NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-30-2016, 08:48 PM
Kin K.

Default Vintage Racing?

I've taken a look around and can't find a place that might have any vintage racing, whether in a B/S/T or a general talk area. I know interest is limited, but thought I'd see if anyone had an answer and could guide me.

I've picked up a few T36 cards so far and just a few of the 1960's Indianapolis 500 cards.

If anyone knows anything, help is greatly appreciated!

-kin
Old 03-30-2016, 11:03 PM
Rob

Default T227

Here's a T227 Mulford. I have a lot from the Auto Drivers series and will try and post some scans later in the week. I guess the Soccer/Golf/Cricket section might be a good place to add auto and horse racing cards...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t227mulford661.jpg (52.7 KB, 1761 views)
File Type: jpg t227mulfordb662.jpg (68.7 KB, 1756 views)
Old 03-31-2016, 08:53 AM
Kin K.

Didn't even know about these cards. I'm still new in the vintage area. Thanks for that info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Here's a T227 Mulford. I have a lot from the Auto Drivers series and will try and post some scans later in the week. I guess the Soccer/Golf/Cricket section might be a good place to add auto and horse racing cards...
Old 03-31-2016, 09:14 AM
Bry@n

This is not mine, but I have always thought that this was about as cool of a crossover vintage baseball/vintage racing item as you can get (and maybe the only one!):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-1920s-C...MAAOSwGYVW~JC8
Old 03-31-2016, 09:31 AM
pariah1107

I collect central Washington racing photos, memorabilia, and programs (moslty from the CWJRA 1946-1967). Here's an image of the "Ole Death Car" driven by Robert Zylstra 1936 Central Washington Fairgrounds (Yakima, WA).

Old 03-31-2016, 12:24 PM

While I do not collect the trading cards produced of Indianapolis 500 cars and drivers, nor the English tobacco card inserts of racing greats (Tazio Nuvolari and John Cobb come to mind), I sure respect you guys for doing so. Racers and the bigger stars, the cars, have always had a huge pull on the sporting world.

Before I got interested in baseball cards, I became enraptured with the beauty of collecting Dinky Toys, 1/43rd scale model cars of the real thing, in the late 1950s. They began as O scale train accessories, but the public and especially children loved them so much just for themselves. A whole new collecting niche spawned. In time, frustrated collectors yearned for, demanded, and got, 1/43rd scale metal and resin model cars of the actual Indy cars, racing sports cars, Grand Prix racers, and Stock Cars that fluttered their heart, and moved them with the same passion as any baseball card ever could!

Here's hoping you chaps get many more responses from other interested collectors, as well as those who don't care for them, but happen to have some that belonged to their father or grandfather that they'd be willing to part with for the right price.

Regards, Brian Powell
Old 04-04-2016, 04:25 PM
Kin K.

That is pretty cool! Since there isn't a lot of vintage racing out there, I've started taking an interest in post cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
This is not mine, but I have always thought that this was about as cool of a crossover vintage baseball/vintage racing item as you can get (and maybe the only one!):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-1920s-C...MAAOSwGYVW~JC8
Old 04-04-2016, 10:42 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvu_class_of_2001 View Post
That is pretty cool! Since there isn't a lot of vintage racing out there, I've started taking an interest in post cards.
If you keep an eye out on eBay, you can pick up some old postcards of some huge names in NASCAR for next to nothing. I don't have the listings saved in my eBay watch list anymore, but a few months ago, there were postcard listings from the 1960s of Fireball Roberts, Joe Weatherly, Ned Jarrett, Lee and Richard Petty, etc. that sold for under $50 each at auction. Old postcards from the 1960s of NASCAR stars do show up from time to time on eBay.

There was also a 1980 Dale Earnhardt postcard of him with the Rod Osterlund car that sold for just over $100 a couple months ago on eBay. That pre-dates his SportsStar Photo-Graphics and UNO cards by several years, but sells for much less than his SSPG card or even a high-grade MAXX card of Earnhardt.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DALE-EARNHAR...IAAOSwKtlWpXJ-

Last edited by Bored5000; 04-04-2016 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:17 AM
Kin K.

One of these is a part of the REA auction...well, it's barely started and already out of my stratosphere.

