NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 04-29-2016, 01:23 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default Dee Gordon got 'Coached' !

Now let's see...barry bonds has been the Marlins' hitting coach how long?

One month's exposure to the 'coach' resulting in an 80-game ban for last year's batting champion*.

*- achieved without the 'coach'.

I think the use of asterisks will now be reversed, with 'clean' performances saddled with the mark. It will probably save overall typing strokes.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 04-29-2016, 08:05 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

I'm totally bummed about this guy. He had a good game and personality. I just picked up his 2008 autographed prospect card.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:37 AM
qu@n nguy3n

a marginal major leaguer with the dodgers, now a batting champ with a 5yr/50mil contract...well played dee!

the potential financial windfall is too great that the risk is totally worth it. dee was a AAAA player, who was looking at maybe $5-10mil career earning? i don't see why other fringe prospects and career minor leaguers wouldn't do this....either they make the show, or get kicked out and become police officers (which they'd end up doing washing out on their own anyways).
Old 04-29-2016, 09:53 AM

I just wish this guy and Colabello (another guy who couldn't crack an awful Twins line up who mysteriously hits 321 over night) wwould admit to what they did. They're both playing dumb. We get it guys, you weren't good enough. We all understand what's at stake. Just fess up already.

Last edited by packs; 04-29-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:06 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Dee Gordon

He has gained 30 pounds (appears to be all muscle) over the last 3 years that is not due to Bonds he put the bulk of that on before Bonds was made hitting coach.

Last edited by glynparson; 04-29-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:29 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I just wish this guy and Colabello (another guy who couldn't crack an awful Twins line up who mysteriously hits 321 over night) wwould admit to what they did. They're both playing dumb. We get it guys, you weren't good enough. We all understand what's at stake. Just fess up already.
Not telling the whole truth worked out awesome for former Twins bench warmer David Ortiz.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:25 PM

This is why the innocent are also the accused.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:34 PM

David Ortiz failed a drug test though. He is not innocent.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:53 PM
Jason Wells

I knew Bonds' name would turn up somewhere in all of this. Yes Dee Gordon has been slowly building bulk up for years before coming into contact with Bonds. Move on to another witch hunt already.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:09 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

His dirty test was from Spring Training. I doubt Bonds showed up and immediately convinced him he needed to stick a needle in his *ss...
Old 04-30-2016, 01:29 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Being a Jays fan I am obviously biased but I believe Collabello when he says he didn't intentionally take a banned substance.

Seems more and more, like the famous tennis player, that new drugs are put on this list that are now deemed as performance enhancing, but I can't help but also think, with what is put in our food/drink nowadays, that some of these steroids also get put in them?

I am all for drug testing and I detest the cheaters to no end, but I also think mistakes are made and/or these are getting into peoples bodies by other means than simply knowingly ingesting them.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...234308256.html
http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb...eking-answers/
Old 04-30-2016, 04:20 PM
qu@n nguy3n

when a career indepedent league guy couldn't get a look from an mlb club until his late 20's and was dfa'd by a couple teams suddenly had a great year in his early 30's...i'm gonna go with occam's razor for the explanation. keep digging for what could've caused this colabello like oj is still looking for nicole's murderer.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:48 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Damn, I thought this was about the Whitney Houston and daughter deaths.
As I thought the title was referring how Gordon was 'coached' into his statements to the media and live tv. 'insert his tears here' and spouting off at Bobby
My bad, his name was Nick Gordon.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 04-30-2016 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:46 PM

I was very disappointed when Collabello became part of all this. His long trail through to the majors through Independent League Baseball was a feel-good story.

Reminded me of seeing Greg Zaun in the Mitchell Report - After I had seen him 'Call His Shot' in the 1999 Hall-of-Fame Game (Yeah, he actually DID do it!!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Being a Jays fan I am obviously biased but I believe Collabello when he says he didn't intentionally take a banned substance.

Seems more and more, like the famous tennis player, that new drugs are put on this list that are now deemed as performance enhancing, but I can't help but also think, with what is put in our food/drink nowadays, that some of these steroids also get put in them?

