NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 05-10-2018, 05:19 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Betts the best bet this week.
Gregorious not so much
Old 06-05-2018, 03:47 AM
Barry Sloate

Aaron Judge struck out 8 times yesterday in a doubleheader, I believe a new major league record. That is just brutal.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:47 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Aaron Judge struck out 8 times yesterday in a doubleheader, I believe a new major league record. That is just brutal.
Joe DiMaggio once struck out 13 times in a SEASON. Remarkable.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:35 AM
Barry Sloate

I know Peter. There was a time when players took pride in making contact and not striking out. Today, they don't even care. They can strike out 150 times a season as long as they are still otherwise productive. It is among the most dramatic ways the game has changed.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:50 AM
Peter Spaeth

It looks to me like the OP has lost interest in his own thread.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:14 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
It looks to me like the OP has lost interest in his own thread.
Hardly.

Monthly updates during the dawg days of summer seem sufficient.

Sabermetric scholars and riff raff will keep this important thread alive without my constant prodding.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:05 AM
Peter Spaeth

So who's ahead? Riff raff want to know.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:15 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Ramirez now leads Betts 45 to 43.

Judge and Stanton remain neck and neck at -19 and -24.

I think someone will strikeout 250 times this season.

Post #1 has been updated.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:37 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Joe DiMaggio once struck out 13 times in a SEASON. Remarkable.

IMO, much too much is made about how few strikeouts there were in previous eras or by previous hitters.

The approach to hitting, to pitching and to the game are all very different.

ONLY in the most general examination are those statistics in anyway comparable.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 06-05-2018, 11:42 AM
Peter Spaeth

What's different that it results in more strikeouts? We're not talking the deadball era in comparison, we're talking the 1930s in DiMaggio's case. One year he hit 46 HR and fanned 37 times, not like he wasn't trying to drive the ball.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-05-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
What's different that it results in more strikeouts?

You're Kidding?

Where do I start?

1) with the advent of regular relief pitching, starters no longer pace themselves, and can, instead, use more power pitches later in their five or six innings...and conservatively 95% of them throw 95MPH with some regularlarity. Even their breaking pitches are faster than previous era's fastballs.

2.) Those same starters are replaced by specialized relievers tasked to face only three or even one batter...with the same all-out approach as the starters. And 95% of them also throw 95MPH regularly with several now topping triple-digits.

3.) George H. Ruth's contribution's to the game has taken over almost completely as the one true goal of every hitter. In that effort, strikeouts are now accepted, in bunches, as long as some eventually contact is the result. The best Contracts are now created at the sweet spot, not at the end of the bat.

4.) The advent of drastic defensive shifts used with full knowledge of the all-or-nothing hitting approach where hitters are, almost to a man, totally predictable. Gone are the days when hitters hit against the shift. Gone are those trying to be Tony Gwynn (mister 5.5) with all instead emulating the other San Diego native's approach in the 1948 World Series.

5.) Stadium walls are created to encourage all of this, being made just high enough to allow for heroic defensive efforts, while being close enough to allow many 'cheapies'.

6.) Sports channels' highlight reels are almost always headed by continuous homerun replays.

Peter- Is that enough?

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 06-05-2018, 12:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

Having checked the stats, home run totals are way up overall despite the much tougher pitching you reference. So I am thinking maybe the biggest factor is that batters are swinging for the fences much more and accordingly striking out more.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Having checked the stats, home run totals are way up overall despite the much tougher pitching you reference. So I am thinking maybe the biggest factor is that batters are swinging for the fences much more and accordingly striking out more.

During DiMaggio's 13 seasons there were only 19 100 strikeout seasons (3 by brother Vince).

In the last 10 seasons (2008 when Mark Reynolds set the record with 223 through last season), there have been 53 175 strikeout seasons; 20 of which were 195 or more; 10 with 200 or more.

During DiMaggio's career, 78 strikeouts would get you in the top 10 EVERY season, while Joey Gallo already has 85 this season.

What I'm trying to illustrate is that not only are strikeouts much more common these days, they really weren't that many during DiMaggio's career and for a great hitter to have only 13 strikeouts in a full season, which outstanding, wasn't THAT outstanding given the state of the game back then. It would be comparable to maybe 60-75 strikeouts today.

Last edited by clydepepper; 06-05-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:48 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
During DiMaggio's 13 seasons there were only 19 100 strikeout seasons (3 by brother Vince).

In the last 10 seasons (2008 when Mark Reynolds set the record with 223 through last season), there have been 53 175 strikeout seasons; 20 of which were 195 or more; 10 with 200 or more.