1912 T227 "Series of Champions" Car, Horse, and Motorboat Racing PSA-Graded Collection (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
T206/T213 Scoops Carey back run: 4/4 !00% complete

Focus: open wheel/Indy 500 cards (1911 ATC Auto Drivers (T36), 1954 Stark & Wetzel 500 Winners, 1960 Parkhurst Indy Speedway Winners & 1960s Marhoefer Indy 500), match books & post cards.

Successful purchases from dnanln, pre1960sets, jp1216 & sebie43; RAKs from CW & LuckyLarry
Old 10-12-2016, 01:05 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
One of these is a part of the REA auction...well, it's barely started and already out of my stratosphere.

1912 T227 "Series of Champions" Car, Horse, and Motorboat Racing PSA-Graded Collection (4)
Kin, if you keep an eye out, the Mulford card from the T227 set does pop up at a more reasonable price from time to time. All four of the cards in that REA lot are either the"highest graded" for that particular card or tied for "highest graded" honors for that particular card. A couple registry collectors are most likely what is driving up the price of that lot.

Last edited by Bored5000; 10-15-2016 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:35 PM
Kin K.

I missed out on one a couple of months ago that was in my sweet spot. Got the eBay email but when I saw it and clicked, it had sold. Alas.

-kin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
Kin, if you keep an eye out, the Mulford card from the T227 set does pop up at a more reasonable price from time to time. All four of the cards in that REA lot are either the"highest graded" for that particular card or tied for "highest graded" honors for that particular card. A couple registry collectors are most likely what is driving up the price of that lot.

Focus: open wheel/Indy 500 cards (1911 ATC Auto Drivers (T36), 1954 Stark & Wetzel 500 Winners, 1960 Parkhurst Indy Speedway Winners & 1960s Marhoefer Indy 500), match books & post cards.

Successful purchases from dnanln, pre1960sets, jp1216 & sebie43; RAKs from CW & LuckyLarry
Old 05-19-2017, 08:42 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

I won the lot of Marhoefer Meats Indy cards at Sterling Auctions earlier this morning. The lot is actually a mix of 1962 and '63 cards (the distinguishing feature is the shape and location of the driver portrait on each card). The cards all show stains/discolorations from being included in packs of hot dogs. All the cards present poor to fair, but the big pick-up in the lot is a 1962 A.J. Foyt Marhoefer card. Foyt's card is one of the nicer cards in the lot.

I have wanted a Foyt Marhoefer card for a while now. There has been a beat up, hot dog stained Foyt Marhoefer card on eBay for a while now at the museum price of $795. Even with the hot dog stains, I am happy to pick up a Foyt Marhoefer card for a little over $100; they just don't come available very often.

There are nicer, unstained Marhoefer cards in the hobby that were presumably given out as hand outs and not placed in product packages. But like I said, any Foyt Marhoefer card has been on my want list for a while now. Marhoefer cards in general rarely appear at auction, and the same cards sit on eBay forever at sky-high BINs. The Foyt card on eBay is priced about 10 times what it would sell for at auction in that condition.

http://www.sterlingsportsauctions.co...-LOT39749.aspx

Last edited by Bored5000; 05-19-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:21 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
I've taken a look around and can't find a place that might have any vintage racing, whether in a B/S/T or a general talk area. I know interest is limited, but thought I'd see if anyone had an answer and could guide me.

I've picked up a few T36 cards so far and just a few of the 1960's Indianapolis 500 cards.

If anyone knows anything, help is greatly appreciated!

-kin
I have been a huge racing fan my entire life. My parents took me to my first dirt-track race when i was just a few months old and racing has always been a huge part of my family.

I assume you are talking the Marhoefer Meats sets of Indy cards from the 1960s?

I am not sure what you consider "vintage" as far as racing cards go. But I have had some iconic racing cards on my want list for a while now. It's tough because the same cards sit on eBay forever as BINs and the major cards rarely to never pop up at all.

