NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-25-2008, 06:01 AM
Administrator

Default O/T series info on Susini Cuban cards?

Posted By: Dave F

I posted originally on the Non-sports forum and unfortunately haven't seen much of anything pop up there yet so figured I'd use my one O/T here and see if anyone would have any info on this set.

Curious if anyone knows much about the Susini Cuban cards from around 1915-1916? I have found very little info on it to this point. How many cards are on the set? How rare are they? Does anyone know of complete sets in existance? I know a bit about the few baseball examples in the set...but curious what the values are on the other cards in the set, such as the military cards, presidential, actresses, transportation, etc. What would values be in poor to good condition? Any help would be appreciated!

Here is what is printed on the backs-

Old 09-25-2008, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

I don't know much about them except that there are three baseball related cards. Cards are number 202, 203 and 204. FKW may chime in as he has some knowledge of these cards.

From my collection:

Top: Murray batting
Middle: Speaker at bat
Bottom: Sliding

Old 09-25-2008, 07:19 AM
Administrator

Thanks Steve. Yup, those were relatively easy to find info on. The other cards in the set, not so much. I've come into a few so trying to figure out what I'm getting exactly, info on them including scarcity and value.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Shawn

Dave,

Apparently this set is quite rare... As I have been trying to find you some info and that is a task in itself. This set does include a Jack Johnson boxing card and one other boxing, 4 wrestling, tennis, golf, dirigible(zepplin), etc. Would love to see what you have.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Steve,

Can you post back scans of those baseball cards you posted?

Old 09-25-2008, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Representative back. 202, 203 and 204 all have the same back.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Funny thing is the backs may not even matter so much for me. They are in an album and without having it in hand yet who knows if they are removeable. Maybe worth more anyway as is...I don't know. Here is an example of the fronts anyway.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Second photo, upper top left card. What sport does it represent?

Old 09-25-2008, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Steve-

No idea yet. From the photo it looks to me it could be golf, but total guess.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Shawn-

Second photo top right, is that the Jack Johnson card?

Old 09-25-2008, 08:33 AM
Administrator

That is the Jack Johnson! Nice rare card... Nice pick-up

Old 09-25-2008, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Mohler

I don't know if there is any jai alai cards, but the game was pretty popular back then. If there are any mystery sports cards, that may be the game that is being depicted.

The aguilitas sets from the mid '20's have jai alai player cards.

Jeff

Old 09-25-2008, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

Hey Dave,

Check this out...I didn't read all of the responses but there might be some more useful info. I have the football one and have never seen anything published regarding value.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/message/1218723751/Questions+regarding+the+N230+Susini+issue

Old 09-25-2008, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Did a little ebay search "susini" and here are a number of these cards listed in the ebay stores. Not many sports but many of the others. Prices for the non-sports were around $3. There are some odd ball sports such sa lawnhockey and I think that one was about $40.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the info so far guys. Looks like there is all kinds of different things in this set. Here are a couple more different subjects.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Interesting in the last pic Steve in the "modes or methods" of transportation whichever it is how there are some color toned cards like your baseball subjects. I wonder why there is the difference.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:41 AM
Administrator

I found these... Relating to the wrestling cards. It states that this is a 1300 card set. I copied the verbiage and attached a link below. You can click on two of the cards and see the image.
As to the ones on Ebay, most appear to be (not all) of a later date "1920s", I think yours or perhaps the 1915 series has the white caption on the bottom.

http://x-titles.com/wc/years/1910-1919/index.html

1915 - (N230) Henry Clay and Bock & Co., Susini Album Universal (Cuba) - #219 (wrestling scene) (image)
1915 - (N230) Henry Clay and Bock & Co., Susini Album Universal (Cuba) - #220 (wrestling scene) (image)
1915 - (N230) Henry Clay and Bock & Co., Susini Album Universal (Cuba) - #221 (wrestling scene)
1915 - (N230) Henry Clay and Bock & Co., Susini Album Universal (Cuba) - #223 Luchardores Japoneses (wrestling scene)
Note: Tobacco premium. Album cards from 1300-card set. Distributed in packs of Susini and Ovalades cigarettes.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Dave, I'm told that they do come in colorized and black and white as evidenced in the pickup. Appears as though the sports are all colorized. They are nice!

