NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 07-05-2018, 08:00 PM
pokerplyr80's Avatar
pokerplyr80 pokerplyr80 is offline
je.sse @rnot
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: California
Posts: 2,789
Default

You really can't go wrong with any of the three. I'd sell my Ruth before I'd let my Mantle rc go. I couldn't find a scan of the Ruth, but here's the Mantle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170512_101145.jpg (75.4 KB, 164 views)
__________________
Successful transactions with peter spaeth, don's cards, vwtdi, wolf441, 111gecko, Clydewally, Jim, SPMIDD, MattyC, jmb, botn, E107collector, begsu1013, and a few others.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/pokerplyr80

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 07-05-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-06-2018, 07:41 AM
blinkme323 blinkme323 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 5
Default

Thanks for all of the insight guys! I ended up pulling the trigger on a really nice Mantle last night. I'll post some pics when it is in hand.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-06-2018, 07:46 AM
Bored5000's Avatar
Bored5000 Bored5000 is offline
Eddie S.
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Fleetwood, Pa.
Posts: 867
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLongley View Post
In regards to the Jordan, I own his fleer rookie, but have stayed away from the Star....reason being you will notice that only Beckett grades them and they do it purely for the money, because after the cards became popular the owner of Star still had the original printing plates and began printing them again in the early 90s and it's impossible to tell if you're buying an original or a reprint....
Hasn't that been discounted as BS? STAR Jordan cards were reprinted years later with the original plates, yet there are still only a few hundred total that have ever been graded? That doesn't compute. From a purely speculative financial consideration, the Jordan card may be the best option. If PSA ever does start grading them, the card would explode in value above what they command now, IMO.

Anyway, of the three cards listed, I would go with Ruth in a heartbeat over the other two because...it's Babe Ruth.
__________________
Flawless BST transactions with Arazi4442, wrestlingcardking and Justus.

Last edited by Bored5000; 07-06-2018 at 07:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-06-2018, 07:59 AM
Neal's Avatar
Neal Neal is offline
Ne@l K
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: US
Posts: 1,161
Default

Ruth
I have never ever sold a Ruth (now have three) but have sold Mantles, including a 51.

Tough call on either, can't go wrong with those choices . unless the choice is for a Star Jordan. PASS
__________________
Neal

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-06-2018, 09:07 AM
BLongley's Avatar
BLongley BLongley is offline
Brian
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 272
Default

I have not heard it to be BS, and PSA did grade one.... one of the members here has it...it's the only one they ever graded and did so a few years ago...and decided against ever doing so again due to the reprint risk. It certainly seems that there is no proof that they weren't reprinted, if you buy it in the original bag it was distributed in I guess is the only way to know for sure it's original.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
Hasn't that been discounted as BS? STAR Jordan cards were reprinted years later with the original plates, yet there are still only a few hundred total that have ever been graded? That doesn't compute. From a purely speculative financial consideration, the Jordan card may be the best option. If PSA ever does start grading them, the card would explode in value above what they command now, IMO.

Anyway, of the three cards listed, I would go with Ruth in a heartbeat over the other two because...it's Babe Ruth.

Last edited by BLongley; 07-06-2018 at 09:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-06-2018, 09:51 AM
Bored5000's Avatar
Bored5000 Bored5000 is offline
Eddie S.
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Fleetwood, Pa.
Posts: 867
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLongley View Post
I have not heard it to be BS, and PSA did grade one.... one of the members here has it...it's the only one they ever graded and did so a few years ago...and decided against ever doing so again due to the reprint risk. It certainly seems that there is no proof that they weren't reprinted, if you buy it in the original bag it was distributed in I guess is the only way to know for sure it's original.
I completely understand the concern about the Jordan 101 Star card, so I am not trying to be snarky. But I do wonder about why the graded population of them is not higher if there are so many undetectable reprints of them out there. Getting a Jordan 101 card (especially in higher grades) into a holder would be like printing money.

https://jordancards.com/blog/the-rea...rt-steve-taft/
__________________
Flawless BST transactions with Arazi4442, wrestlingcardking and Justus.

Last edited by Bored5000; 07-06-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-06-2018, 10:14 AM
BLongley's Avatar
BLongley BLongley is offline
Brian
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 272
Default

I completely agree with that thought... it seems only a few hundred graded, and it doesn't make sense...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
I completely understand the concern about the Jordan 101 Star card, so I am not trying to be snarky. But I do wonder about why the graded population of them is not higher if there are so many undetectable reprints of them out there. Getting a Jordan 101 card (especially in higher grades) into a holder would be like printing money.

https://jordancards.com/blog/the-rea...rt-steve-taft/
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-06-2018, 01:03 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 14,248
Default

Multiple people have told me the reason PSA stopped grading is not that new ones were being run off printing plates, but that they had inadvertently graded some "Type II" cards -- preproduction samples never intended for distribution -- and were concerned they could not tell the difference.
__________________
Buy high, sell low.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-06-2018, 01:17 PM
packs packs is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,942
Default

Call me simple but it seems to me that the explanation for there not being too many of them graded is that none of the companies will grade them.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-06-2018, 01:42 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 14,248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Call me simple but it seems to me that the explanation for there not being too many of them graded is that none of the companies will grade them.
Beckett grades them, so that does not explain it. There are tons of Beckett-graded Star cards.
__________________
Buy high, sell low.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:26 PM.


ebay GSB