I have looked for a while now for an A.J. Foyt Marhoefer's card at auction, but I never even see a Foyt card for sale individually from the set. Same thing for the iconic cards from the landmark 1972 STP NASCAR set. The same cards sit on eBay forever (Buddy Baker, Elmo Langley, Dave Marcis), but Richard Petty, Bobby Allison and Fred Lorenzen virtually never pop up. Lorenzen with car from the 1972 STP set is one of the all-time great rarities of all racing cards, to the point that there was some doubt as to whether or not it was even distributed at all up until a few years ago.

I was the underbidder on a 1986 Dale Earnhardt SportsStar Photographics card on eBay a few weeks ago. That is one of the iconic racing cards to be had. It is scarce, but it at least pops up more than the cards I mentioned previously.

Stark and Wetzel also produced a series of Indy cards in the mid 1950s. There are a bunch of them on eBay that have been there for a long time as BINs.

But, yea, it is a difficult process trying to find vintage racing cards of big name drivers -- anything that predates the 1988 MAXX era of overproduction.

Last edited by Bored5000; 03-31-2016 at 01:23 AM.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:23 PM
Kin K.

I'm certainly intrigued and someday would like to complete sets like the 1911 ATC (T36), 1960 Hawes Wax Indy, 1954 Stark & Wetzel and definitely the Marhoefer set.

I've definitely noticed what you say about cards sitting on eBay. I have recently bought two of the Ralph DePalmas. I won two others at auction, for much less than the "asking" prices of the others. I will definitely take my time on it.

Thank you for the info on the Foyt Marhoefer card. I have only been looking for a couple of months, but have been waiting to it (alone) to come available. Looks like I will be waiting awhile.

Quote:
I have been a huge racing fan my entire life. My parents took me to my first dirt-track race when i was just a few months old and racing has always been a huge part of my family.

I assume you are talking the Marhoefer Meats sets of Indy cards from the 1960s?

I am not sure what you consider "vintage" as far as racing cards go. But I have had some iconic racing cards on my want list for a while now. It's tough because the same cards sit on eBay forever as BINs and the major cards rarely to never pop up at all.

I have looked for a while now for an A.J. Foyt Marhoefer's card at auction, but I never even see a Foyt card for sale individually from the set. Same thing for the iconic cards from the landmark 1972 STP NASCAR set. The same cards sit on eBay forever (Buddy Baker, Elmo Langley, Dave Marcis), but Richard Petty, Bobby Allison and Fred Lorenzen virtually never pop up. Lorenzen with car from the 1972 STP set is one of the all-time great rarities of all racing cards, to the point that there was some doubt as to whether or not it was even distributed at all up until a few years ago.

I was the underbidder on a 1986 Dale Earnhardt SportsStar Photographics card on eBay a few weeks ago. That is one of the iconic racing cards to be had. It is scarce, but it at least pops up more than the cards I mentioned previously.

Stark and Wetzel also produced a series of Indy cards in the mid 1950s. There are a bunch of them on eBay that have been there for a long time as BINs.

But, yea, it is a difficult process trying to find vintage racing cards of big name drivers -- anything that predates the 1988 MAXX era of overproduction.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:04 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
I'm certainly intrigued and someday would like to complete sets like the 1911 ATC (T36), 1960 Hawes Wax Indy, 1954 Stark & Wetzel and definitely the Marhoefer set.

I've definitely noticed what you say about cards sitting on eBay. I have recently bought two of the Ralph DePalmas. I won two others at auction, for much less than the "asking" prices of the others. I will definitely take my time on it.

Thank you for the info on the Foyt Marhoefer card. I have only been looking for a couple of months, but have been waiting to it (alone) to come available. Looks like I will be waiting awhile.
I forgot to mention the Hawes Wax set in my earlier posts. The Hawes Wax set and the Stark & Wetzel set are both great looking sets, but cards rarely come up for auction from either set. The same cards just sit on eBay forever as BINs from the same one or two sellers.

In recent years, I have developed an interest in some of the iconic racing cards/sets and non-sports cards because many iconic/extremely rare vintage baseball cards are out of my price range. This is not a criticism at all of anyone who collects T206s or '33 Goudeys or '52 Topps baseball cards. Everyone should collect what they like. But I get as much of a thrill at finding a really rare card that might only be worth $200-300 as someone gets from buying a T206 Cobb or a '33 Goudey Ruth that is easy to find.

