NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-27-2004, 11:41 PM
Administrator

Default From the bottom of my heart, I believe

Posted By: Julie Vognar

that censorship is a horrible, horrible thing, and can lead to restriction of other freedoms, book burning, and other horrible things. That's all I got to say right now.

Old 05-28-2004, 12:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve k

Julie - a good lesson from WW2.

If Adolf ever collected Gestapo cards, it would be certain that the Goebbels Ministry of Grading would be sure to give each of his cards a Gem Mint 10, regardless of condition. - LOL

Old 05-28-2004, 06:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

or cutting off Nightline for honoring the dead, or trying to keep the public from knowing who was on the "energy task force" and what they said, etc.

or were wer discussing the deletion of asinine, off topic threads from here?

Old 05-28-2004, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Since this a political thread and I am so politically correct. I watched the Nick beheading thing....it made my stomach turn. Should it be censored? No, in my opinion. Kind of like those that don't believe there was a Holocaust. Whenever I see censorship I think of a few things. The ole ostrich in the sand and the emperor ain't wearing no cloths. (not sure why the last one just came to mind....probably too early and coffee overload).....breast regards

Old 05-28-2004, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

...or John Kerry trying to keep the public from knowing what his real positions are(maybe he doesn't know until the next poll comes out)

Old 05-28-2004, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

a vote for Bush from Darien, CT................or maybe Nader?

Old 05-28-2004, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

warshawlaw, I would even extend my hatred of censorship to censorship of assinine, off-topic threads on the Forum. Censorship is a bad road to go down. There is only one post ever made on this board that I thought should be censored, and that was because it hurt somebody--in ADDITION to being assinine and off topic! Two guys fighting about grading or the legitimacy of a card doesn't hurt anybody...and how much space does one thread take up?

Couple of years ago, or less, you all decided (because of my clumsy posting) that I should be enshrined in the KKK--and i couldn't even get to a computer all day, because someone else was using it for something important. It made me mad as hell (and even hurt some)--but it wasn't off topic or assinine. Probably, to this day, if any of you still think of it, some of you STILL think "White Citizen's Council." (see, I COULDN'T belong to the KKK, because I'm a Jew!)...even though I did get to defend myself eventually. I STILL wouldn't have had it censored!

Old 05-28-2004, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: hop373

Voltaire would be very proud of you, Julie. More people need to remember that the principal of Free speech is everything this country is based on....and both sides of the spectrum and the politically correct seem to not understand this.

Old 05-28-2004, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve k

All forums tend to have a few off-topic threads during a holiday. I took Julie's post as a reference to the upcoming Memorial Day Holiday and some good, deep thoughts about some things that our country's soldiers have fought and died for to protect. To all of our Armed Services Veterans both living and deceased - THANK YOU!

Old 05-28-2004, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

If several topics get highjacked for interpersonal bashing, that is misuse of the topic based posting, and generally is too far off the original topic. Having those posts deleted saves me the time of skipping them.

If a bash topic is started, it must remain, because it hasn't been highjacked. Removal of that would be censorship.

I think there is a fine line, here, the difference is censorship vs. stewardship. Subtle, but it can't be ignored.

Dave

Old 05-28-2004, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

is a thread turning into a fight. I guess what you would call a "bash thread" is one that begins something like "Joe Schmoe blows." Well, interesting. We love fights in hockey games, and we like them in baseball games (unless someone gets seriously hurt), but it's no fun in a thread?

Rules of combat and the Geneva Convention should of course still apply...of course...