (say, and older SCD guide) when offering to buy cards.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:18 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
One that used to happen more frequently years ago than now. The dealer would use one book (say, a recent Beckett) as a reference when 'selling' a card but another (say, and older SCD guide) when offering to buy cards.
I remember that trick very well. High book to sell and low book to buy.