I saw that a DePalma T36 card sold recently on eBay. I did not realize you were the buyer.

Last edited by Bored5000; 04-09-2016 at 04:08 AM.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:16 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Hopefully, I don't jink myself, but I am stoked. I don't have the card in hand yet (obviously), but I picked up one of the cards near the top of my want list on Monday night -- a 1972 Richard Petty card from the STP set. The Petty card is not quite as rare as some of the other iconic cards we have discussed earlier (PSA has graded 10 of them without an autograph and another 12 Petty STP cards that have been autographed), but this was the first '72 Petty STP card I have seen on eBay in several years. The '72 STP set is a great looking set, but about half the cards never appear for sale.

I have never seen an Allison, Glotzbach, Brooks or Lorenzen with car '72 STP card for sale on eBay. More and more people kept "watching" the listing on eBay as time went by on Monday. I was hoping I didn't screw myself by putting in a best offer instead of buying the card as a BIN.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152039963594...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Last edited by Bored5000; 04-04-2016 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:50 PM
Kin K.

Congrats on the pickup!

Quote:
Hopefully, I don't jink myself, but I am stoked. I don't have the card in hand yet (obviously), but I picked up one of the cards near the top of my want list on Monday night -- a 1972 Richard Petty card from the STP set. The Petty card is not quite as rare as some of the other iconic cards we have discussed earlier (PSA has graded 10 of them without an autograph and another 12 Petty STP cards that have been autographed), but this was the first '72 Petty STP card I have seen on eBay in several years. The '72 STP set is a great looking set, but about half the cards never appear for sale.

I have never seen an Allison, Glotzbach, Brooks or Lorenzen with car '72 STP card for sale on eBay. More and more people kept "watching" the listing on eBay as time went by on Monday. I was hoping I didn't screw myself by putting in a best offer instead of buying the card as a BIN.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152039963594...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 05-24-2019, 01:11 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Looking forward to Sunday with the Indy 500 and Coca-Cola 600 always a great day of racing on TV!

My mother was such a fan of the Indy 500. When I was a kid (I'm 65) I remember the race was on Monday (Memorial Day) and was only broadcast on the radio. So we would listen to the race live on the radio, then on Saturday the race was on Wide World of Sports on TV. At least that's my memory lol!

So I'll have my TV tuned to the races, and for good measure I'll have the radio feed streaming out by the pool. It's going to be sunny and hot here in NE Florida so Sunday should be a great day!

Larry
Old 05-20-2020, 11:34 AM

Default Looking for info

Anyone know anything about these cards? I have 11 different drivers; not sure if there are others or not. They measure 4" x 5.5" and are heavy, thick paper but not ball card stock.

Old 05-20-2020, 07:51 PM
Kin K.

Wish I could help with this, but I know nothing. Can't wait to see if someone else does.

-kin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Anyone know anything about these cards? I have 11 different drivers; not sure if there are others or not. They measure 4" x 5.5" and are heavy, thick paper but not ball card stock.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:13 PM
Scott M.

Don't know how I missed this thread until now but, since its been brought back to the top, I have to post the following Richard Petty item. My father was a huge Petty fan so I became one as well growing up.

The picture is from a 1971 race won by Petty that my father took our family to back when they raced at Trenton, NJ. My father took the photo at the end of the race when Pettys car was in victory lane. Sometime during the 1980s I found an address for Petty Enterprises and sent it hoping to get it signed.

It wasn't long before it came back with Pettys unmistakable autograph along with a nice note that seeing the photo brought back good memories as he enjoyed racing at that track before it was closed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Petty_Autograph_1.JPG (77.4 KB, 364 views)

Last edited by phlflyer1; 05-20-2020 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:23 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

I am glad to see the thread coming back to life. I don't have any information to add on the Andretti card that Justus posted. The card looks like some kind of handout to hype the Champ Car race at Pocono that year.