Old 09-25-2008, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Shawn-

Good info thanks. Wondering if there is a price difference in the two sets? I would assume then the 1915? set is a little more scarce?

1300 cards in the set...whew.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JW

Hello. I primarily collect golf cards and here is my lone golf example from the set. I am not for sure of the year, but a golf book listed it as a 1927 - Clay and Bock – Album Universal.
Thanks,
Jason

Old 09-25-2008, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Jason-

Do you have a scan of the back? Cool card.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:19 AM
Administrator

Jason-

Funny, after looking I actually have that golf card. I'd still be interested to see what is on the back of yours..could be from two different sets if the back is different as you said you think yours is 1927 and not 1915.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JW

I don't have a scan, but my back matches Steve's SPORT back from above. My card is also number 210 in the set, if I remember correctly. I looked at the golf book again last night and the year is actually '1927?' in the book. So I don't think they were even sure of the year.
Jason

Old 09-26-2008, 08:36 AM
Administrator

I'm no fashion maven but the golfer's garb looks more to the 20's than the teens.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Jason-

I believe then that the card is somewhere between 1910-1919, 1915 keeps coming up alot. I know my buddy Shawn was tracking down info on the net as he is alot better than me at doing that and hopefully he'll chime in with a closer date. From what I've seen there was this set and then one other set produced in the early 1920's also from the Henry Clay & Bock Co but I believe that set has Henry Clay printed on the back.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Administrator

I spent this afternoon running through the pages in this album. Just an amazing collection of every sort of subject you can think of. Tris Speaker to Jack Johnson to George Washington to Darwin to Steamboats to The Wright Bros Airplane to a pile of human skulls and on and on. Once I get things somewhat organized I will update with a few pics. Curious with all the different events and things in the set if it can be for sure narrowed down on a 1915 date or not.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:26 PM
Administrator

A few pics. There are actually 940 in this album so it would take forever to scan each one. The baseball varieties are in the first scan. Still would love it if someone could tell from the boats or planes perhaps what year this could be for sure.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Wow, Dave...

940 cards! I see you have the three baseball ones. I wonder if in the book in the front or back or perhaps the text next to the page with the cards if there is a date? I have tried to figure out who the golf guy is but cannot even get a bite. Does the album describe each card on the page across from it?

Also if you post the new photos you have over on the non-sports forum, maybe someone will "finally" reply. I am not sure what is wrong with that bunch over there, but maybe they simply have not heard of this set?

Old 09-28-2008, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

There is a checklist for the celebrity section only. None of the other sections of the album have any reference at all to a checklist or identification. An example of the celebrity checklist is below.

Also something strange was the second picture below. It was loose inside the album. I'm assuming its some sort of poem. It has the same type border around the paper as what is in the album. The "poem" has a date on the bottom of 1918. Not sure if this would perhaps be the exact time of the series or maybe a poem produced a couple years later...just weird it has the same border.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:22 AM
Administrator

Dave,

The more I look into this set, the more i believe it is from around 1910-1915... Here is a back photo of one from a later issue of which you can find on ebay. The actress and movie series "1920s" of which actually states Henry Clay & Bock. I think the Henry Co. bought the Susini Co. around 1915 and produced the album for the cards you have. Later fading them out and introducing there own cards??? It is very difficult to find anything on the cards you have! I can find plenty on the later 1920s Movie star cards of which your album does not even have a section for.

One question, What is the last card number in your album? 1300??

Thanks

Old 09-29-2008, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

He was heavyweight champion of the British Empire and a white hope of the Jack Johnson era.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 09-29-2008, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the info Adam, I was not aware he was a heavyweight champ.

Shawn I don't have the album in front of me and can't recall now if it was exactly 1300 or a bit more or less in the album.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Last off-topic post about this, but did want to thank those that have emailed me about this set and have helped in guiding the way towards an appropriate way to sell the cards. They will be in the November Philip Weiss auction (that auction will also feature a T206 Wagner SGC 40 which should be interesting). Obviously with this being predominately nonsport it was highly recommended that Phil's auction would be the best route, so we shall see.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:56 PM
Administrator

If Phillip Weiss has these cards, does this mean we will be seeing them on the "Antiques Roadshow"? Ha!