NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-07-2005, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Default Sign of the times

Posted By: warshawlaw

The steroid scandal is taking its toll on sports memorabilia. Did anyone notice that the Bonds #700 HR ball just sold at Sotheby's auction for $102,000, as compared to its $804,000 initial sales price? As one of only 3 possible #700 balls in the world, I would find this shocking (although not half as shocking as the first buyer must have found it--ouch), if it wasn't for the rumors, etc., about Bonds. This is in the same auction where a PSA 1 Wagner brought $132,000. Think about that: one of only 3 baseballs ever hit for a 700th HR costs less than a Wagner card that has at least 50 known examples.

Old 07-07-2005, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

But how much of it has to do with the fact that the vast majority of the public dislikes Bonds? If Mac had made it to 700 do you really think a ball like this would have sold for so little? Then there is also the recent debacle about the legitamacy of various pieces of memorabilia being tied to hostoric events. Granted, MLB has gone to great lengths to ensure that balls from recent historic events are identifiable, but there is still a growing cloud over the claims of hisotic pieces of memorabilia.

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Old 07-07-2005, 10:48 AM
Administrator

that we can be sure of.

I'm not so sure McGwire would command the same bucks today as in the past after his performance in front of congress. He'd certainly command more than Bonds, since Bonds is and always has been a public jerk.

Old 07-07-2005, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dstudeba

Did people like Eddie Murray? I thought he was known as pretty surly, yet his 500 HR ball went for what $500,000?

Old 07-07-2005, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

When the ball first sold on Overstock.com (?!?) I thought the price was so high I wondered if the winning bid was legetimate. I think the most recent price was more realistic.

I've always find it interesting that humans place such great signficance on things that are divisable by 10 or 100.

Old 07-07-2005, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

And if you are the owner of the last home run ball that Bonds hit last season, aren't you praying really hard right now that Bonds just calls it quits...

Old 07-07-2005, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David H

That home run ball is worth no more than the cost of a brand new ball from Dick's Sporting Goods, ala $3.

Old 07-07-2005, 12:45 PM
Administrator

A new ball is worth around $7-$10 depending on where you buy it. Of course, since the Bonds one is stained and used, there is some depreciation

Old 07-07-2005, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

but, it would be safe to assume that the ball was not marked with the appropriate MLB holograms and DNA ink, so I may end up buying, without my knowledge, that $3 ball from Dick's Sporting Goods anyways.

I better get it PSA/DNA approved first.

Old 07-07-2005, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

I wonder what #699 and 701 would fetch?

Old 07-07-2005, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

When a player is going for a significant hit or home run mark, MLB uses special forensically marked balls whenever that player is at bat. Even if you accidentally dropped your prize possesion in a giant tub of identical baseballs and no longer knew which was the Bonds home run ball, MLB could tell you.