I was able to find a site online that showed nine of the cards, but does not list any other information.

http://3-2-1indycar.blogspot.com/201...ck-friday.html

To me, the most interesting driver depicted on a card is Johnny Hubbard. Hubbard was from Johnstown, Pa., and was primarily a Midget driver. He tried for several years to break into the Champ Car world, but was usually resigned to underfunded rides. Hubbard was killed in a dirt Modified crash at the Reading (Pa.) Fairgrounds less than three months after the race at Pocono. The Reading Fairgrounds was only 10 minutes from my house and I have very vague memories of the Hubbard crash. My father was on the track crew at Reading and talked several times over the years about how horrific the Hubbard crash was. Hubbard's car that he was killed in was owned by a guy named Bob Seidel from Boyertown, Pa. Seidel never returned to Reading after Hubbard was killed in his car.

Kinda weird that Hubbard was included in the cards, since he did not even run any Champ Car races in 1976.

Last edited by Bored5000; 05-21-2020 at 01:14 AM.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:24 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlflyer1 View Post
Don't know how I missed this thread until now but, since its been brought back to the top, I have to post the following Richard Petty item. My father was a huge Petty fan so I became one as well growing up.

The picture is from a 1971 race won by Petty that my father took our family to back when they raced at Trenton, NJ. My father took the photo at the end of the race when Pettys car was in victory lane. Sometime during the 1980s I found an address for Petty Enterprises and sent it hoping to get it signed.

It wasn't long before it came back with Pettys unmistakable autograph along with a nice note that seeing the photo brought back good memories as he enjoyed racing at that track before it was closed.
Thanks for posting that Richard Petty photo and sharing that story, Scott. Good stuff. Wonder how many autographs Petty has signed over the past 60 years?

Last edited by Bored5000; 05-20-2020 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:48 PM
Kin K.

Very cool to hear about how that all used to work. I was watching an early 1970s Indianapolis 500 on YouTube and the in-race commercial said they'd be showing the Monaco GP the next weekend. Now they are on the same day. Little nuggets I love hearing about.

-kin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
Looking forward to Sunday with the Indy 500 and Coca-Cola 600 always a great day of racing on TV!

My mother was such a fan of the Indy 500. When I was a kid (I'm 65) I remember the race was on Monday (Memorial Day) and was only broadcast on the radio. So we would listen to the race live on the radio, then on Saturday the race was on Wide World of Sports on TV. At least that's my memory lol!

So I'll have my TV tuned to the races, and for good measure I'll have the radio feed streaming out by the pool. It's going to be sunny and hot here in NE Florida so Sunday should be a great day!

Larry

Old 07-01-2020, 06:35 PM
Mic.hael Mu.mby

Default re. racing items

I collect original photos. Baseball is my main interest, but I have picked up about a dozen vintage prints c. 1915-1925 that I would like to sell. I realize most of these comments are about cards, but maybe someone on this thread likes photos. This stuff isn't easy to come by.
lumberjack
Old 07-22-2020, 06:08 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

I want to give a huge recommendation to Charles Leerhsen's 2012 book "Blood and Smoke: A True Tale of Mystery, Mayhem and the Birth of the Indy 500." Even though the book was released in print in 2012, it was just made available as an audiobook earlier this month. For collectors of the T36 set, this book is a treasure trove when it comes to learning about the drivers included in that set.

https://www.amazon.com/Blood-Smoke-M...s=books&sr=1-1

I am only about 1/4 of the way through listening to the audiobook (and have not even reached the start of the first Indy 500), and I have already learned tons of interesting stories about numerous T36 drivers. For example:

* Barney Oldfield, unquestionably the biggest star of auto racing's early days, rationalized that the frightful dangers of 1910s racing sure beat the alternative:

"I would rather be dead than dead broke," Oldfield was fond of saying.

* "Smiling George" Robertson was known to motivate his pit crew to work faster by getting out of his car and hitting them with wrenches during lengthy pit stops. Robertson was also alleged to have thrown wrenches out of his car at drivers attempting to pass him. Robertson admitted to the first charge, but vehemently denied the second accusation. To make his point, Robertson picked up a bucket of bolts and explained:

"This is what I use," said Robertson. "They are cheaper and work just as good. I might need the wrench for something else."

True to his nickname, Robertson is shown sporting a huge smile on his T36 card.

* French driver Victor Hemery was known as "The Surly One" due to his less than pleasant personality.