During DiMaggio's career, 78 strikeouts would get you in the top 10 EVERY season, while Joey Gallo already has 85 this season.

What I'm trying to illustrate is that not only are strikeouts much more common these days, they really weren't that many during DiMaggio's career and for a great hitter to have only 13 strikeouts in a full season, which outstanding, wasn't THAT outstanding given the state of the game back then. It would be comparable to maybe 60-75 strikeouts today.

Contacting the baseball with a bat requires a modicum of talent regardless of the era. DiMaggio should not be belittled.

When Judge hits 100 homeruns and strikes out 500 times, you will be watching homerun derby, not baseball.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:31 AM
Barry Sloate

I think it's important to put the ball in play. Fly outs and ground outs often advance runners and score runs. It's a part of the game.

Strikeouts lead to nothing but killed rallies. Yes, I know home runs are way up, but IMO the sheer number of strikeouts are unacceptable. And I realize there are those who say it doesn't matter. That's fine. As a fan watching games , I find strikeouts boring.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I think it's important to put the ball in play. Fly outs and ground outs often advance runners and score runs. It's a part of the game.

Strikeouts lead to nothing but killed rallies. Yes, I know home runs are way up, but IMO the sheer number of strikeouts are unacceptable. And I realize there are those who say it doesn't matter. That's fine. As a fan watching games , I find strikeouts boring.

Good only for pitchers.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:33 AM
Peter Spaeth

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...uts/718162002/

Old 06-30-2018, 11:24 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

The Dinger Whiff Derby is heating up approaching the All Star Break. The 6/30 update is posted in the first post.

So far there are zero entries as the dead line approaches, but it's not too late.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

Moncada has 10 HR and 116K. How is he not the leader on the negative side. Or are you not tracking that.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-01-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:13 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Moncada has 10 HR and 116K. How is he not the leader on the negative side. Or are you not tracking that.
Be both a leader and a loser, Peter.

Please track this for Dinger Whiff fans everywhere.

Great post!!!

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:26 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Update posted through Friday’s games.

Ramirez is pulling away from the field, now leading Betts by 21.

Waiting for Judge or Stanton to make their move.

Judge leads Giancarlo by 10, but would need 26 HRs without striking out to tie Martinez for the current lead.

Both Judge and Stanton are closer to Moncado in last then they are to the lead.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:57 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Make a list of the top 10 all time in Ks and dinger/whiffs. I bet they are quite close. Which would not be true at all for batters comparing HRs to dinger/whiffs.
Blyleven is very high on career K and HR allowed lists Bet his dinger whiff ranking is considerably worse than his K ranking

EDIT: His DW is under 2k

EDIT #2: Blyleven is 5th on all time K list

4th is Carlton with a DW of 2480

6th is Seaver with a DW of 2120

So Blyleven at least moves down some from his K ranking
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 07-28-2018 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:15 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Blyleven is very high on career K and HR allowed lists Bet his dinger whiff ranking is considerably worse than his K ranking

EDIT: His DW is under 2k

EDIT #2: Blyleven is 5th on all time K list

4th is Carlton with a DW of 2480

6th is Seaver with a DW of 2120

So Blyleven at least moves down some from his K ranking

Remember that Dinger Whiff is a zero sum game for pitchers and batters.

For every Moncado out there, there is a pitcher with a healthy Dinger Whiff Number.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:58 PM
Peter Spaeth

LOL in 1986 Blyleven gave up 50 HR that's insane. His previous high was 24. And just to prove it wasn't a fluke he gave up 46 more in 1987. I like him well enough but I think the sabremetrics overrate him, no way IMO is he the 16th best pitcher of all time which is what Baseball Reference ranks him.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-29-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:58 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

The season is over.

Jose Ramirez (39 HRs and 80 Ks) has a Dinger Whiff number of +76 so Jose wins the 2018 Dinger Whiff Crown.

Aaron Judge found out a fool proof way to avoid 200 whiffs this year by sitting out quite a few games (~40) in August and September. Stanton, however, will reach the over 200 plateau and remains in a close battle with Moncada for the league lead. Currently Stanton leads Moncada by one, 199 to 198.

Of course Aaron's HR total suffered as well with a mere 26 currently. You be the Judge. Recreation of the Yankee Maris/Mantle HR Derby of 1961 did not materialize with the addition of Stanton to Judge in the lineup.

Since there will be no Net54 winner in the inaugural Dinger Whiff Derby, its future for next season looks bleak. Don't despair though for the Rbioty Lottery is just around the corner.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 10-05-2018 at 01:06 PM.