I am all for drug testing and I detest the cheaters to no end, but I also think mistakes are made and/or these are getting into peoples bodies by other means than simply knowingly ingesting them.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 05-01-2016, 10:16 AM
Dave

80 games? I haven't kept up with the new guidelines. Does this mean he's been caught before and warned, or is this for 1st time offenses now?
Old 05-01-2016, 10:19 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post

Yeah, a part of me wonders if all the crap they put in livestock nowadays, eventually ends up in our bodies at testable levels.

Not saying that's what happened with these guys, just something I've thought about.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:58 AM
Jeff

As long as the reward far, far outweighs the risk - this is what you are going to have. 50 million dollars will pay for a lot of shame.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 05-02-2016, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Yeah, a part of me wonders if all the crap they put in livestock nowadays, eventually ends up in our bodies at testable levels.Not saying that's what happened with these guys, just something I've thought about.

Well, I do put a lot of livestock in my body, but I don't think I'm any stronger.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:42 AM

I encourage you and everyone else not to eat the poison they call food at the supermarket. Do yourself a favor and eat organic. Otherwise you're eating mutants.

Last edited by packs; 05-02-2016 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I encourage you and everyone else not to eat the poison they call food at the supermarket. Do yourself a favor and eat organic. Otherwise you're eating mutants.

- and they taste soooo good!

Old 05-02-2016, 03:43 PM

There's no arguing that.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:56 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Well, I do put a lot of livestock in my body, but I don't think I'm any stronger.

Hmmm, I swear I did not have inside information:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15...-positive-test
Old 05-03-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Hmmm, I swear I did not have inside information:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15...-positive-test

Truly spoken like a man who has never had mutant-berry stew...YUM!
- makes your teeth big and white and your skin green:

Old 05-03-2016, 09:20 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Quote:
I worked at a pioneering health food store for 4 years- don't fool yourself on the organics.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:00 AM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:
David Ortiz failed a drug test though. He is not innocent.
Bahahahahaahaha. Yet he is in the Boston/Public eye. I've never seen a bigger mouthed moronic, self-centered, egotistical player than him.

Many Boston writers have written on him and the fact he got a "free pass" on the whole steroid thing and should just shut his fat mouth and stop complaining. He thinks he's above the game for some reason.

Looks like the combination of grimace and a snapping turtle.

I couldn't stand Clemens, and Bonds, but god to I loathe Fat Sloppy.
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 05-04-2016, 09:40 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshchisox08 View Post
Bahahahahaahaha. Yet he is in the Boston/Public eye. I've never seen a bigger mouthed moronic, self-centered, egotistical player than him.

Many Boston writers have written on him and the fact he got a "free pass" on the whole steroid thing and should just shut his fat mouth and stop complaining. He thinks he's above the game for some reason.

Looks like the combination of grimace and a snapping turtle.

I couldn't stand Clemens, and Bonds, but god to I loathe Fat Sloppy.
A lot of guys that were probably positive before there was a solid testing program or for that matter, any at all got the same free pass. The guys like Bonds, Arod, and others continued to do stuff after the testing program got in place. I'll take ego over ego + stupidity.

Baseballs testing is pretty weak compared to other sports and even the insane testing in sports like cycling doesn't catch everyone. Those guys have to report even their off season plans, who they're training with and where and when. And have to notify the governing authority of any changes. Not doing that is considered a positive and usually gets a ban.

And pretty much every supermarket is full of stuff that Olympic level athletes can't eat.

Steve B
Old 05-04-2016, 11:36 AM
qu@n nguy3n

i don't believe bonds ever failed a mlb-sanctioned drug test? even though everybody knew he did it, it takes true conviction for the guy to keep lying up thru the judicial system and eventually beating the fed, that's narcissim to a whole 'nother level and you gotta admire that. he didn't cower behind the 5th amendment like mcgwire or acted like he just stepped off the boat like sosa...he gritted his teeth and lied straight to their faces!

it's a whacked world where dawson and jim rice are hof'ers and barry's not...but i digress. what where we talking about? arrieta on ped?
Old 05-04-2016, 12:03 PM

Didn't Bonds pay his trainer to languish in jail for years just so he could save his reputation? That's pretty low. Might even be worse than outright failing.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:55 PM
Jeff

No, you don't have to admire that.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

Old 05-04-2016, 02:56 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Didn't Bonds pay his trainer to languish in jail for years just so he could save his reputation? That's pretty low. Might even be worse than outright failing.
That was not money well spent, meaning he didn't save it.