* David Bruce-Brown was an heir to the Lorillard's tobacco fortune. For card collectors, Lorillard's is known for their 1887 set of boxing cards.

* Italian born Ralph DePalma was almost always stereotyped in newspapers with Italian tropes of the day. For example, newspapers often wrote that DePalma preferred beating Oldfield on the track even above eating five plates of spaghetti.

* Lewis Strang, who was the nephew of fellow T36 driver Walter Christie, was killed is a road accident when his car overturned in a ditch at the breakneck speed of five miles per hour as Strang was trying to avoid an oncoming farmer. Strang would frequently carry coins in his pocket so that he could toss the change in the air and make a quick getaway from adoring fans as the crowd scattered to grab the money off the ground.

* The aforementioned Walter Christie's lasting legacy was as a tank designer for the Russian and British armies during World War II. During his racing career, Christie often drove a controversial twin-engine car that allowed the machine to operate in both front- and rear-wheel drive. The unique vehicle was frequently disqualified before a race even began, however, if the promoter actually cared about enforcing the "stock" rules of entries.

Last edited by Bored5000; 07-22-2020 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-08-2020, 08:06 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Wow, did anyone else notice the raw 1972 STP Petty auction that ended tonight on eBay -- $1,225 final hammer price with four bidders over $522?

Only a few years ago, this was a $125-150 card. I sold two of my three Petty STP cards 3-4 years ago for 10 percent of what that auction ended at tonight. Wonder what a Lorenzen with car would go for right now?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-STP-Ri...QAAOSwZzNfnykX

Last edited by Bored5000; 11-08-2020 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-08-2020, 08:17 PM

Eddie, I saw that and was shocked! Maybe it's time to sell my extra (from you, if my memory serves me).

An Allison sold the other night for $100 or best offer. Had a tack hole. I thought the price was right or even a little high for an Allison with a tack hole.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-STP-1-...app-cvip-panel
Old 11-08-2020, 08:22 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Eddie, I saw that and was shocked! Maybe it's time to sell my extra (from you, if my memory serves me).

An Allison sold the other night for $100 or best offer. Had a tack hole. I thought the price was right or even a little high for an Allison with a tack hole.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-STP-1-...app-cvip-panel
I only saw that Allison card a few minutes ago when I was looking at the sold listings. I missed it when was it was listed prior to the sale. For $100 or BO, I thought that was kinda cheap for how tough Allison is in the set. I didn't realize how tough Allison is in the set until you clued me in a few years ago, and you are right that his card very rarely surfaces for sale.

If I didn't have an Allison card, I would have been all over that for $100 -- even with the tack hole.

Last edited by Bored5000; 11-08-2020 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-08-2020, 08:40 PM
$cott Cl1nt0n

I was watching that auction as well. I figured to blow everyone out of the water with my bid of $300 or so. . A number of the non big 4 sport cards have been exploding along with the basketball and football Covid craze. Solid sale price on tha Lampo Clay that ended tonight as well.
Old 04-04-2021, 07:08 AM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

And expect it to go a lot higher. This card is a $50k card

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2021, 07:09 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Cant imagine who the consignor might be.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-04-2021, 02:10 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezez420 View Post
And expect it to go a lot higher. This card is a $50k card

Looks like you are going to be right. I collect racing cards, but I admit to being somewhat oblivious to how high the Brown card could go if one appeared at auction.
Old 04-04-2021, 10:15 AM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

Well it’s not me. I have one already.

Old 04-04-2021, 03:09 PM
P.aul Orl,in

How many Browns are out there? Only four graded, but there have to be a bunch in sets and collections out there not graded. Any roll calls? I need it for my set, but not paying this for it.
Old 04-04-2021, 04:44 PM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

There aren’t many out there at all. The card is a short print along with CP Rodgers. Both died during the release. The card is as rare or rarer than the McKinley and Weightlifter Card

Old 04-04-2021, 05:28 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

I picked up a type card tonight from an extremely rare racing game dating to either 1937 or 1938. I had never even seen an example of the cards before, but a seller listed 46 different cards in individual auctions from what was obviously a board game. The game contains driver cards from all the stars of the day and many of the past Indianapolis 500 winners.

I occasionally do eBay searches of the some of the early Indy winners, and had never seen even seen a driver type card from the game prior to the past few days. The cards are intriguing, since the that era is such a black hole of racing cards.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-193...p2047675.l2557

I mostly struck out trying to find additional information on the game via a Google search. I could not find even a single past sale of the game or any of the driver cards. Surprisingly, the only additional information I was able to find through Google came via a Beckett checklist for the game that shows 48 different cards.

https://www.beckett.com/racing/1937/...-indy-500-game
Old 04-04-2021, 05:32 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

After making payment for the Frank Lockhart card I won, I wrote the eBay seller asking if he could provide any additional information on the game and its cards. The seller did not know a lot, but he did have some interesting information:

"I purchased the cards several years ago, hoping to find the game that accompanied them but only recently was able to figure out what the game was. I had all of the information on a Word file on my computer and, just yesterday, my hard drive failed; and, to make matters worse, my back-up disk (external drive) was somehow wiped clean. I believe I was able to piece together information on the game from the results of an auction house and from a copy of the game at Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum that I located through wikimedia. Here's the link.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...board_game.jpg

eBay sometimes removes links from communications between members so do a Google search for '1938 Indy 500 board game.' Look at images on the search and it should be on the right hand side of the fourth row down.

It would appear to be an exceptionally rare game that, to the best of my knowledge, has only sold once at auction.

Sadly, I purchased the cards so long ago that I no longer know where I did so. In the 1990s, I would go antiquing in Ohio and Indiana so it seems likely that it was on one of those trips. I just can't be sure."

Last edited by Bored5000; 04-04-2021 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-04-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
After making payment for the Frank Lockhart card I won, I wrote the eBay seller asking if he could provide any additional information on the game and its cards. The seller did not know a lot, but he did have some interesting information:

"I purchased the cards several years ago, hoping to find the game that accompanied them but only recently was able to figure out what the game was. I had all of the information on a Word file on my computer and, just yesterday, my hard drive failed; and, to make matters worse, my back-up disk (external drive) was somehow wiped clean. I believe I was able to piece together information on the game from the results of an auction house and from a copy of the game at Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum that I located through wikimedia. Here's the link.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...board_game.jpg

eBay sometimes removes links from communications between members so do a Google search for '1938 Indy 500 board game.' Look at images on the search and it should be on the right hand side of the fourth row down.

It would appear to be an exceptionally rare game that, to the best of my knowledge, has only sold once at auction.

Sadly, I purchased the cards so long ago that I no longer know where I did so. In the 1990s, I would go antiquing in Ohio and Indiana so it seems likely that it was on one of those trips. I just can't be sure."
I think this is a vastly underrated set. I recently suggested it to my friend Kin who I believe is also a member here. The Wilbur Shaw board game turns up from time to time at auction, but never with the cards, just the board and the “packaging”.
Old 08-15-2021, 08:09 PM
Kin K.

Eddie,

Which of these cards did you pick up. I remember seeing these on eBay and just couldn't go strong at the time. I just wanted a type card myself.

I haven't been on N54 much but am once again shifting my focus back toward the vintage Indy 500 stuff. One of my biggest shortcomings in my inability to focus. I've still been slowly picking up some of the vintage cards and I assume have been bidding against some other members.

Hope all is well!
-kin

Quote:
I picked up a type card tonight from an extremely rare racing game dating to either 1937 or 1938. I had never even seen an example of the cards before, but a seller listed 46 different cards in individual auctions from what was obviously a board game. The game contains driver cards from all the stars of the day and many of the past Indianapolis 500 winners.

I occasionally do eBay searches of the some of the early Indy winners, and had never seen even seen a driver type card from the game prior to the past few days. The cards are intriguing, since the that era is such a black hole of racing cards.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-193...p2047675.l2557

I mostly struck out trying to find additional information on the game via a Google search. I could not find even a single past sale of the game or any of the driver cards. Surprisingly, the only additional information I was able to find through Google came via a Beckett checklist for the game that shows 48 different cards.

https://www.beckett.com/racing/1937/...-indy-500-game

Old 08-16-2021, 03:11 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beansballcardblog View Post
Eddie,

Which of these cards did you pick up. I remember seeing these on eBay and just couldn't go strong at the time. I just wanted a type card myself.

I haven't been on N54 much but am once again shifting my focus back toward the vintage Indy 500 stuff. One of my biggest shortcomings in my inability to focus. I've still been slowly picking up some of the vintage cards and I assume have been bidding against some other members.

Hope all is well!
-kin
I picked up Frank Lockhart. I wanted a 500 winner as my type card. Lockhart is interesting story, having won the Indy 500 and setting a land speed record before dying on another land speed record attempt (the video is on YouTube).

I know it is not vintage, but I have been following the Topps Formula 1 releases of the past year. Many of the auction prices, especially for Hamilton and Verstappen, are mind blowing to me. I have not picked up any of those cards yet, but I will. Even prices of early Ayrton Senna and Michael Schumacher cards from the 1980s and '90s have exploded over the past year.

I picked up a Mulford T227 card, which I have wanted for a while, recently from a board member. I have also started working on a T36 basic set. I currently at 10/25 cards on that.

Happy to see you are still around and still collecting racing.

Last edited by Bored5000; 08-16-2021 at 03:18 AM.
Old 08-16-2021, 09:31 PM
Kin K.

I haven't gotten much into the F! because honestly, I just don't find the racing interesting. I bought a Lewis Hamilton refractor on COMC, so I might have it by 2025.

I'm in the Montgomery Club, so I also have a box of the F1 Sapphire. I may open it, or if prices rise I might sell it. Not really sure.

Congrats on the T227 Mulford. I was able to get one last year and will probably pick up more if I happen to see them.

We should chat on the T36 cards. I am at 69/100 on the master set and have at least a dozen multiples. Maybe I have one or two you need.

I'm definitely still around. Like my actual collecting, I have trouble with focus on sites. I used to write, but now I am mostly on YouTube. I've really neglected Net54 and TCDB over the last 2-3 years but am starting to get back to it.

Hopefully I stay focused this time. I've discovered that I just don't care much for current sports or cards, so hopefully I've gotten to the point I can achieve focus.

-kin

Quote:
I picked up Frank Lockhart. I wanted a 500 winner as my type card. Lockhart is interesting story, having won the Indy 500 and setting a land speed record before dying on another land speed record attempt (the video is on YouTube).

I know it is not vintage, but I have been following the Topps Formula 1 releases of the past year. Many of the auction prices, especially for Hamilton and Verstappen, are mind blowing to me. I have not picked up any of those cards yet, but I will. Even prices of early Ayrton Senna and Michael Schumacher cards from the 1980s and '90s have exploded over the past year.

I picked up a Mulford T227 card, which I have wanted for a while, recently from a board member. I have also started working on a T36 basic set. I currently at 10/25 cards on that.

Happy to see you are still around and still collecting racing.

Old 04-04-2021, 09:04 PM
R0b Sm!th

Quote:
There aren’t many out there at all. The card is a short print along with CP Rodgers. Both died during the release. The card is as rare or rarer than the McKinley and Weightlifter Card
It looks like both the Brown and Rodgers cards are equally rare with 4 or so PSA graded examples. What is the reason for the Brown card currently selling for so much more than the Rodgers? Is it because he is an auto racer rather than an aviator, or is it something else?
Old 04-04-2021, 10:31 PM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

There are more Rodgers which are in SGC holders. There are only 4 Browns I believe out there.

Old 04-04-2021, 11:08 PM
R0b Sm!th

Quote:
There are more Rodgers which are in SGC holders. There are only 4 Browns I believe out there.
The SGC population report is not the easiest to use, but I am seeing 2 Browns and 3 Rodgers as being graded to go along with 4 of each in the PSA population report.
Old 04-05-2021, 03:59 AM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

I believe both browns in PSA holders now

Old 06-19-2021, 09:34 AM
Jamie

The Bruce Brown SGC A just sold on Hunt for I believe 18K (before premium).
Old 06-19-2021, 11:52 AM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

Went for $21,150 for an ugly Authentic missing bottom left corner. Just further solidifies the scarcity and rarity of the card.

If someone is interested in the PSA 2 or the set it will be available at the National.